Most Malaysians who give up citizenship are Chinese

The Straits Times

CHINESE make up the largest number of Malaysians who have renounced their citizenship, followed by Malays and Indians, Parliament was told yesterday.

The Home Ministry’s parliamentary secretary Abdul Rahman Ibrahim said 16,474 Malaysians gave up their citizenship between 2000 and 2006.

Of these, 87 per cent or 14,316 people were Chinese, 1,098 were Malays (6.6 per cent) and 822 were Indians (5 per cent). The remainder comprised other races.

Mr Abdul Rahman said these Malaysians had applied for citizenship to India, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Japan, Canada, Indonesia, Britain, the United States, Taiwan, Thailand, Germany, New Zealand, France, Austria, Ireland, Sweden, Belgium, Brunei, Finland and Jordan.

As to why they had opted to leave for other countries, he replied: ‘The main reason is the (quality of life) in those countries.’

‘They also consider the working environment, such as better opportunities and better pay. And some consider education for their children as a reason to apply for citizenship in a particular country,’ he was quoted as saying by the online news portal Malaysiakini.

[quote=“alvino77”] Mr Abdul Rahman said these Malaysians had applied for citizenship to India, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Japan, Canada, Indonesia, Britain, the United States, Taiwan, Thailand, Germany, New Zealand, France, Austria, Ireland, Sweden, Belgium, Brunei, Finland and Jordan.

As to why they had opted to leave for other countries, he replied: ‘The main reason is the (quality of life) in those countries.’ [/quote]

Quality of life in India and Sri lanka?? :shock: …perhaps other reason might goes par with quality of life i guess…
:evil:

[quote=“smallee”]
Quality of life in India and Sri lanka?? :shock: …perhaps other reason might goes par with quality of life i guess…
:evil:[/quote]

Hmmm… I think it is we who have to update ourselves a little bit. How far has India progressed? In a recent list, the world’s richest man is an Indian, surpassing Bill Gates (4th)!

[quote=“smallee”][quote=“alvino77”] Mr Abdul Rahman said these Malaysians had applied for citizenship to India, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Japan, Canada, Indonesia, Britain, the United States, Taiwan, Thailand, Germany, New Zealand, France, Austria, Ireland, Sweden, Belgium, Brunei, Finland and Jordan.

As to why they had opted to leave for other countries, he replied: ‘The main reason is the (quality of life) in those countries.’ [/quote]

Perhaps in bollywood? :lol:

[quote=“ian”][quote=“smallee”]

Hmmm… I think it is we who have to update ourselves a little bit. How far has India progressed? In a recent list, the world’s richest man is an Indian, surpassing Bill Gates (4th)![/quote]

A bit of an update. Turns out to be an error, world’s richest is [url=http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/322239_richest04.html]Carlos Slim.

Still, India’s Mukesh Ambani being able to contest amongst the world’s richest says something about India that we don’t realize.

This is sad, what is the reason for not being able to have dual citizenship?

[quote=“ian”][quote=“ian”][quote=“smallee”]

Hmmm… I think it is we who have to update ourselves a little bit. How far has India progressed? In a recent list, the world’s richest man is an Indian, surpassing Bill Gates (4th)![/quote]

A bit of an update. Turns out to be an error, world’s richest is [url=http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/322239_richest04.html]Carlos Slim.

Still, India’s Mukesh Ambani being able to contest amongst the world’s richest says something about India that we don’t realize.[/quote]

Ian… the richest man in India got wat to do with the quality of life in the country?

Guys… u have to be there to see it to believe… quality of life in this country… unbelievable… perhaps maybe because of the size of the country and the populations.

I’m saying there are opportunties that arise that we may not be able to see from our current viewpoint.

I’ll just drop the point, since it’s not getting through at all.

Ian… u r right and I understand where u r heading la… Oil and gas industry in India is actually booming now…

Well, i am right now in India, and have been here for almost a year already. It is undeniable that the quality of life here is not that good, but I’ve seen it for myself, it WILL be one of the world’s superpowers in the future, perhaps in 100 years?

The sheer size of the country and population is the hindering factor to its progress and development, but also it’s one of its strength. By 2030, it is projected to surpass China to be the world’s most populated country.

The economy here is vibrant and is growing by leaps and bounds. During my whole year here, the Indian rupees appreciated so much that now I’m actually feeling that the cost of living is comparable to that of Malaysia. The Indian rupees is appreciating to an all-time high level, while the USD is depreciating, sadly I’m unlucky to be on the receiving end. The economic opportunities here are abundant, mostly thanks to the FDI from those advanced Western countries. I hope you do know that India is leading in the IT’s outsourcing industry in today’s world. All these, thanks to India’s knowledgeable young population (one of the few countries in the world to have the youngest populations) who are extremely fluent and conversable in English. All these are signs of a country becoming stronger and competitive in all fields.

I guess the reason why people actually migrated to India is due to the undeniable fact that the economic opportunities here are plenty and not saturated at all. Anyone who manage to grasp hold of the development trends here is definitely benefiting and the patience will be fruitful.

China, the rising Dragon. India, the rising Elephant.