More world-class complexes in S’wak

Source: http://www.easterntimes.com.my/130406/home_1.htm#More_world-class_complexes_in_S�wak

More world-class complexes in Swak
By Standley Dikod

KUCHING : More world-class shopping complexes should be built in Sarawak to attract tourists to come the State.
This was stated by Minister of Urban Development and Tourism Dato Sri Wong Soon Koh at the launching of the 12-acre Spring shopping centre, yesterday.
Many tourists prefer to visit Kuala Lumpur than Kuching because KL has more and better shopping facilities, Wong said.
The Spring shoping centre located at Simpang Tiga here is expected to be completed by the end of 2007.
It is being developed by PSB Realty Development Sdn Bhd.
Once completed it will house 150 stores and fashion outlets and 1,320 car parking spaces.
Earlier, Wong said for the past 25 years the government had been doing it best to transform towns into cities in Sarawak .
It is much easier to bring about infra structure development but it is difficult to change the peoples lifestyle.
He hoped the people would complement the governments efforts by changing their lifestyles to keep pace with the changing times.

My Personal Point Of View …

To build out / up all these world class shopping ctr complexes to attract who?

Many tourists came from MUCH advance country … they have great building in their country … they are here to experience something that they do not have back home … the historical … the green jungle … the real simple life … and many more :wink:

Isn’t that we should high-light all these rather than to so-call compete with other?

Well, just my 02 cents of view … peace!!!

I can’t agree more with nightwatch. If you notice, most units in the shopping centres in Miri are never fully occupied. I don’t know about Kuching. Maybe they have high occupancy rate but not in Miri. There’s no reason to build more high class shopping centres to attract tourists. The present ones are more than enough. It’s a sore eye to have units in shopping centres to be remained idle. It’s just ugly looking. I believe the most prominent reason for this is that Miri does not have enough population to fill the gaps. If you look at KL, no matter which shopping centre, big or small, it is always 98% occupied. This is because KL has maybe 20 times more people compared to Miri. So to build shopping centres would be a waste of resources. The money should be put into beautifying our new City!!

It’s the same with Kuching. Trust me.

If we are talking about a visitor having to fly all the way to Kuching or Miri for shopping, he/she would have preferred to stay back in KL or Singapore or their own home country. I think if we want to attract more overseas visitors, we need to built or develop something that is unique and appealing enough for the visitors to come. An example would be the Mulu resort. It has to be made more easily accessible, preferably by road. Flying is good but seat is limited and expensive. Hotel in Mulu is also quite expensive (by Sarawak’s standard). So many budget travellers will think twice before going.

Sarawak is bordered by Brunei and Indonesia. So we also have many visitors from these two countries who come here for a day/weekend trip with the main objective of shopping. But it seems that Bruneian now going all the way to KK instead of Miri or Limbang. I believe KK has more to offer than just shopping. Also, Brunei custom is more strict… it confiscate meat product, etc. So, the appeals of shopping also diminish!

Therefore would building more shopping helps? I don’t think so. There are so many vacant lots around. The population at the moment is simply insufficient to substain.

More world-class shopping complexes should be built in Sarawak to attract tourists to come the State. This was stated by Minister of Urban Development and Tourism Dato Sri Wong Soon Koh at the launching of the 12-acre Spring shopping centre, yesterday. Many tourists prefer to visit Kuala Lumpur than Kuching because KL has more and better shopping facilities, Wong said. The Spring shoping centre located at Simpang Tiga here is expected to be completed by the end of 2007.

So the advent of a new shopping complex which is only going to be completed by the end of 2007 to facilitate the Visit Malaysia Year 2007 which also ends end of 2007 is good strategic move to lure them tourists to a construction site? :lol:

It is much easier to bring about infra structure development but it is difficult to change the peoples lifestyle.
He hoped the people would complement the governments efforts by changing their lifestyles to keep pace with the changing times.

Not that I am condemning the government’s effort, but what else is there to change in ones’ lifestyle after all the price hikes during the changing times? Spend more to make the rich richer and the poor poorer? Or try save more by refraining ourselves from going to shopping malls? I believe there are a lot more of better things to develop on with all our tax monies than spending it on shopping malls to lure tourists at this stage. Here’s a suggestion: clean up the dirty rivers for real international water sports to lure more tourists instead. But wait a second, I think the cronies are more interested in quick returns, right? Well, so much for voicing up my opinion. :stuck_out_tongue:

The problem is, if everyone ‘save more’ by refraining themselves from going to shopping malls, that would bring the economy to a standstill. The small business that already aren’t doing well would sink, causing more unemployment, and that would have a devastating effect.

I don’t think we need more shopping complexes, just need to fix up the infrastructure surrounding the existing ones…

Yes, the short-term fix… that reminds me - did you know that by encouraging people to buy cars they would eventually slow down the economy? Because by dropping car downpayment to nearly ZERO, the cars would be snapped up by more people, creating a short term boost in monetary movement - but eventually when these people figure out they CAN’T afford the car, they’ll end up staying at home and not spending. The fuel price hike isn’t helping either.

AFAIK, the river is not suitable yet for watersports, but the sea is, at least (certain parts).

[quote=“Jack”]It is much easier to bring about infra structure development but it is difficult to change the peoples lifestyle.
Not that I am condemning the government’s effort, but what else is there to change in ones’ lifestyle after all the price hikes during the changing times? Spend more to make the rich richer and the poor poorer? Or try save more by refraining ourselves from going to shopping malls? I believe there are a lot more of better things to develop on with all our tax monies than spending it on shopping malls to lure tourists at this stage. Here’s a suggestion: clean up the dirty rivers for real international water sports to lure more tourists instead. But wait a second, I think the cronies are more interested in quick returns, right? Well, so much for voicing up my opinion. :P[/quote]

Not sure which river is that, but as for the Miri river, it has its share of wonderful annual water sport events back in the late 20th century (e.g. Shell raft races, regattas, etc. way before the river mouth is relocated. The Miri Marine Department has even played a role in controlling the river traffic during those days just to get the events going). Keep in mind this happened during the days the squatters are still around, the river has yet to be crowned the dirtiest in Sarawak, and the shipyards haven’t relocated to Kuala Baram. Can’t seem to find any articles about it from the Internet, but I remember it because I have seen it when I was a young kid. Now there are less of this type of events on the Miri river - all we have now are the casual PBC members rowing along the river, and at certain times, you will see those with jetskis zipping around and actually having fun with the ‘air longkang’ while trying not to get run over by vessels. :lol: