More patrol cars for Sarawak

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/1/10/southneast/16500941&sec=southneast

Wednesday January 10, 2007

More patrol cars for Sarawak

By SHARON LING

Sarawak police received a boost when it received 93 new mobile patrol vehicles recently.

The cars will be distributed to all 27 police districts in the state to help improve the effectiveness of patrols in fighting crime.

Sarawak Commissioner of Police Deputy Comm Datuk Talib Jamal said the extra cars brought the total number in the state to 232.

In line with this, all OCPDs should maximise the use of their patrol cars to monitor crime-prone areas, reduce the response time to calls or reports from the public and help to watch out for rising water levels during the rainy season, he said when receiving the fleet from logistics director Datuk Zainal Mohd Tahir at the police transport branch in Batu Kawa, Kuching.

He called on the drivers and crew to be observant and sensitive to their surroundings in order to carry out their duties effectively.

Hopefully, with the new vehicles, we can increase the frequency of patrols, he added.

DCP Talib also said the new patrol cars came at the right time as Sarawak police were planning to set up a highway mobile patrol unit along the Trans-Borneo Highway.

This proposed unit will be stationed in Kuching, Sibu, Bintulu, Miri and Mukah and will be given responsibility to patrol specific areas along the highway, he said.

Zainal said police should increase patrols during Visit Malaysia 2007.

Their presence will make tourists feel safe, he said, adding that the number of tourist police personnel should also be increased.

To mark the handover, police trainers later gave a demonstration of defensive driving as well as how suspects are chased down and arrested.

more patrol cars is useless if the police is corrupted

what i feel weird was… everytime there’s a big crime case in miri…it’s not the local police which solves it, it’s either the teams from other part of sarawak or from bukit aman.

Bull eye!!! Agree wt u SoulFly… :smiley:

Speaking of the patrol cars. I suspect there was only one car out at a time. Few days back I was in Piasau I saw an accident and a patrol car was there to help out the situation abit, and I saw and recognized the 2 officers inside. Then I went to town for a meeting, and I saw ‘another’ patrol car patrolling the town area, which stopped by a durian seller to check out some things (or maybe order durians). As I looked closer it was the same officers I saw in Piasau!

I may be wrong but that made it look like it was all the same car patrolling around. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“soulfly”]more patrol cars is useless if the police is corrupted

what i feel weird was… everytime there’s a big crime case in miri…it’s not the local police which solves it, it’s either the teams from other part of sarawak or from bukit aman.[/quote]

emm i beg u to be specific on corrupted police. Only a hand few bad apples.

If the local police doing the raid, the safety of their family is at stake. This is a normal procedure to solve big crime case. If there is a big crime case in Kuching, they will sent Miri CID or Unit Jenayah Berat to go there and solve it. It’s not wierd at all, as the policemen and their family is a human being as we are.

And yes, the Miri Police as i have mention quite a few times in other post does not have enough patrol cars or MPV. And Miri is quite a big place…