MNS Astronomy weekend 1st-3rd Aug 2008

MNS Miri is organising the following astronomy events over the weekend of 1st - 3rd Aug:

Fri, 1st Aug:
Evening - Astronomy talk & star gazing (if weather permits) at SMK Lutong

Sat, 2nd Aug:
Afternoon - Astronomy talk & sun observation (if weather permits) at Pustaka
Evening - Astronomy talk & star gazing (if weather permits) at SMK Bekenu

Sun, 3rd Aug:
Free slots during the day, and a sidewalk astronomy observation session in the evening if weather permits

Talks will mainly be on astronomy basics and amateur astronomy as a hobby. Other possible subjects might include astrophotography - through telescopes or wide-field using dslr.

please PM me if there is any interest in fitting in group talks on saturday morning, or sunday where there are currently free slots. priority will be given to schools. talks will be given in english, with BM or chinese translations for terms used where necessary.

all events organised this time are free

any interest in a get together to talk astrophotography sunday afternoon?
please PM me.

bump

nice…i will attend it…

sorry, my mistake - as was kindly pointed out to me… i meant:

if anyone interested in joining an astrophotography talk/get-together on sunday 3rd august afternoon, please PM me.

the invited speaker, is passionate about public education on subjects including basic astronomy, stargazing, astrophotography and telescope making. He frequently conducts talks and presentations to school children and the general public, hosts visits by school groups to his personal observatory in Penang, and gives courses to institution of higher learning and special interest groups. his last trip to sarawak was to give a talk in sarawak observatory in kuching 2 months ago.

I am interested …

is it open to public?or only for group/schools?
and may i know the time for 3 days event?
and also for sunday’s event, where is the place?
thanks!!

those with general interest in astronomy, and are free on saturday afternoon, can please go to Pustaka Miri on saturday 2nd aug 2pm
the talk in the Pustaka is opened to the general public, not just the schools.
if the weather is good, there will also be a solar (sun) observation session using solar filter equipped telescopes after the talk.

at the moment, sunday is left free with a tentative star observation session at night (again, if the weather is good)
but if there is enough interest on any particular subject (e.g. on astrophotography, telescope making, etc.), we can have a workshop or sharing session on sunday afternoon for that. or on sunday night if the sky is cloudy…

if you are not sure what else you might like to know more about, come on saturday, we can discuss the possibilities then…

:slight_smile:

[quote=“stupidhead”]those with general interest in astronomy, and are free on saturday afternoon, can please go to Pustaka Miri on saturday 2nd aug 2pm
the talk in the Pustaka is opened to the general public, not just the schools.
if the weather is good, there will also be a solar (sun) observation session using solar filter equipped telescopes after the talk.

at the moment, sunday is left free with a tentative star observation session at night (again, if the weather is good)
but if there is enough interest on any particular subject (e.g. on astrophotography, telescope making, etc.), we can have a workshop or sharing session on sunday afternoon for that. or on sunday night if the sky is cloudy…

if you are not sure what else you might like to know more about, come on saturday, we can discuss the possibilities then…

:)[/quote]
the talk for 1st aug (smk lutong) same with talk at Pustaka (2nd Aug)?

yes, the talk in SMK lutong on 1st aug night should be the same as at pustaka on 2nd aug afternoon.

only difference is it’ll be at night and if the weather is good, there’ll be a star gazing session after the talk - naked eyes astronomy, constellations, planets, through binos, through telescopes, etc.

if sunday night is clear, we can have a star gazing session then too.

i am from smk lutong…i am joininig…

sorry ar…wanna ask…is Pustaka means Perpustakaan?
coz i am not frm miri?not familiar with the place.

[quote=“wilsontie”]sorry ar…wanna ask…is Pustaka means Perpustakaan?
coz i am not frm miri?not familiar with the place.[/quote]

Pustaka Miri is at Miri City fan, next to the swimming pool, facing the roundabout with that weird looking light tower. Auditorium is at upper floor.

the 5 milion building…bhind the Masjid or Federal building in jalan kipas

[quote=“stupidhead”][quote=“wilsontie”]sorry ar…wanna ask…is Pustaka means Perpustakaan?
coz i am not frm miri?not familiar with the place.[/quote]

Pustaka Miri is at Miri City fan, next to the swimming pool, facing the roundabout with that weird looking light tower. Auditorium is at upper floor.[/quote]
ok thanks!

The location at SMK Lutong…?
ur not making a talk the students rite…?
hmm…What time is it in the evening.?

[quote=“bunyimanok”]The location at SMK Lutong…?
ur not making a talk the students rite…?
hmm…What time is it in the evening.?[/quote]

the talks in schools, including smk lutong, are to the students. smk lutong has an astronomy club, and i imagine there will be other students joining the event also.

Program:

Friday 01st August
1900- 2200 Talk and Slideshow followed by Stargazing at SMK Lutong
Open to the public
Please register by calling Nazeri 085-453185 or Wan Chee 085-452056 or Kong 085-452474

Saturday 02nd August
1400-1600 Talk and Slideshow at Pustaka Miri Auditorium
1600-1700 Peekaboo with the Sun at Pustaka grounds

Open to the public but please call to register.
Pustaka Miri 085-422525 (Sofina or Tony)

1900-2200 Talk and Slideshow followed by Stargazing at SMK Bekenu
MNS members only, limited places. Please call to register.

Sunday 03rd August
1900-2100 Sidewalk Astronomy, Petroleum Museum, Canada Hill
Free admission, members and the public

have had three successful and really fun events so far, and i’m glad to have met a number of mc.net memebers there - sam and gang, helen & bf, great people all.

the last event for this weekend will be a sidewalk astronomy observation session tomorrow evening at petroleum museum car park - which ever is dark enough… so most likely the one where everyone go the make out… where we will set up some scopes and look at some planets and stars… if the sky is good.

we will be there at 8pm, but if the weather is good, we might be there earlier (before 7pm) to try to catch a glimpse of saturn or venus before they set early in the evening…

i will be there for sure!