MMA trainer to fight different kind of battle in Senadin

KUCHING: It may present a different kind of fight for mixed-martial arts (MMA) trainer Philemon John Edan, as he eyes standing in Senadin under the Parti Bansa Dayak Sarawak (PBDS) Baru ticket this coming state election.

Philemon, 39, is the fifth candidate confirmed by PBDS Baru after the party announced its hopefuls in Opar, Bukit Semuja, Kedup and Balai Ringin earlier.

“I am ready to face the state election and I am quite confident with my chances considering the big number of Dayak voters in Senadin added with the notion they are urban constituents who are well aware of the problem faced by many Dayaks in this country,” he told The Borneo Post when contacted yesterday.

Philemon, who coaches kick-boxing and karate, is the owner of Head Hunter Bounty Martial Art School in Miri and the nephew of Parti Rakyat Sarawak (PRS) supreme council member Richard Wil Uban. However, he was adamant of not banking on such connection to find a political footing. On his life’s mantra, Philemon said one had to be reliable, disciplined and always strive to work hard in achieving one’s goals. This attitude is something that he would bring to the State Legislative Assembly if he won on May 7.

On the prospect of challenging Sarawak United People’s Party (SUPP) heavyweight Datuk Lee Kim Shin and Democratic Action Party (DAP) candidate Baru Langub, both having bigger resources and monetary strength, he believed in the need to uphold positive attitude at all times. His main concern was to convince voters he was the right person for the job.

An ICT graduate, Philemon also holds certification in Occupational Safety and Health with working experience in the oil and gas industry.

Senadin has 27,465 registered voters and over 400 early voters consisting of police personnel and their spouses. Almost 50 per cent of the constituents are Chinese with Iban and Malay voters having 25 per cent each.

On a related note, a source from PBDS Baru said the party was set to field a former Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) grassroots leader to contest in a Bidayuh-majority seat. He, however, declined to reveal the identity of the person nor the constituency eyed.

“It shall be revealed on April 25 the nomination day,” he said.

PBDS Baru has thus far said its deputy president Patrick Anek Uren, Supreme Council member Cobbold John Lusoi, human rights activist Mark Murau Sumon and entrepreneur Pok Ungkut are its candidates in Opar, Bukit Semuja, Kedup and Balai Ringin respectively. The party, aiming to contest in about 10 seats, is in the midst of finalising the details of its candidates.

LikeTweet

Source: http://miri.my/2016/04/22/mma-trainer-to-fight-different-kind-of-battle-in-senadin/