Miri to take over city tram in bold move

MIRI: Miri will take over the city tram for its tourism industry despite its failure in Kuching.

Sarawak Tourism Board (STB) had thrown in the towel for the Kuching run in the face of the high operating cost of RM250,000 annually.

Announcing this bold move, Lee Kim Shin who is Assistant Minister of Infrastructure Development and Communications and Miri City Incorporated (MCI) tourism committee chairman said the service was expected to start in March this year.

Roped in were the citys Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry chairman Datuk Sim Hock Guan as chairman of the management committee, representatives from Sarawak Bumiputera Entrepreneur Council of Miri, hoteliers, tour operators, airlines and other stakeholders.

The industry here gave the thumbs-up to the takeover of the tourist city tram from STB, giving it a year to operate on a trial basis in Miri.

STB which introduced the free tram service in Kuching in 2003 - the first of its kind in Malaysia - handed it over to Sarawak Tourists Federation (STF) in 2005 but it was returned a year later.

The catch is that all the major stakeholders, particularly hoteliers and major shopping complexes with pickup points, will have to contribute to the operational expenses, while contributions would be collected from those intending to advertise in its flyers to be distributed to tourists.

Lee said Miri Transport Company (MTC), owned by Koperasi Serbaguna Miri which operates the fleet of city buses, would provide the professional essential service and maintenance in this venture.

Yeo Yeow Sum from MTC believed the company could lower operation costs as it is in line with its nature of business. He is expected to inspect the condition of the tram in Kuching soon.

Lee called for initial contribution from STB to help this fledgling non-profit tourism service take off in Miri, in response to comments by STB marketing manager Mary Wan Mering that STF Miri, which had shown interest, has yet to confirm its sincerity as reported in The Borneo Post on Jan 16.

This is a collective responsibility from stakeholders in the tourism and related industry in Miri and we are trying it for one year before reviewing it, he said.

The proposed tram service would be only for hotel guests of major players who paid up. The route is likely to start from Marriott Resort and Spa to the old business district and shopping complexes, Miri City Fan and Saberkas and Boulevard Commercial Centres.

All the 25 stakeholders, except one, agreed on the proposed city tram service at the meeting yesterday.

Hotels currently provide their own shuttle service for guests, and this city tram service can complement this segment for leisurely visits in the city.

Those on business or official duty can make use of taxis as this tram service runs at fixed intervals only suited to those with time on their hands, he said.

Source

Yeah. Maybe the trams would all get congested too.

All the 25 stakeholders, except one, agreed on the proposed city tram service at the meeting yesterday.

But hey, what about the other 300,000 Mirians’ opinions?

Not sure is a good move or bad move… jangan2 tambah teruk… :frowning:

Maybe the trams would be empty? Because around these parts, I see on average 2 tourist-looking foreigners walking around town per MONTH. And they’re not even bothering with taking pictures as tourists usually do.

It is hard to differentiate between tourist and foreigners who work here.

http://www.theborneopost.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/000038161.jpg

I got this picture of tram in Kuching from Borneo Post.

Is this the same tram Miri is going to use?

Looks like MTC bus in the 70s, don’t you think… :roll: :roll: :roll:

Maybe a little flower here and a little flower there should spruce it up :smiley: :smiley:

I can’t see this working

Big Boss,

I’ve an idea! We can modify the body with your club to make a bit curvy…“falaly” sporty shape maybe…

better if they get hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles.

not that old piece of junk

They are just following Agenda 21…RE-USE , REDUCE, RE-CYLCE

cannot based on colour lah. olang-olang from brunei or other sarawak towns also tourish bah.
must get bus pass from hotel - valid for one day only.

i don’t see it working for foreign tourist esp westerners since they won’t be too interested in shopping malls - they probably have better and more lights, shopping malls, etc. closer to home. that’s why the more we increase concrete buildings, light polution, traffics, etc. the less foreign tourist will be attracted to come to miri. as it is, most westerners regard miri as a pass-through town / stop-over on their way to mulu or bario… and then the gov screw up the flights to mulu & bario highland… :roll:

but of course, we can still be a “resort city”/tourist destination for local tourists - brunei, sabah, wm and indon…

It’s easy. They wear shorts, caps, and carry a huge backpack with camera in hand. Sometimes they have an outdated map in hand and gets lost - or they ride bikes.

Even so - must be alarming to find foreigners who work here average 2 per month?

[quote=“stay1”]
Looks like MTC bus in the 70s, don’t you think… :roll: :roll: :roll:
:D[/quote]

More like 1930s

It’s easy. They wear shorts, caps, and carry a huge backpack with camera in hand. Sometimes they have an outdated map in hand and gets lost - or they ride bikes.

Even so - must be alarming to find foreigners who work here average 2 per month?[/quote]

I see thousands of foreigners…Indons, Bangalas, Indians, Chinese working girls, Brunei people, Thais working for TPK

the list goes on and on

Ian, please crawl of of your nuclear fallout bunker

I think you should have your eyes checked. You should crawl OUT of your bunker. The lack of light degrades your eyes.

People should read through the whole thread before making replies based only on what was written on the last post of the thread.

Didn’t expect this post to be OOT :lol:

ppl, ppl,… bck 2 d topic… :? :? :?

Not sure if the Tram system will work or not … but i don’t think we are ready, our yacht club not open yet.

The yacht club should be the place where they should fetch the tourist from and bring them around … or else it would be another free ride for the local … lol 8) 8) :idea:

I can see the reason why the had a tram service for tourists in Kuching-there’s actually lots to see in kuching. But what can you gawk at in Miri?! Rows and rows of shophouses, forget about the beach, that’s just a distant memory, thanks to the creators of “Miri, The Resort City”. Miri is just the jumping of point for tourists going elsewhere.Instead of taking over the tram service, why don’t these wise people think of a better way to improve the public transportation services?