Miri safety and security

Hi all,

i had been in Miri for 3 months and 1.5 months in Brunei for training, i came from Penang island to here for working, the initial expectation i had was Miri should be a beautiful place and heaven (frm advertisment and newspaper).
Apparently this is not the case, safety and security are the major threat here, robbery, snatch theives, break in…anything you can name it, slowly fear,worry,unsecure and anxious feeling arose in me, i start wondering how can this be reality (vast different compare to West Malaysia in term of population vs area of town). I start question myself whether my move to here is a disaster or what?
By the way, another weird scene is our neighbour - Brunei, jz half an hour drive from Miri is totally different from here, they dont need any grill around the house even no gate, friendly and gentle…i enjoy my peace moment there.
The only question is why so many people know that this is the truth but no action is taken, people always think about how to reinforce their home security after an incident, had they ever heard about “prevent is better than cure?”.
Anyway, besides this issue, Miri is a good place, people are nice (depend), peaceful, no traffic jam…
What can i do or say, stand the spice if you wn to taste the hot curry…

:cry:

Penang & Sarawak both Malaysia…
Brunei is not a state but country…

basically…theft, robbery, snatch thieves happens…anywhere in Malaysia…

from my judgement, among so many states here, i can say miri is so much better than other places even crimes is lesser than other places too. which country or which state didnt come with crime??? the only thing is whether that country crimes is low or high. to me miri is still consider low. just becareful of ur own. you only stay in miri for that few months, how do you no the crime in miri no body take action? people here care bout thier home security that is why they have all the house alarm, and window, door gril install and rare few dogs to take care thier own. i see nothing wrong here… i been staying in miri for over 23 years to me i LOVE miri compare to other states in Msia.

No matter which country or which state you go and stay, you always have to be careful. dun simply trust people and dun simply tell people so much especially you are new at that place and you dun knw what’s thier intention towards you. Good luck to you and welcome to MIRI CITY .

Brunei has their own agenda and differences … if you have two house neighbor that is dirty and messy … will that influence you to be dirty and messy as well just because you live next door to them?

But honestly i agree with your stand that security and safety issue in Miri is in need of overhaul. It came along with the mass development projects and the progress going into a city status. Not entirely pointing fingers at the imported general worker, there also been influx of people from outside of Miri that come with hope of opportunity. Equal opportunity in both the brighter side of the light to the darkest alley in Miri … crime rate goes up (sorry just an assumption, no figures available for me), people live in fear, security sector get a big pay rise … typical transformation issit? …

sometimes it all depend on luck (bad luck it is). eventhough you have equipped your properties with the so-called state-of-the-art of security & safety tools or even services, if it happen it will happen regardless where you are. honestly, miri is still a safe place to stay as compared to other states in malaysia.

I assume LadyBird is just saying that, equipping your house with security features is just to have a peace in mind, an assurance that you have done something to prevent. Making yourself feeling better but its not a guarantee bullet proof solution…

bingo rabbitx!

ps - for the record, i’ve been a victim of house-break-in twice but still i find miri is a safe place.

Lets discuss about measurement that we can take/do to minimize the occurrence of these incident to ourselves.

I would say, we need to more attentive while deciding which house to buy. Taking in account the area, we are going to place ourselves in. Price has always been driving factors, but people needs to look at it in different view. You may pay for more for a house you think that cost less to build, maybe the surrounding or the neighborhood is better and less likely / possibility of you being rob … of course goes the same with renting …

i quote

The only question is why so many people know that this is the truth but no action is taken, people always think about how to reinforce their home security after an incident, had they ever heard about "prevent is better than cure?”.

reinforcing their home security , isn’t that prevention is better than cure like you said?

i quote again:

"What can i do or say, stand the spice if you wn to taste the hot curry…"

then why the hell are you complaining?

redundant reply

cyclic redundancy reply

penang also a lot of cases such as roberry, rape, snatch thieve lar brader…of course u see on paper everything is like heaven…same goes to melaka, penang, sabah…of course la the GAMEN dont want to publish such thing like this, or else the tourism industry die lar…

psstt…its the editor…

meh…its happen every where…no worries. earth have unlimited supply of crimes.

Hi all, this is my personal opinion,i never paint or deliver no crime utopia but rather an realtivity between Penang and Miri, for example my neighbour was encounter 3 times broken in within 1 year (fyi, he equiped his house with alarm, motion sensor,grilled…), after made a report, he was told that this is work by some gang which crippled by police few years ago, but in Penang, whole area only encounter relatively 1-2 times yearly, and local authority act in fast pace to solve the issue by making sure no relapse. For your info, i came from Penang, and all sources is self experience not by local newspaper or whatever…
Another point which i am not so agree is prevention by reinforcement of house safety, we have to know and overcome the root cause like illegal immigrant, gangsters…
Lastly, i like Miri and Sarawak becuse the beauty of nature is here and life is so harmony and peaceful (no traffic jam)
Thanks and this is my personal opnion

Penang = State
Miri = Town

but i appreciate that…
meh…just plain unlucky…

Miri rocks. It’s just the immigrants that expecting so much from Miri and yet when the reality sinks in that finding a job or starting life in Miri wasn’t what it should be that make the city dirty with ‘filth’ (crimes). To be honest 10 years ago, I can still leave my house with the front gate and front door wide open to buy ciggarates and come back that my house will still be safe. Now, even while I am in the house I’ve to look the gate and doors!..

So don’t blame Mirian, blame the immigrants to the city, be it Malaysian or foriegners… !