‘Miri’s third overhead bridge coming up’

Miris third overhead bridge coming up

Posted on August 9, 2014, Saturday

MIRI: The overhead pedestrian bridge project connecting two bus stops at Kampung Lereng Bukit, in front of Grand Palace Hotel, is expected to be completed by early January next year.

Lee (second right) getting more details on the project through the drawing plan from Goh (right) and representatives from the overhead bridge project contractor.

Assistant Minister of Communications Datuk Lee Kim Shin said the project which cost RM1.4 million, has started with ground works last month.

This is the third pedestrian overhead bridge project in Miri under the implementation of state Public Works Department (JKR).

The first pedestrian bridge was implemented at Boulevard Commercial area and the second bridge located at Morsjaya Commercial area, he stated to media when making a visit to the project site at the Pelita Commercial area yesterday.

Lee said the overhead bridge project was implemented due to concerns over public safety, particular bus commuters.

It is because the people at nearby villages and bus commuters have to take risks crossing the highway.

The implementation of the overhead bridge is the governments concern in addressing public safety and to prevent untoward incidents involving pedestrians, Lee said.

In addition to that, the staircase connecting the bridge hall would be covered with roofing as well as the two existing overhead bridges.

This new project would be covered with a full rooftop to provide shade to pedestrians from the hot sun and rainy days.

We are going to upgrade the facilities at the two existing overhead bridges where the staircase is without rooftop.

At the same time, he urged the pedestrians to use the overhead bridge wisely for their own safety.

He was aware that there are people reluctant to use the overhead bridge and prefer crossing the roads as a shortcut to their destination.

Some opt to risk the danger and slip through the guard rail just to cross the main road.

You already know there is danger ahead so why take the risk by crossing the road in order to save your walking distance? People should learn how to place their safety as top priority as better awareness will prevent them from untoward incidents.

Also present during the site visit was the Miri Divisional JKR Miri Goh Soon Boon.

Source: http://www.theborneopost.com/2014/08/09/miris-third-overhead-bridge-coming-up/

The GK roundabout desperately need a flyover though.

right near my house!..i expect house prices in the area to increase by 10%

yipeeeee!!!

JKR should also install lighting as I’ve used the one at Mosjaya in the evening and it does not give you the safe feeling especially for unaccompanied ladies, for that matter even for single males when you see some guys hanging around ahead it doesn’t give you the comfortable feeling of passing them. The only source of light are the ones by the sodium street lamps where the orange light makes it even eerier.

If minimising cost is a factor, suggest JKR look into the feasibility of installing solar powered LED lamps for the overhead bridge walkways. I’ve seen such lamps being installed along the street at the Chinese temple/fish market and it does te job well.

Also for MCC, the upkeep of the overhead bridges are equally important, the one at Mosjaya probably has never been swept since it’s inception, there’s litter every where (don’t know about the other overhead bridges though).

near my house!!!

yippeeeeeeee…property price incease!!

I tot the first is mcc parking/office link to near ghee an florist

@haroldz, I thought so too. Maybe it is called something else now.

I thought flyover…

DuFfz said:
I thought flyover..

Me too... thought it's big project flyover bridge to ease bursting traffic. Skali read the details become pedestrian overhead bridge costing rm1.2million nia. why the big fuss? it's supposed to be there when you're planning to put bus stops opposite side of the main road! why politicians blame Miri people and then get the credit for himself with this lame publicity???

i hope when the pedestrian bridge is ready, the authorities will put high fencing on the road divider at least 2 meter height & 4x the length of the bridge to prevention energy & time calculative pedestrians from ignoring the bridge and dashing across the road .

gorshan said:

hope when the pedestrian bridge is ready, the authorities will put high fencing on the road divider at least 2 meter height & 4x the length of the bridge to prevention energy & time calculative pedestrians from ignoring the bridge and dashing across the road .

True, i almost hit a lady running across the road. Better put electric fence. So they don't cut a hole and pass through it....

RM1.4mill!? Are u kidding me MCC? What's the big fuse of building an overhead bridge for? Unless they are looking forward to lavish neon, huge LCD advertisement screen by the bridge, i think its way too much. Of course the main concern is the safety of pedestrians but, bridges are meant to be build when the bus stop is done.

gorshan said:

i hope when the pedestrian bridge is ready, the authorities will put high fencing on the road divider at least 2 meter height & 4x the length of the bridge to prevention energy & time calculative pedestrians from ignoring the bridge and dashing across the road .

true true.. just look at what is happening at the boulevard flyover.. people still take shortcuts by crossing from the flyover section.. i think they prefer to take the risk, rather than using the provided pedestrian bridge..

singapore has 480 pedestrian bridges... almost every bus stop have those crossing over both side of the main roads!! their 1 suburb township easily have 10 of them. i don't see politicians and land transport department there boasting around whenever one bridge is being built.

http://sgpedestrianbridges.blogspot.com/

good place to put a bridge.....that is a high risk area.

an underpass would be much more convenient and cheaper

whatman said:

why would you need a pedestrian flyover at GK roundabout? :\

Marshmallow Man said:
whatman said:

he mention about highway flyover.. just like the one we have at Taman Bulatan/Saberkas..

the one for pedestrian to walk is what we call "overhead bridge" or "pedestrian bridge" or "pedestrian crossover" or "jejantas" as in bahasa malaysia..

he confuse us all!!

ken said:
whatman said:

he mention about highway flyover.. just like the one we have at Taman Bulatan/Saberkas..

the one for pedestrian to walk is what we call "overhead bridge" or "pedestrian bridge" or "pedestrian crossover" or "jejantas" as in bahasa malaysia..

Looks like he is really confusing everyone here, look at the other posts after his...

highway flyover is off topic

:\

DuFfz said:
I thought flyover..
pandemoni said:
DuFfz said:
I thought flyover..

Me too... thought it's big project flyover bridge to ease bursting traffic. Skali read the details become pedestrian overhead bridge costing rm1.2million nia. why the big fuss? it's supposed to be there when you're planning to put bus stops opposite side of the main road! why politicians blame Miri people and then get the credit for himself with this lame publicity???

ken said:
whatman said:

Looks like he is really confusing everyone here, look at the other posts after his...

highway flyover is off topic

:\

DuFfz said:
I thought flyover..
pandemoni said:
DuFfz said:
I thought flyover..