Miri’s first flyover opens to public

Source: http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=25803

Sunday, October 7th, 2007

Miris first flyover opens to public
By Philip Kiew

Dr Chan heaps praises on contractor for delivery well before deadline

MIRI: The flyover at Pujut Corner, the first such infrastructure built here to help smoothen the traffic flow, was opened to the public yesterday.

This, together with the other flyover at Puchong, which would be completed before Chinese New Year in 2008, would put an end to the massive traffic jams along both stretches, especially during peak hours.

Additionally, the road from Pujut flyover would be linked to Pujut 5 and Pujut 7 roundabouts by three lanes, including a traffic light intersection to Piasau as part of the road upgrading exercise.

The RM400 million outer ring road linking Asean Bridge to Airport Road is expected to start soon. The road, to be undertaken on a five-year deferred payment concept will be undertaken by Global Upline Sdn Bhd.

Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr George Chan, Assistant Minister of Infrastructure Development and Communication Lee Kim Shin and Miri Resident Ose Murang in representing the State government performed a symbolic opening to public of the Pujut Flyover yesterday. Also present were Global Upline advisor Tan Sri Ting Pek Khiing and its managing director Datuk Mohd Danel Abong, Datuk Paduka Chai Yu Lan, and Pujut assemblyman Andy Chia Chu Fatt.

This is a very big and difficult job delivered ahead of schedule with minimal disruption to the public by Global Upline, said Dr Chan at a press conference later.

He pointed to the mammoth logistic task; relocation of utility lines and construction work while keeping traffic flowing with minimal disruption during the project implementation.

This is the kind of good delivery system the prime minister is advocating as the way forward to achieving Vision 2020.

Dr Chan lambasted the opposition for claiming credit to almost every major project implemented in the State, including the traffic interchange in Pujut and Puchong here.

The opposition must have thought that Mirians are stupid who do not know what is going on, he added.

Ting agreed, saying claims that the project was made possible because of them (opposition) was totally baseless as it was the government, which approved it for implementation following the hard work and tireless efforts of Dr Chan and other BN elected representatives over the years.

Pointing to the competition for funds from the government and Miri getting its share of major projects, Ting said the support and co-operation of the federal and State governments had resulted in many mammoth projects such as the flyovers to be built here.

He said more of such big projects would come Miris way in the next few years, thanks to the efforts of the BN elected representatives here.

You may not get them today, but you can be sure to get them tomorrow or the next day as the government has the peoples welfare at heart and knows what need to be done, he said.

Both Dr Chan and Lee (Kim Shin) thanked the federal government and Minister of Works Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu for approving and taking personal interest in the traffic system here.

Lee, representing Minister of Infrastructure Development and Communication Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Alfred Jabu, said much of the preparatory works were done prior to the project approval, which included raising the issue at the State Legislative Assembly when he was still a backbencher, study on the traffic volume at the gyratory and many others.

Dr Chan heaps praises on contractor for delivery well before deadline

When exactly is the dateline? First they said August, then they said September. It’s now October.

the other flyover at Puchong, which would be completed before Chinese New Year in 2008

Let’s mark this one down for reference when the time comes. CNY = Feb 7th or 8th, 2008.

I heard there was an accident on the very day the flyover open to the public. Apparently a car hit the railing. Can anyone else verify this?

I heard there was an accident on the very day the flyover open to the public. Apparently a car hit the railing. Can anyone else verify this?

I have no idea - I heard about it too but the version I heard was that it happened before the flyover. Either way it’s ironic.

that flyover has very bad fung shui

why do u say that? :roll:

built over old graveyard, cars flying over ghosts is not a good idea

Does anyone know that Tan Sri TPK had a serious brush with bad feng shui once when he was just TPK, and a small-time contractor? Details available.

Old graveyard?

ancient Dayak burial ground.
Done anyone know if there were any heads (old ones) buried there before it was ‘officially’ opened?

Didn’t know about the burial grounds. Thought it was an oil field only.

Anyone mind to take a photo of that place for me? :smiley: Curious how it look like.

Which flyover? Burial area? I also tought that it is one oil rig in the past?
Burial area i never heard of tat…
Any pics of the flyover? updated pics

yea…update pic plsss.

Puchong flyover is build over the old dayak burial site.
not the new tmn bulatan flyover.

there will be traffic jam at other places after tis.
u cant solve traffic jam but only to divert it…

[quote=“cat_muncher”]ancient Dayak burial ground.
Done anyone know if there were any heads (old ones) buried there before it was ‘officially’ opened?[/quote]

cat_muncher… do u know which flyover are we talking about? the first one is actually near the bulatan park which is now open and i don’t see any bad feng shui… but…

For the second one, i thought the graveyard is next to it and the flyover bridge is not flying over it. I am not sure as well because the last time when I was there… no foudation or piping being make yet…(I might be wrong)… :wink:

by the way…for your info, i think there will be 1 flyover only from shell area towards stjoe school…from stjoe school towards shell canada hill is not a fly over…u can see the road structure now…

there is an accident during the opening of the new fly over at pujut there…but not at the flyover itself…it’s a kancil turn turtle…i was there to see the accident…i mean after the accident la…hehe…it’s some where opposite the jkr depot…maybe the kancil go down too fast from the fly over…

Ooo ok… so its a one way flyover then on Puchong side… means from Kit Siang station down to St Joe Primary school… hmmm… make sense la… at least will help to reduce traffic jam as well…

the flyover is builded and been start use yesterday!! is a great new to all mirian and show to all mirian… Barisan National is not bullshitting oh, promise to do the flyover sure do it and it’s here now!!! DAP is useless only know talk ■■■■!!! LOLzzzzzzzzzzz

1. yes, the flyover i already try but the design of the bridge is very dangerous if u miss up and hit on the pagar!!! if ur lorry hit on the pagar!!! wat will happen??? i prefer the design to remove the steel structure now and build the concrete type pagar is better!!!

2. wat will happen if accident at flyover??? where is the design of third@spare lane during accident parking or passing lane??? who already try out the flyover brunei??? u try and c wat’s different of it???

3. from town area to flyover is very smooth nowaday so every car is getting fast to reach the GK roundabout and make the location become slowdown again!!!if the GK roundabout in future to make it straight sure another place to be happen the same problem again is Pujut 7 roundabout oh!!!

He pointed to the mammoth logistic task; relocation of utility lines and construction work while keeping traffic flowing with minimal disruption during the project implementation.

pls define minimal?..he had not been in miri long enuf to witness the growing traffic jam as the project in on going. besides, those VVIP don’t even live in this area. not to forget complain in MC about the big traffic jam at the roundabout two weeks ago…lie…all lie…just to make themselves look good.

The opposition must have thought that Mirians are stupid who do not know what is going on, he added.

I think they also think mirian are stupid…telling lies and say it out lound like it is the truth…

He said more of such big projects would come Miris way in the next few years, thanks to the efforts of the BN elected representatives here.

You may not get them today, but you can be sure to get them tomorrow or the next day as the government has the peoples welfare at heart and knows what need to be done, he said.

u think they will say this if Miri fall into the hand of the opposition, like kuching?..guess it will be a big NO!!

agree with alexysl. i bet the traffic at the gk roundabout will be very bad now…can see it already on saturday late afternoon…the traffic started just pass the petronas station…