Merdeka Celebration Date

When we shoul held our National/Merdeka Day?
Is it 31 August or 16 Sept?

If Merdeka Change to 16th Sept, then those born on th 31st Aug, wouldn’t feel so special anymore, hahaha… :mrgreen:

It should be 16 Sept because that was the date when Malaysia is formed. 31 Aug is the date when Malaya get independence and at that time Sarawak and Sabah are still under the British.

yes that’s true…still now i’m still wondering why G put 31 Aug as our merdeka day instead of 16 Spet when Sabah n Sarawak join to form Malaysia…

Malaysia = Malaya+Sabah+Sarawak…hmm i think everybody have to know about this…but :?

Both dates for holiday…da best yeah!

Yeah… baby… yeah… Groovy… :mrgreen:

huh? :shock: for all this while, we’re celebrating malaya’s independence? sigh no wonder im so moody on 31st Aug. & no wonder my “sejarah” always fails (asyik2 melaya je) grin haha well nevertheless, less than 2 weeks to go for our merdeka day! weee… 8)

just raise our pay! we are more than happy :smiley:

true true…somehow,i still prefer we are part of brunei…long long time ago… :mrgreen:

Must ■■■■■ for what’s right!

Look like the DPM Najib Razak is against the idea of 16th sept as Merdeka day… (Borneo Post front page)

Malaysia Day an important part of history, says Dompok

KOTA KINABALU: Malaysia Day or Sept 16 should be declared a national holiday, Minister in Prime Ministers Department Tan Sri Bernard Dompok said.

The day was an important part of the nations history as it marked the formation of Malaysia in 1963 and should be remembered by all citizens, he said yesterday.

He said this when commenting on the proposal by five Pakatan Rakyat-ruled states, which are considering declaring Sept 16 as a holiday in their respective states from next year.

I think the time has come for the Federal Government to reconsider the issue as it has been brought up previously but no decision was made, said Dompok, the Parti Upko president.

Upko, like many other Sabah political parties have been calling for due recognition to be given to Sept 16 as it marks the day when Malaya, Singapore, Sabah and Sarawak formed the federation of Malaysia. Singapore left the federation in 1965.

Sabah observes a public holiday on Sept 16 in conjunction with the Yang di-Pertua Negris birthday.

On Upko deputy president Datuk Wilfred Bumburings statement that Upko could not stand by Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) for its president Datuk Yong Teck Lees continued stand to push for a vote of no confidence against Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, Dompok said there was no need to sack SAPP from the coalition.

If you study the issue of no confidence against the Prime Minister carefully, it is not only an SAPP problem but of many other lea-ders.

Even some Umno leaders have made such statements of no confidence and that is why we feel there is no need to take any disciplinary action against SAPP, he added.

On concerns over Yongs admitted meeting with Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Dompok said Upko did not see it as warranting disciplinary action.

He said this was because Umno leaders had met Pas leaders on possibly forming the state government in Selangor and also possibly even in Perak after the March 8 general election.

source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi … sec=nation

even kelantan PAS also agree with the suggestion to change the national day from 31 Aug to 16 Sept…