MCC: No compromise in swoop against offenders

[size=150]MCC: No compromise in swoop against offenders[/size]

THE BORNEO POST: July 28, 2010, Wednesday

MIRI: The Miri City Council (MCC) will not compromise under its Ops Patuh 2, and will take on-the-spot legal action against offenders caught violating the various trading by-laws.

[attachment=0]0575.jpg[/attachment]
FIRM: Enforcement officers of MCC confiscate goods and trading equipment from errant traders and illegal hawkers during Ops Patuh 2.

Ops Patuh 2 began yesterday after the expiry of a one-month grace period under Ops Patuh 1 during which hundreds of written and verbal warnings were given to errant traders.

We carried out an awareness campaign under Ops Patuh 1, and reports from the public including from the media showed that many traders refused to cooperate. The matter had gone from bad to worst and the city has become a laughing stock, mayor, Lawrence Lai Yew Son told reporters after launching Ops Patuh 2 at MCC yesterday

We cant allow the traders or anyone else to disregard the laws if Miri wants to continue to become a vibrant and progressive resort city.

We have to strictly enforce the law; compound offenders on the spot and confiscate their goodies.

He said they would first focus on the two black areas Tamu Muhibbah and the Mosjaya Commercial Centre which are the most chaotic trading areas especially on Saturdays and Sundays.

In Mosjaya, the situation worsens after 4pm. Some traders even use the bus stop to trade until it cant serve its original purpose. There are many illegal traders and they occupy the parking spaces, which is not fair for the licensed traders who pay monthly rental fees of RM30 or RM360 per year, he said.

Some licensed ones also trade illegally outside the market area and even store their goodies in whatever spaces available. This has caused unnecessary congestion. Thus, Ops Patuh 2 will be carried out everyday in the two areas until the situation improves.

He said illegal hawkers and those trading without licences could be compounded or fined by the court between RM50 and RM20,000 depending on the type of offences.

Earlier on when launching the operation, Lawrence urged all the 76 enforcement officers to diligently carry out their duties without fear or favour.

They are assisted by the police during the operation.

We need to be consistent just like when we wage war against dengue fever. Ops Patuh 2 means giving compounds to offenders. No more oral or written warnings.

When carrying out your duties you have to be firm and fair, courageous and courteous. Do not to be rough and rude as you are representing the council. You are bound to meet with resistance, which where the police will help us, urged Lai.

Lai added that after the operations against illegal traders in Tamu Muhibbah and Mosjaya commercial centre, Ops Patuh2 will be extended to other areas.

Among other things, the enforcement officers will look out for illegal dumping of rubbish, trading along five-foot ways and behind shops, and illegal businesses operations.

Ops Patuh was launched on the 25th of last month. It was the first such operation carried out on integrated basis involving 76 enforcement officers from six sections of the council.

He said the main objectives were to create an environment that is conducive to trading and to keep illegal trading in check.

Presently, there are 1,300 licensed hawkers in the citys markets; 61 registered reflexology centres; and 600 registered restaurants.

The number of illegal ones is estimated at more than 200.

Deputy Mayor Mohd Chee Kadir, and the Standing Committee for Licensing and Enforcement chairman, Julaihi Mohamad were also present at the launch of Ops Patuh 2.

Give warning oredi… and people still continue doing it until they really get it…
Thumbs up to MCC…

Yesterday news…
I did pass by the fish market that morning and witnessed the vegetables and fruits scattered on the road side and those poor traders together with PKR Dr. Teo at the scene.

Sad to see those poor people who just try to earn their living by selling vege and fruits and being treated like sh!t by those MCC enforcers :frowning:

Wish I was there to watch the drama though

Ceh… Useless…

MCC is just doing their job , we can’t blame them.
Warning was already done…

It’s unfair for those legal sellers(who have to pay business taxes). Everyday I hear this sentence from my dad lol… so he was happy when MCC has done their job…

So what vote for Dr Teo and we can sell illegally on streets? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“HandsomeGuy”]Yesterday news…
I did pass by the fish market that morning and witnessed the vegetables and fruits scattered on the road side and those poor traders together with PKR Dr. Teo at the scene.

Sad to see those poor people who just try to earn their living by selling vege and fruits and being treated like sh!t by those MCC enforcers :([/quote]

I pity them too. However, they are trading illegally nearby stalls/markets where the traders who have license and paying rental are actively trading.

The council’s workers also have to clean up their mess when they are done. They can’t just assume that the trash that is left behind by these illegal trader are not their job, as its their job to keep the streets clean, regardless of who throws it.

Put yourself in the legal traders shoes, if you obtain license to trade, lets say fruits, and you pay rental for your premises every month, and these traders illegally trade fruits outside your shop, will you not be unhappy?

I’ve personally seen the attitude of some of the traders when the council enforcers come. Instead of leaving when the enforcers come, they shout and express vulgarity at them, sometimes even threatening to attack them. I really salute the council enforcers on their calmness and patience with dealing with such scenarios. However, we are all people with feelings. There’s only so much these enforcers can take, especially when they are carrying out their duties.

[quote=“Eugene91”]Ceh… Useless…

It’s unfair for those legal sellers(who have to pay business taxes). Everyday I hear this sentence from my dad lol… so he was happy when MCC has done their job…

So what vote for Dr Teo and we can sell illegally on streets? :P[/quote]

Mr. Law Enforcers, I never said that if you vote Dr. Teo, people can sell illegally on streets… I just said he was at the scene !!!

Don’t blame those traders blindly, maybe they try to apply for licenses but just couldn’t get it… most of them i think are not even properly educated.
Don’t look down on them… they are also human being who try to earn living providing food and education to their family. If they are useless, they wouldn’t be out there under the sun selling vege and come all the way from their kampung.
They are not begging for money and not even stealing or robbing people…

[quote=“HandsomeGuy”][quote=“Eugene91”]Ceh… Useless…

Mr. Law Enforcers, I never said that if you vote Dr. Teo, people can sell illegally on streets… I just said he was at the scene !!!

Don’t blame those traders blindly, maybe they try to apply for licenses but just couldn’t get it… most of them i think are not even properly educated.
Don’t look down on them… they are also human being who try to earn living providing food and education to their family. If they are useless, they wouldn’t be out there under the sun selling vege and come all the way from their kampung.
They are not begging for money and not even stealing or robbing people…[/quote]

I didnt say that u say that . :lol:
Sorry if u misunderstood it :slight_smile:

Well, they could sell somewhere else la in my opinion… Don’t go near those legal traders… they’ll feel offended.

[quote=“Faelane”][quote=“HandsomeGuy”]Yesterday news…

Sad to see those poor people who just try to earn their living by selling vege and fruits and being treated like sh!t by those MCC enforcers :([/quote]

I pity them too. However, they are trading illegally nearby stalls/markets where the traders who have license and paying rental are actively trading.

The council’s workers also have to clean up their mess when they are done. They can’t just assume that the trash that is left behind by these illegal trader are not their job, as its their job to keep the streets clean, regardless of who throws it.

Put yourself in the legal traders shoes, if you obtain license to trade, lets say fruits, and you pay rental for your premises every month, and these traders illegally trade fruits outside your shop, will you not be unhappy?

I’ve personally seen the attitude of some of the traders when the council enforcers come. Instead of leaving when the enforcers come, they shout and express vulgarity at them, sometimes even threatening to attack them. I really salute the council enforcers on their calmness and patience with dealing with such scenarios. However, we are all people with feelings. There’s only so much these enforcers can take, especially when they are carrying out their duties.[/quote]

++ :smiley:

[quote=“dennos2”][quote=“HandsomeGuy”][quote=“Eugene91”]Ceh… Useless…

Don’t blame those traders blindly, maybe they try to apply for licenses but just couldn’t get it… most of them i think are not even properly educated
They are not begging for money and not even stealing or robbing people…[/quote][/quote]

I agreed with u HandsomeGuy…

[quote=“dennos2”][quote=“HandsomeGuy”][quote=“Eugene91”]Ceh… Useless…

They are not begging for money and not even stealing or robbing people…[/quote]

Those traders pretty?[/quote]

they are hardworking!!!

Hey! Those are very, very poor people ah, not rich like the those who sit in the aircom rooms in comfort. Be a human and have some compassion for these unfortunate distressful poor. If you are so sore about them, you can always run over them with your cars and God, they will thank you for doing it! :evil:

In Mosjaya, the situation worsens after 4pm. Some traders even use the bus stop to trade until it cant serve its original purpose. There are many illegal traders and they occupy the parking spaces, which is not fair for the licensed traders who pay monthly rental fees of RM30 or RM360 per year, he said.

5pm till 7pm the worst. that’s why i don’t go there after 5pm. :cry:

Aren’t u being a little extreme?

The mark of a good leader is his ability to solve problems, to provide answers to resolve simple situations such as this. Oh no, they use force on people who could not hit back and got away with it. The law, what law? Please read Human Right Laws.

[quote=“moon”]

5pm till 7pm the worst. that’s why i don’t go there after 5pm. :cry:[/quote]

True true…

Don’t judged them just because they are being branded as “illegal traders”… they deserve the salute and respect rather than those dirty politicians, corrupted law enforcers, unethical businessman…

How bout those shops displaying their merchandise and putting table & chairs at the five-foot-way? Isn’t it obstructing too? Why don’t MCC go and confiscate their goods? Isn’t it illegal too…

I think the best they should do is just go and approach the traders lar…they should do some field work, send officer/representative to collect daily fee of the license from traders instead of giving them warning letter. Maybe they dunno how to read or if they kno, maybe they dunno what to do or where to go. Can not expect/just sit in the office waiting for them to go to their department to register themselves. Just because they know the law, doesnt mean everybody will know just like them…sory to say, i don expect those aunty from ulu-ulu to know that they must have license to do trading punya…

Our mayor is a lawyer mah, so, everything must follow the book lor…
A case of David VS Goliath…

handsomeguy, true also lar what u said. They must do something which others will remember. Something which must appear in the paper.