Many object to making English a ‘must pass’ SPM subject

Many object to making English a must pass SPM subject
By KAREN CHAPMAN

PETALING JAYA: Most of the 500 views received by the Education Ministry as at the end of office hours yesterday are against any move to make English compulsory in order to obtain the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) certificate.

A ministry official said those who contacted the ministry wanted the status quo to remain.

We started receiving telephone calls from 10am until 5.30pm yesterday, she said.

From today, she said people could telephone the ministrys hunting line at 03-7723-7070 with their views from 8am to 5.30pm.

There are 27 lines and we have enough people manning them, she said.

People can also e-mail their views to kpkpm@moe.gov.my or send a fax to 03-7710-8880.

On Monday, Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin had said he was surprised to learn that English was not a must pass subject for SPM and wanted public feedback on the matter.

The Education Minister said it was a revelation to him as he had always thought that it was a prerequisite since students had to learn English in school.

He said he was also shocked to learn that national schools no longer taught English grammar.

Muhyiddin said students were now merely learning communicative English.

This means they are picking up the language for communication purposes only, he said, adding that almost 70% of students who take English passed the subject.

A pass in English has never been compulsory for SPM. Since 2000, a pass in

Bahasa Malaysia was sufficient to get the SPM certificate. Previously, a credit was a must.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi … sec=nation

pls debate this!
so funny…no wonder sik pandei kelaka english cdak sinun…
kelak time meeting bukan main2 cakap

english is important as BM (more actually if u dun wan2 left behind)!
emphasized at young age (primary school)

mr. dpm himself is shocked that english is no longer taken seriously since year 2000. if he thinks english is important and feel that it should be taken seriously, with his kind of current ‘power’, why cant he get it implemented?

the statement of ‘many’ on objecting english as a must pass subject, i wonder who are they? are they professionals? are those so-called ‘many’ from all of the states? how fair it is to use the 500 views as an objection to english as a must pass subject in spm level?

ps-haroldz, sidak sinun memang tunggang langgang tutur urang putih malah sik suka tutur dengan urang yang pandei spiking. tapi yang pelik nya, sidak belah nun juak yang tauk kepentingan english tok sidak belah nun juak sik mok praktis nya. apa kes tok? kenak kita kat pulau borneo sikda masalah camtok kah?

Org lepeh biasa lah. Stupid never finish

to certain extend, i agree with your statement on this but then again this is subjective as not all of ‘org lepeh’ are like that.

the main concern here is whether english should be a must pass subject in spm level which i think it should. im surprised myself (including the dpm) upon the finding that english is no longer taken seriously since year 2000. that include delivering the english syllabus itself to our children.

without a good command of english, how do you expect to send your children studying abroad in the future? the government sent sponsored student studying abroad too, so how do they manage to go through the english language requirement?

Spread the email address, send your email in support of English. If we don’t speak up, our children will lose out. Already, the majority of emails sent there are NOT in favour. Please tip the scale in favour of must pass.

kpkpm@moe.gov.my

this is Malaysia, not England

have some national pride thanks

[quote=“john84”]this is Malaysia, not England

have some national pride thanks[/quote]

:roll: :roll:

Please elaborate national pride.

There is nothing to be proud of if we are going backwards…

English is a WORLD Language. English should be compulsory in Malaysia, how to communicate if we want expand our business ??? From what I know only the rich people kids can go overseas study.

[quote=“LadyBird”]

ps-haroldz, sidak sinun memang tunggang langgang tutur urang putih malah sik suka tutur dengan urang yang pandei spiking. tapi yang pelik nya, sidak belah nun juak yang tauk kepentingan english tok sidak belah nun juak sik mok praktis nya. apa kes tok? kenak kita kat pulau borneo sikda masalah camtok kah?[/quote]

Dun spiak France here. We dun understand.

i speak BM with pride. I am proudly Malaysian, though with all that is going on today…one wonders what pride one should have?

…and I was taught in English when BM was a must pass subject! I EARNED my MCE!..now it’s the other way around and English not a must pass some more.

Are we implying that our children have NO capacity to learn a language which the government proudly proclaims it’s rakyat speak in order to attract foreign investments?

English is a matter of survival, not pride. Eventually, I hope to see Chinese (though sadly, I can’t read or write it) being offered as another language subject in all SK/SMK soon too, seeing China’s emergence and impact today.

And for your information, the English, Americans, some African states make it mandatory to learn a foreign language in their schools! Are the English less proud to be English for learning French? Americans less so learning Spanish or other language?

…or are you claiming to be the frog under a coconut shell?

agak aneh ulasan anda kerana menjawab dalam english…
apakah itu national pride?
agak luas istilah ini

i bet our uncle, auntie and parents who managed to complete senior cambridge can speak better english :mrgreen:

[quote=“haroldz”]Many object to making English a must pass SPM subject
By KAREN CHAPMAN

PETALING JAYA: Most of the 500 views received by the Education Ministry as at the end of office hours yesterday are against any move to make English compulsory in order to obtain the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) certificate.

A ministry official said those who contacted the ministry wanted the status quo to remain.

We started receiving telephone calls from 10am until 5.30pm yesterday, she said.

From today, she said people could telephone the ministrys hunting line at 03-7723-7070 with their views from 8am to 5.30pm.

There are 27 lines and we have enough people manning them, she said.

People can also e-mail their views to kpkpm@moe.gov.my or send a fax to 03-7710-8880.

On Monday, Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin had said he was surprised to learn that English was not a must pass subject for SPM and wanted public feedback on the matter.

The Education Minister said it was a revelation to him as he had always thought that it was a prerequisite since students had to learn English in school.

He said he was also shocked to learn that national schools no longer taught English grammar.

Muhyiddin said students were now merely learning communicative English.

This means they are picking up the language for communication purposes only, he said, adding that almost 70% of students who take English passed the subject.

A pass in English has never been compulsory for SPM. Since 2000, a pass in

Bahasa Malaysia was sufficient to get the SPM certificate. Previously, a credit was a must.

pls debate this!
so funny…no wonder sik pandei kelaka english cdak sinun…
kelak time meeting bukan main2 cakap

english is important as BM (more actually if u dun wan2 left behind)!
emphasized at young age (primary school)[/quote]

Something quoted by DR M

Asked about the possibility that the policy on the teaching of Mathematics and Science in English would be scrapped Dr Mahathir said: I feel very sorry. In future, all Malays and Malaysians will be stupid.

and now they wanna oppose English as a must pass subject? oh well.

[quote=“aeroplane”][quote=“LadyBird”]

ps-haroldz, sidak sinun memang tunggang langgang tutur urang putih malah sik suka tutur dengan urang yang pandei spiking. tapi yang pelik nya, sidak belah nun juak yang tauk kepentingan english tok sidak belah nun juak sik mok praktis nya. apa kes tok? kenak kita kat pulau borneo sikda masalah camtok kah?[/quote]

Dun spiak France here. We dun understand.[/quote]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thats Bahasa Pasar.

[quote=“pmartyr”]Spread the email address, send your email in support of English. If we don’t speak up, our children will lose out. Already, the majority of emails sent there are NOT in favour. Please tip the scale in favour of must pass.

kpkpm@moe.gov.my[/quote]

spent 10minit email them…
done!

[quote=“pmartyr”]Spread the email address, send your email in support of English. If we don’t speak up, our children will lose out. Already, the majority of emails sent there are NOT in favour. Please tip the scale in favour of must pass.

kpkpm@moe.gov.my[/quote]

I’ve just e-mailed them and hope my view counts towards supporting English subject as a “must pass” SPM Subject.
I just don;t want to see the future generations moving backwards due to poor command of English language. Besides that, the teaching of English in Maths and Science SHOULD be continued as it is a major step of creating a competitive and developed nation.

Just wondering why people objected this as I don;t think it is difficult to obtain a “pass” for English… not that they are asking for Grade A.
Anyway, I think the Education Dept will lower the marking standard if most students not doing well for the paper, thereby, increasing the chances of passing the paper.

Getting a PASS is hard?? I wonder what’s happening with people now? PASS also say so hard… In SPM Pass is 8E while Credit is 6C… dont tell me getting 8E is hard also?..

I also just send email to kpkpm. moe.gov.my

this is only a small step for a developing 3rd world country like malaysia

English ftw! when i was in college kan, the scholar students were like all, struggling to pass the IELTS exam for a pass mark. then i thought to myself, shouldn’t they be aiming for a higher mark, since as scholars they would be going to Canada after the pre-U course. >.<