Man arrested for allegedly injuring a youth

MIRI: A man arrested on suspicion of injuring a youth was ordered a magistrate’s court here to be remanded for four days.

Magistrate Mohd Syafique Mohd Hilmie order the suspect, 37, from Sungai Asap, Belaga be remanded until May 23, at the Miri Central Police lock-up under Section 117 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

Earlier, assistant investigating officer Sergeant Selamat Gerisak, when submitting a remand application said a supermarket manager in Tudan lodged a police report at the Miri Central Police Station on May16.

The complainant, 39, claimed that at 5.46pm on May 16, he was told by a security guard that an unknown man was creating chaos in the area. The man had injured another man who was then sent to Miri Hospital for treatment.

Acting on information received around 10am on May 18, police arrested a man for his alleged involvement in the case.

In his application, Selamat requested that the suspect be remanded for four days to enable police to conduct an investigation under Section 324 of the Penal Code.

In the same court, Syafique also ordered a four-day remand for another man arrested on suspicion of injuring another man.

He issued the order after hearing remand application from investigating officer Inspector Nashriq Noring for the suspect, 43, from Pujut 7D here, who was arrested around 12.30am on May 19 at Kwangtung Road.

The arrest was made following a police report lodged by a man, 41, from Melaka at the central police station here on May 18.

The complainant alleged that around 10pm on May 17, while playing an electronic game at a house in Kampung Wireless here, he was suddenly approached by an unknown man.

The man asked him (complainant) whether he recognised him but the complainant answered in the negative. He then introduced himself as the husband of a woman who was playing the same game with the complainant.

The man then demanded for the complainant’s identification card and then dragged him to a car nearby, where he was assaulted injuring him in the process.

The suspect subsequently drove with the victim to an area near a budget hotel in the city centre, where he continued to assault him. He also took the man’s belongings including bank card and forced him to reveal the PIN number before asking him to get out of the car.

Nashriq said a four-day remand under Section 117 of the Criminal Procedure Code was needed for police to conduct a thorough investigation, to which the court agreed.

In an unrelated case in the same court, Syafique ordered four unemployed men to be remanded for four days on suspicion of stealing a water tank and water pump from the Community-based Rehabilitation Centre (PDK) here.

The four suspects aged between 21 and 28 from Kampung Pasir and Kampung Merikan, Lutong were ordered to be remanded at the Miri Central Police Station’s lock-up in accordance with Section 117 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

Assistant investigating officer Sergeant Johnny Mathew Jang, when submitting a remand application, said an assistant supervisor of the centre had lodged a police report on May 18, over the loss of a water tank and water pump.

The complainant said she discovered the two items missing, believed to be stolen at 8am when she reported for duty on the same day.

Acting on information received at 4.15pm of the same day, a police team headed by Inspector Fredly Juing arrested the four suspects – the first one at Kampung Tulang, Lutong and the second suspect at 4.30pm at Kampung Pasir Lutong. The third and fourth suspects were arrested at 3.45pm at Kampung Merikan.

Johnny said they needed a four-day remand until May 23 for the suspects to assist in their investigations under Section 379 of the Penal Code, which was granted.

The post Man arrested for allegedly injuring a youth appeared first on Borneo Post Online.