Malaysia's Anwar promises to dump pro-Malay policies

Agence France-Presse - 9/2/2008 8:29 AM GMT

Malaysia’s Anwar promises to dump pro-Malay policies

Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim said Tuesday he would dismantle controversial positive-discrimination policies for Muslim Malays if he seizes power in the multicultural country.

Anwar said he would replace the New Economic Policy (NEP) launched in the early 1970s with a system to boost all poor Malaysians, whether they are majority Malays or from the minority Chinese and Indian communities.

“We will do everything in our power and disposal to help and assist the poor and the marginalised, which means the vast majority of the Malays and the poor Chinese and the poor Indians, but we do it on a needs basis,” he said.

He also promised to abandon the Approved Permits (AP) scheme for importing cars, which it is claimed has corruptly enriched a small number of Malay entrepreneurs.

“Those talking about Malay dominance would realise that the AP is a classic case where the Malays and the Malay name has been abused, raped and plundered by the few,” he told a press conference.

Anwar, a former deputy premier and finance minister who was sacked and jailed a decade ago, has vowed to topple the government with the help of defectors within weeks.

He accused embattled Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi of spending his way out of trouble with a 2009 budget packed with perks and tax cuts, and said if he comes to power he would reduce the projected 2008 budget deficit of 4.8 percent of GDP.

“I suspect Abdullah feels that his days are numbered, so he spends as much as possible because he knows the next government has got to deal with the debts,” he said.

The NEP was launched two years after racial riots broke out in 1969, in an effort to narrow the wealth gap between the Chinese – who control the business sector – and Malays, who dominate government.

But critics say it has failed and that the policy’s beneficiaries have been Malay entrepreneurs who cash in on an array of perks including discounts on property purchases and specially allocated government projects.

Anwar’s opposition gained unprecedented ground against the ruling Barisan Nasional coalition in March general elections, after successfully garnering support from across Malaysia’s racial spectrum.

The 61-year-old opposition leader – himself a Malay – has also had to defend himself against allegations he has sold out the interests of the majority community in return for political gains.

not all malays are open minded la…
susah mok ubah cdak pun thinking

Yeah… am wondering too how he gonna face the malay community with his proposal.
He will be getting more popular with the non-malay…
Lets wait and see whether it will really happens…

change sky !

Anwar want to create havoc to this country. Not nice propaganda.

I don’t know if he wants to create havoc, but I believe he sees that a change is needed to help Malaysia become more competitive.

A country like Malaysia that has so much natural resources, an abundance of land and a large population should be able to achieve a lot more than the island nation of Singapore. The right policies just need to be in place. Naturally, his policies cannot be implemented overnight. Change is good, if it affords ALL citizens a fair chance at a better future. By segregating the people, there is no unity. Without unity, there is no progress.

Replacing a biased society with an equitable alternative is easier said than done. Understand that one race has been favored for almost 1/2 a century to the exclusion of all others, and dismantling the system is nothing but a pipe dream. DSAI will be castigated if he assumes power & starts meddling with that ‘institution’, one that’s been fixedly entrenched in the life-style of the favored for so long. It’s NEVER gonna happen, not even when this planet becomes square!

But give him credit for daring to even suggest it, and it’ll be fun to watch what may unfold in the weeks ahead.

[quote=“haroldz”]not all malays are open minded la…
susah mok ubah cdak pun thinking[/quote]

TRUEx2 since their are so protected n “pampered” within 51 years of merdeka… :evil:

Never is a really strong word.

It will by no means be an easy task, in fact, it will definitely be a great undertaking that will require support from all levels of gov’t and also the people. The way I see it is… this is something that HAS to be done in order for Malaysia to fully realize its potential. The kind of changes that are worth making are never easy and cannot be achieved overnight. I do wish to see Malaysia become a much bigger player in this region and for all its people to have the opportunity to lead better lives.

I think the younger generations of Malaysians are more open to ideas like this, but there will always be those who are against it. You only hope that those with power or influence do what’s best for the country and ALL of its people, rather than just those that are deemed “more worthy”.

would really love to see this become a reality…

I would to… though I’m sure it’ll take at least a decade of really hardwork to see it realized.

And this is when everyone needs to realize how powerful your vote in any political election is. For the future that you want, you need to speak up and vote. If you don’t vote, you can talk all day long and nothing will change.

there are those that say nothing can be done. there are those who believe change is possible. there are those who are willing to pay for change. and there are those who want to make change happens. there lies the difference between those who lead and those who just ramble along…

It was never a pro Malay policy. Pro cronies maybe la.

Just be careful with this Anwar. We never know what is his intention.

do you know what’s dolah’s intention?

do you know what’s lim kit siang’s intention?

do you know my intention?

do we know your intention?

do you mean we have to be extra care with anwar? could you explain why?

do you mean we have to be extra care with anwar? could you explain why?[/quote]

My statement “We never know what is his intention”.Faham bahasa tak? What do you think of me? God, Ahli nujum, can see through the future or supernatural guy. Come lah
They all have intention. Politic bah

there is always a motive with every single person’s action. why question and make a big problem?

anwar does have a history of rumours spread around. which we all cannot really clarify.
what the newpaper writes may not have all the truths…
what ppl tell each other may not have all the truth…

time will tell who does things with intention or benefiting themselves.

politics is another game of deception and power…

is it not?

Is there any hope for Malaysia?
Faced with the reality that BN will never change, many Malaysians desperate for change turn their lonely eyes to Anwar Ibrahim.
Pakatan Raykat has promised to treat all races fairly, to plug wastage, fight corruption, reform the judiciary and make Malaysia more competitive.
But some have questioned whether we can trust Anwar and his loose coalition of disparate parties…
The question is not whether we can trust Anwar and Pakatan Rakyat but whether we can afford not to.
Can we afford another ten years of BN’s misrule?

i got this from my e-mail today.

do you mean we have to be extra care with anwar? could you explain why?[/quote]
My statement “We never know what is his intention”.Faham bahasa tak? What do you think of me? God, Ahli nujum, can see through the future or supernatural guy. Come lah
They all have intention. Politic bah[/quote]

exactly. so, what’s the purpose of you making that statement? what insight are you bringing to the discussion by making that statement?
the same statement can apply to:
Just be careful with this abdolah badawi. We never know what is his intention.
Just be careful with this lim kit siang. We never know what is his intention.
Just be careful with this stupidhead. We never know what is his intention.
Just be careful with this 360lealer. We never know what is his intention.
somua boleh pakai, so sumua tidak pakai…

Oh sorry, I beg your pardon. Did I make you angry?