Malaysian Forces have landed in East Timor Yesterday

You guys following up with the fighting in East Timor. From the news last night, it really does sound serious with Timorese soldiers & policemen shooting at each other.

The country is factured along racial lines. I do hope it all settles down soon.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/atr … 88524.html

i pity indonesian especially those in constant warfare… hope they get along fine soon!

U won’t pity the indonesian la if u know them( Not for me ). This people will never get enuf of everything they have. The country needs to work triple hard to gain back what they have before. U have to know the people and then u will know how they deal with their business.

My company just gave 15% increment on their salary on the beginning of the year and now they started to ask for another 3%. Waulau… wat kind of thinking do they have? :? :?

This ppl are like Nigerian ( if anyone of you had ever work there), one day they might be nice to you and the next few days, when things is not getting right, they might turnaround and go after u la. difficult la… ( this is what I experience ).

Sometimes it’s hard when you have to choose between defending what you believe in.
I am not sure what happened in Timor Leste but I know that they are not having a good time right now.
As a human, we should be more humane and perhaps a prayer will reduce their burden.
I am not preaching but then, this is the only thing that we can do.
Even if we send out army troops or what ever, if they still choose to rebel… there’s no point.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/5/26/nation/14357851&sec=nation

Friday May 26, 2006

KL sends 25-man team to Timor Leste

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia has sent a 25-member team to the violence-wracked Timor Leste to gauge the situation there before providing further security assistance.

Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said the reconnaissance team, which flew on a C130 aircraft, would assess the level of unrest there before providing feedback.
[…]

Yes, they have landed. But I guess they will just stand at the side-lines and “gauge” the situation - for the moment.

I have Indonesian friends and have been to their country, and my perception towards their ‘entrepreneurship’ to survive there is astounding. The lack of security and facilities there is plainly the fault of their government which has forced its people to find other ways to sustain a living. Similarly this will happen to all of us here if the police is not doing their job properly, no pension funds, corruption all over, etc. We will be forced to do the unimaginable. And if given a job with pay, we will be asking for more pay because that’s how we’ve been moulded. Just my 2 cents.

Say, have you guys ever seen how they make money from the 3+1 car pool system their goverment setup to curb the crazy traffic there during peak hours in Jakarta city? Lots of ‘entrepreneurs’ would be standing outside by the bus stations, offices, etc. waiting for cars passing by. If the car has less than 3 people inside, they will wave for you to stop and pick them up as decoy dummies just for a quick buck. That’s just one of the many strange things I’ve seen when I was there (including the added security booths they setup at all the big office/hotel building entrance to check on in-coming cars for bombs, nukes, etc.). :smiley:

in Jakarta during peak hours, I have seen the people ( not policemen ) controlling traffic on the road. They will stand in the middle of any junction trying to stop cars going on straight lanes and let those who wants to come out from the junction to get an oppurtunity to squeeze out onto the main road. Then those driver will gave them some tips. that is what i see in Jkt when I am there.

I m not sure abt the 3+1 Car Pool system la. becoz I doubt the people will allow anyone to jump onto their car even they’re only half full. Do u want to let ppl stop u and u get paid from a short ride even the gov set up this system? Not for me…

:shock: :shock:

Oh yea, that as well. But the process would only begin when it’s your turn at the junction to waving money at an ‘entrepreneur’ who just happen to be standing there. He will first register the transaction, then later open up a path for you to come out. This goes the same with trying to find a parking, trying to reverse out of a parking lot, and all the unimaginable things you could do just for a quick buck. :smiley:

Somehow that system works for car owners there. It’s either they beat the 3+1 system by going off work early, or stay late until 7pm or something. It’s just amazing certain simple system implementation works there. Don’t have enough heads in the car, the corrupted traffic police would be working hard for “kopi-O” in broad daylight. Just my opinion. :smiley:

Hey Jack, Australian news have been saying that 220 of Malaysian commandos and parachute company have landed? Not sure why the star says 25?

Also, you guys know that East Timor is not Indonesia?

East Timor has oil and gas in the Timor sea which should be tapped so that the country can get some industries going so the country can advance.

Not sure why the contradicting news over there. But here’s today’s news which I’ve read from The Star:

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/5/28/nation/14372641&sec=nation

Sunday May 28, 2006

Peace Malaysia ready to help

PETALING JAYA: Peace Malaysia is willing to send a peacekeeping force to violence-hit Timor Leste if the need arises, said its co-ordinator Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir.

Mukhriz said they had received requests to send peacekeepers to Timor Leste but there was no official request from the local government there as yet.

Negotiations are the best way to solve a conflict as violence will never solve anything. We hope to be directly involved in efforts to bring peace there but the situation now is tense, so we have to wait and see, he told newsmen after welcoming Indonesian Jeffrey JJ Polnaja who is on a Ride for Peace mission around the world.

A quarrel or a disagreement, Mukhriz said, was sometimes made worse when those not involved joined in, especially if they had vested interest.

Sometimes, a third party is needed to solve conflict between two sides. It can be solved if the two sides sit down together and discuss the matter rationally, he said, adding that Malaysia, with its excellent track record of peace, could provide valuable input and assistance to Timor Leste in solving the conflict.
[…]

So it’s either Malaysia have sent lots of our elite troops there (leaving our country exposed to potential threats), or the editors from both country needs to re-check on their source. :smiley:

Nice info guys… :smiley:

oops… wrong post, please see below:

All is not good in Timor. The Timorese are still killing each other, the loyal army elements to the PM went to the hospital wanting to kill wounded policemen there causing australian troops to rush a guard force to the hospital for security yesterday.

So we have a really confusing situation there on the ground, in summary these are the major warring parties in what I can gather over the last few days:

1. 800 Troops loyal to the PM who let all this get out of hand in the first place. Officially the army is now under command of the President, but the PM’s still calling the shots.

These people happen to belong to some racial group. Some of these soldiers have a genocide case to answer for later. The President’s ill, some say back ache, others say a tumour. His Australian wife confirms he is not well & he’s holed up in his mountain retreat guared by Malaysian private bodyguards.

2. 600 Troops loyal to the trouble maker Major Reinado dude who started all this in the first place because of a pay dispute. This Major was given military training by Australia but is actually attached to the Timorese navy (so he can’t be a ‘Major’ - which is an army title?).

We know he’s taken out the main guns from Timor’s 2 patrol boats (that were given by Australia) and mounted them on trucks using them as mobile gun platforms - which can be a serious threat to Aussie armour and helicopters. Now this merry band is holed up in the mountains, coming down occassionally to attack government facilities. This group of soldiers were all sacked by the PM initially, because they had wanted a pay rise(?!!?) This band is called the Rebels & happens to belong to another racial group.

3. Policeman: loyal to the Interior Minister whos supposed to have told the PM hes joining the Rebels. The Timorese policemen also used to work for Indonesia when Timor was apart of corrupt Indonesia, so no one’s sorry for them. A group fought a 3 hour gun battle defending themselves against PM soldiers who attacked Dili’s main police station after the interior Minister’s announcement. All killed - last 9 of them surendered but where machine gunned by PM troops while walking out of the station with their hands up, 2 UN officials who mediated their surrender badly wounded. UN not impressed. Australia invaded a few hours later.

4. Left over policemen: Not sure who they belong to now. Some are with the rebels but loyal elements remains with the PM. They’re fighting each other and everyone else & there are gangs out hunting policemen.

5. Gangs I - Ok the PM troops gave out some guns to street gangs of the same ethinic group in the same way the PM always does things, it seemed like a good idea to him at the time. These gangs have started a gang war among themselves burning houses and killing each other, raiding shops and warehouses, because they can.

6. Gangs II - ad-hoc groups formed to protect themselves and their turf against Gangs I now killing others in revenge attacks & turning to raiding shops and warehouses to feed their families.

7. 1800 Australians in Operations Astute - initially to provide a show of force to provide calm so that PM & rebels can negotiate a settlement. Told by the big brass in Australia they cannot take sides or shoot first, seen as paper tiger within 2 days.

8. 25 or 220 Malaysian Commandos - just kpc at the moment. Najib says Aussies are running the show so ask them if you have any questions.

9. 50 US Marines: Sent to protect the US embassy. Not involved yet.

10. Portuguese soldiers & policemen - comming… later

[quote=“Peter Choy”]
1. 800 Troops loyal to the PM
2. 600 Troops loyal to the trouble maker Major Reinado
3. Policeman:
4. Left over policemen:
5. Gangs I
6. Gangs II
7. 1800 Australians in Operations Astute
8. 25 or 220 Malaysian Commandos
9. 50 US Marines:
10. Portuguese soldiers & policemen - comming… later[/quote]

What a mess. So I assume that there are no civilians now?

the news on civilians isn’t good either - they doing their best to survive. theres a growing group camping in front of the Australian embassy because that’s the safest part of town at the moment.

Here’s what NST Malaysia is reporting today:

Source: http://www.nst.com.my/Monday/Frontpage/20060529081331/Article/index_html

[…]
Ismet said the request to station troops at the border was made at a meeting Malaysian military officers attended at the presidential palace.

He said the location was far away and the Malaysian Government would have to agree to send more troops to reinforce the present force of over 200 army paratroopers and commandos.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said the request was being considered.
[…]

:roll:

[quote=“Smallee”]U won’t pity the indonesian la if u know them( Not for me ). This people will never get enuf of everything they have. The country needs to work triple hard to gain back what they have before. U have to know the people and then u will know how they deal with their business.

My company just gave 15% increment on their salary on the beginning of the year and now they started to ask for another 3%. Waulau… wat kind of thinking do they have? :? :?

This ppl are like Nigerian ( if anyone of you had ever work there), one day they might be nice to you and the next few days, when things is not getting right, they might turnaround and go after u la. difficult la… ( this is what I experience ).[/quote]

thanks for the racist statement there MR “moderator”

i presume you got this info from classified government statistics?

my indonesian colleague said those timor r low educated ppl
so easily to manipulate n provoke

the reason y autralia wanna jaga there bcos the country is rich in oil

[quote=“virus_infected”][quote=“Smallee”]U won’t pity the indonesian la if u know them( Not for me ). This people will never get enuf of everything they have. The country needs to work triple hard to gain back what they have before. U have to know the people and then u will know how they deal with their business.

This ppl are like Nigerian ( if anyone of you had ever work there), one day they might be nice to you and the next few days, when things is not getting right, they might turnaround and go after u la. difficult la… ( this is what I experience ).[/quote]

thanks for the racist statement there MR “moderator”

i presume you got this info from classified government statistics?[/quote]

wow…its been what?3 years already?and you’re bringing this up for what? :roll:

to highlight racist and discriminatory statements against our Indonesian brothers.

I have some high level friends in the Indonesian government, they will like to hear about this