Malaysian court rejects woman's bid to leave Islam

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A Malaysian court on Wednesday rejected a Muslim woman’s appeal to convert back to Christianity, the latest case to test the limits of religious freedom in the country.

The Court of Appeal threw out Noorashikin Lim Abdullah’s bid to renounce Islam on technical grounds _ that she used her original Chinese name in her suit, her lawyer Edmond Bon said.

The court said the appellant was not legally recognized because her Chinese name _ Lim Yoke Khoon _ no longer existed following her conversion to Islam in 1994, Bon told The Associated Press.

A Chinese judge on the three-man panel dissented, he said.

“The court rejected the appeal on technical grounds, not on merit. We believe they are afraid to hear the case” because of the sensitivity of the issue, Bon said.

Lim, 35, is likely to appeal to the country’s top civil court, he added.

A rising number of disputes about religious conversions have sparked anxiety among minorities _ Buddhists, Christians and Hindus _ because courts almost always rule against people seeking to leave Islam, which is Malaysia’s official religion.

Lim married a Muslim man in 1994, converted to Islam and obtained a new identity card with her Muslim name. But she divorced three years later and wants to convert back to Christianity, Bon said.

In 2003, she applied to change her name and religion on her identity card but the National Registration Department told her to she must get permission from the Islamic Shariah Court to renounce Islam, Bon said.

Lim turned to the high court seeking a declaration that she was no longer a Muslim but the court ruled in 2006 that it had no jurisdiction to hear the case, Bon said.

Malaysia has a dual court system with civil courts for non-Muslims and Shariah courts for Muslims.

Ethnic Chinese and Indians, who account for more than 30 percent of Malaysia’s 27 million people, have complained that court decisions in religious disputes favor Muslims _ who account for more than 60 percent and are mainly ethnic Malay.

source: http://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/ap/20080 … 5ae_1.html

[quote=“antujelu”]
A Chinese judge on the three-man panel dissented, he said.
“The court rejected the appeal on technical grounds, not on merit. We believe they are afraid to hear the case” because of the sensitivity of the issue, Bon said.[/quote]

we need more civil court judges with balls like this

everyone else who put their religion before the laws they serve do not qualify to be civil court judges

i believed la it up to individual to convert to any religion he/she want .But she must get punishment as she/he can be consider disrespect other religion.In this case she was christian, then convert to islam and now wanna convert to christian.It show she didnt respect the two religion by simply changing her heart.I agree the courts should approved her request for islam good.why hold to someone who hate you.But as I said, she must be punished for sin playing fool with two religion.Maybe la denda 10k ka, community servis(like boy george and naomi campbell).It also should be a warning for anybody wanna convert towards other religion that she/he must believed and hold tight either islam christian,buddist ,hindu etc as their new religion before doing convert.Knowledges most important.

I agree. with you. Don’t play-play with religion. Once you convert into any religion, you must hold your religion until you are death. Don’t simple change here and there. Peace!!! :mrgreen:

aik?!
i tot 1 lady ,managed to denounce islam in penang court
y the judgment is different on d similar case

how can a man judge on behalf of god?

[quote=“360leader”]

I agree. with you. Don’t play-play with religion. Once you convert into any religion, you must hold your religion until you are death. Don’t simple change here and there. Peace!!! :mrgreen:[/quote]

not agreed wit u…
it is our birth rite to choose wotever religion we want.
there is a case where ppl charged n fined in court for denouncing islam but after they paid n served the sentence they still cannot denounce it.
they were send to “rehabilitation camp”

where is rehabilitation camp?

Some men tried to become god, or more than god.

Like Lucifer.

I used to tell people we have freedom of religion in our country. We can choose whichever God we believe, if and only if, Islam is not involved.

She loved the guy. The only way she could marry him was to become a Muslim. That’s what she did. Now that the marriage is over, can she leave? She is not a Muslim by birth, so there is no family pressure to stay. It’s all in the hand of the (religion) court now.

religion is not something like we can threat like material where when you like it, you take it and whenever you don’t need it just throw it away and get another one. when we decide to embrace this or that religion, we should embrace it until the last breath because its our life guide, hope, trust, and what we believe. Before any of us decide to embrace any religion out there, think deeply, because it will be part of our life part of our body.

I’m catholic who convert to Muslim when I was 19, 1 decade ago. It’s because I believe in what I choose and I’m not going to convert back to catholic (God forbid). It’s clearly in Quran say once I/you leave Islam and convert to another religion, I/you will automatically labeled as Murtad and I/you don’t have chance to smell the Heaven.

So, stick in what you believe and don’t threat your religion like you threat your clothes… because there is too much different between it

[quote=“wandyhee”]I’m catholic who convert to Muslim when I was 19, 1 decade ago. It’s because I believe in what I choose and I’m not going to convert back to catholic (God forbid). It’s clearly in Quran say once I/you leave Islam and convert to another religion, I/you will automatically labeled as Murtad and I/you don’t have chance to smell the Heaven.
So, stick in what you believe and don’t threat your religion like you threat your clothes… because there is too much different between it[/quote]

it’s your right to choose your religion. i can respect your decision to convert from one religion to another, at the ripe old age of 19, and to continue to believe that you have made an infallible decision at the age of 19 for the rest of your life. however it appears you are not prepared to show due respect to the religion of your father (assuming you are borned catholic) nor respect the choice others might make to leave the religion you have adopted now. peace indeed, but only peace to your liking?

[quote=“stupidhead”]
however it appears you are not prepared to show due respect to the religion of your father (assuming you are borned catholic) nor respect the choice others might make to leave the religion you have adopted now. peace indeed, but only peace to your liking?[/quote]

what do you mean i’m not prepare to show due respect to the religion of my father? maybe you can explain further on it

[quote=“wandyhee”][quote=“stupidhead”]
however it appears you are not prepared to show due respect to the religion of your father (assuming you are borned catholic) nor respect the choice others might make to leave the religion you have adopted now. peace indeed, but only peace to your liking?[/quote]
what do you mean i’m not prepare to show due respect to the religion of my father? maybe you can explain further on it[/quote]

if you respect it why did you leave it? and why would you wish god forbid you from ever going back to it?
it’s not possible to claim superiority of one religion without putting down the others, either explicitly or impleicitly, isn’t it?

For me, any converted before convert should get your knowledge firstly.Religion is precious thing.It should be more precious than your loved towards your wife,father,son or any human relationship. Thats why is Islam if you convert because of your boyfriend is muslim,it’s not enough syaraat.

[quote=“stupidhead”]
if you respect it why did you leave it? [/quote]
I leave it because of what I believe…

[quote=“stupidhead”]
and why would you wish god forbid you from ever going back to it? [/quote]
Now, If I going back to catholic, do I have respect on myself for jumping like frog?

[quote=“stupidhead”]
it’s not possible to claim superiority of one religion without putting down the others, either explicitly or impleicitly, isn’t it?[/quote]

tell me where did I putting down the other religion… when I said God forbid, it’s for my own. you really thick me up when you said I don’t respect my father religion… do you think I left them all for once? I don’t visit them anymore? I don’t celebrate/gathering together with them in any occasion? seem like you judge me very fast without knowing my personality.

Now, If my grand parents convert to catholic from pagan few decades ago, does it make them don’t have respect to their previous religion?

all in all, I got feeling that you intend to do personal attack, do you?

one more thing Mr. stupidhead, It took me 5 years thinking & reading before I make conversion. Not because I want to married Muslim girl, someone who willing to convert to another religion just for shake of marriage, is just plain stupid decision and don’t have faith about their religion

“Malaysia” claims to be what its not.
A DEMOCRATIC COUNTRY WHERE CITIZENS ARE FREE TO CHOOSE THEIR WAY OF LIFE.

malaysia is restricted democratic country.

[quote=“butterave”]“Malaysia” claims to be what its not.
A DEMOCRATIC COUNTRY WHERE CITIZENS ARE FREE TO CHOOSE THEIR WAY OF LIFE.[/quote]

I agree with you, but what is it to do with this thread?