Malaysia may go for nuke energy

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/29/nation/15269252&sec=nation

Tuesday August 29, 2006

By ROSLINA MOHAMAD

KUANTAN: Malaysia may explore the use of nuclear technology for power if the oil price shoots up to US$100 (RM370) a barrel.

Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Seri Dr Jamaluddin Jarjis said the country need not venture into nuclear technology at present to generate power.

However, the world is changing. Who would have thought oil could hit US$70 (RM259) a barrel?, he told reporters at the 4th Informal Asean Ministerial Meeting on Science and Technology here yesterday.

There is even the possibility the price could shoot up to US$100 a barrel. When that happens, Tenaga Nasional Bhd will have no choice but to increase its tariff or go bankrupt.

It would be a matter of national interest and economic survival for the countrys power utility company at that time, he said when asked about Japan being invited to share its experiences in managing nuclear energy.

He said Malaysia wanted to know how Japan, where two major cities Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed by atomic bombs during World War II, could convince its people to go along with the use of nuclear technology to generate power and how they build the plants.

Dr Jamaluddin said it would be an issue of economic survival if oil price continued to rise.

Investors may run away because their products will become too expensive to be made in Malaysia if the cost to generate electricity increases, he said, adding that the Government wanted to be prepared for the situation in the future.

We will not be able to draw new investors as well.

He said some European countries were already moving towards using nuclear technology with the latest being Britain.

Closer to home, Vietnam also has plans to switch to nuclear technology to generate power, he noted.

We have more than 60 nuclear scientists and we want Japan to share with us their experience, he added.

Sigh, and what about the Bakun Hydroelectric Project? Still not enough.

More conspiracies about the Bakun Dam

meanwhile malaysia can buy clean burning lpg from australia to run your power stations, like Chinas doing @ 10 sen a litre… might have to first get over mahathirs dislike of australians.

I don’t know why - but reading the words ‘nuclear power’ and ‘in Malaysia’ together makes me think of Homer Simpson.

no no no no no…!!!this is already a big issue here in this part of Australia…depleted uranium is reused in warheads and stuff like that because it has almost 2 times the density of carbon or something like that…particles can be carried in the air when it explodes on impact and can alter human DNA…

watch “Blowin in the Wind”…

“If nuclear power is the answer, it must have been a pretty stupid question”

Remember when mahathir said Malaysia should make its own “weapons of mass protection”?

[quote=“Jack”]Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/29/nation/15269252&sec=nation

Tuesday August 29, 2006

By ROSLINA MOHAMAD

KUANTAN: Malaysia may explore the use of nuclear technology for power if the oil price shoots up to US$100 (RM370) a barrel.

Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Seri Dr Jamaluddin Jarjis said the country need not venture into nuclear technology at present to generate power.

However, the world is changing. Who would have thought oil could hit US$70 (RM259) a barrel?, he told reporters at the 4th Informal Asean Ministerial Meeting on Science and Technology here yesterday.

There is even the possibility the price could shoot up to US$100 a barrel. When that happens, Tenaga Nasional Bhd will have no choice but to increase its tariff or go bankrupt.

It would be a matter of national interest and economic survival for the countrys power utility company at that time, he said when asked about Japan being invited to share its experiences in managing nuclear energy.

He said Malaysia wanted to know how Japan, where two major cities Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed by atomic bombs during World War II, could convince its people to go along with the use of nuclear technology to generate power and how they build the plants.

Dr Jamaluddin said it would be an issue of economic survival if oil price continued to rise.

Investors may run away because their products will become too expensive to be made in Malaysia if the cost to generate electricity increases, he said, adding that the Government wanted to be prepared for the situation in the future.

We will not be able to draw new investors as well.

He said some European countries were already moving towards using nuclear technology with the latest being Britain.

Closer to home, Vietnam also has plans to switch to nuclear technology to generate power, he noted.

We have more than 60 nuclear scientists and we want Japan to share with us their experience, he added.[/quote]

if msia proceed with this, probaly will see UN come visit msia to shut down the plan…

similar case as iran.

…followed by whinings of “if they can have it why can’t we” by the politicians…

If Malaysia ever have this…‘u know who’ will come over and do some training and stealing…

well…i kind of disagree with some of the comment (sorry)…i think it is a good idea for malaysia to preparing to use nuclear energy as a source of energy in the future. Nuclear is cleaner compare to most energy. It too out less space too. Though a better cleaner solution might be the sun and wind but it needed large area to generate enough energy for any small town. Don’t forget malaysia is relatively small compare to many country. I do not wish to see the forest been cut so that we can put in solar panel or wind turbine.

Don’t just view nuclear as a weapon.it can also be a good thing. It might be more dangerous but how many nuclear plant accident really happen? I think only Chernobyl incident oni. Iran is a different case. They are allowed to have nuclear energy but becasue they do not want to follow the instruction of set by the nuclear energy governing body and the US consider Iran as a terrorism treat, so the whole thing becoem worst that wat it had intent to be.

Bakun could not produce enough energy for the whole malaysia, not to mention even to the whole sarawak or sabah. And we can depend oni one energy plant to produce energy to one country.

However, i really wonder how could malaysia be using nuclear when they are declare as a nuclear free zone years ago. i think we read it in our history class leh???

using nuclear produces something called depleted uranium…it is highly radioactive and has a half-life of 4.5 billion years…take that into consideration…

it’s true…but if it is handle properly, it will be safe and clean. nothing is perfect in this world. nuclear might not be the best choice but it is certaintly not the worst or one of the worst. There are hundreds of nuclear plants around the world. Japan is one of the country most dependent on this source of energy most of the country in this world is looking up on them. Like the report in the news, Japan is the only country in this world that had really experience worst of nuclear energy but the people can now continue their life together with something that almost destroy their existent…

but where will you store the radioactive material? in holes in the ground? right now the only use for it is to make weapons of mass destruction…plus, i dun want my children to be born disfigured…

Yeah now you reminded me. Malaysia has been declared nuclear free since who knows when. So I wonder how will some of the other nations react.

no sane ppl want to use the waste to make weapon. no one one to see our future generation been hurt in any way. we always wanted to built a better tomorrow. i believe everything exist for a good reason. is the person who misuse it that make it bad. Morphine is make to relieve pain, not to make ppl high and plane are make to transport ppl further and faster, not to kill thousand of innocent ppl. nuclear energy can help reduce pollution and help generate energy for the benefit or the people, not to turn into a weapon to kill or to end a war.

for me, nuclear energy is not a ‘must’ but more to an ‘if’. i do not want to see malaysia engage in nuclear energy in the very near future also. nuclear energy is an alternative ‘if’ the fuel price is growing to a level of unacceptance, ‘if’ there is not clear efficient and effective alternative energy resources available and ‘if’ malaysia is desperate to have more energy for the benefit of the people and countr.

Queblur, I agree with you when you said no sane ppl want to use the waste to make weapon.
But, don’t forget the fact that we have so many insane ppl out there. These ppl are the one that we should be aware of.

[quote=“QueBlur”]
it’s true…but if it is handle properly, it will be safe and clean. [/quote]

But will it? I mean, look at how certain things are handled? So what more of nuclear radioactive waste?

http://www.miriresortcity.com/files/clocktowerblank.jpg

:smiley:
easy lar, wasn’t there a world largest big cave somewhere in sarawak? no problem, just stack it in there. Iit’ll only make the bats glow green & might be a bigger tourist attraction as well.
:stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:
easy lar, wasn’t there a world largest big cave somewhere in sarawak? no problem, just stack it in there. Iit’ll only make the bats glow green & might be a bigger tourist attraction as well.
:P[/quote]

Nah too far. Easier solution is to just leave it in the children’s playground. :stuck_out_tongue: