M’sian education system to be studied, reviewed: Wee

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Government and Unesco will be re-studying the country’s education system beginning this year for four years, said Deputy Education Minister Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong.

He said the effort was an attempt to achieve education for all, especially to ensure no one fell through the cracks.

“In the study, we will collaborate with Unicef and trace the reasons for children not going to school,” he told Parliament on Monday.

He said the Education Ministry had published Education for All (EFA) - Mid Decade Assessment (2000-2005) and in the report, it was stated that the percentage of children entering pre-school was at an encouraging rate of 20% increase from 59.56% in 2005 to 70.4% in 2009.

The enrolment of students in primary school increased by 0.3% from 95.35% in 2005 to 95.65% in 2009 while those who finished Year Six increased from 98.09% in 2005 to 99% in 2009, he said in reply to Datuk Halimah Sadique (BN - Tenggara) who asked to state the nation’s current status in achieving Education for All by 2015 as targeted by Unesco.

She also asked if there were cooperation programmes between Malaysia and less developed nations in achieving education for all.

Wee said that the Government had allocated RM16.14mil for this year and an annual grant of RM3.23mil for following years.

He said the assistance would be implemented through the Malaysia-Unesco Cooperation Programme that helps improve South-South relations through capacity building.

source

no doubt the no. of enrolment is increasing but does it really reach those who are based in the interior areas?? now i wonder whether the no. provided are numbers from urban schools + rural schools or just urban schools?? i hope the deputy minister don’t just talk ‘kok’ in the parliment on this issue.

Changing of something mean $$ to their pocket. U know how many books they need to print if they change something??

Billion books,means billion $$ into theirpocket :evil: :evil:

They have studied our education system ever since I was a little lad… and changes after changes, and still they could not come with a solution that they could use to improve, but rather change the whole entire thing. It’s a waste of public funding. Yes, some of us will think that they ‘take’ some of that fund to fatten their greedy self, that could happen too… and it’s possible. And it could too that the product of their previous education system could not produce someone who is capable enough to make the whole education system a working product that could be use for years to come.

One thing that really hinders our education growth, in my humble opinion is they worry too much on certain race can’t cope with education system structured by, say Singapore, or Brunei, or Britian or even the US. Not only that, some of the educator are not properly trained to teach or make teaching interesting enough for students to understand, and enjoy studying.

Closest example. Brunei’s education system is that regardless of age, if the student does not pass or meet the given passing marks, then that particular student will stay on the same education level until he/she passes it. Now, for me, that is quality in the making. No point of letting the students go any higher a level if they can’t do good in their current, why should we? just because they arethe certain type of bumis of origin? That is killing them instead of helping…

The ministers are wondering why the product of Sekolah Bantuan and Mission schools do better than the majority of the government schools… it’s nothing to do with certain race are born smarter than the other, it’s mainly because the non-bumis are not given any/much privileged and everything has to be worked for in order to get it, unlike the certain types of bumis, it’s rather given in a silver platter for the takings…

There is nothing wrong in subsidizing our educations or students, it’s good. And there is nothing wrong in giving out goodies to students, but I very much prefer that we follow the Singaporeans. If the students does well in their studies, regardless of race/creed the government will provide almost everything necessary for the students to excel even further in their studies… this I think is a sound investment. It’s better than building useless twin tower… or useless halls or conference building that means nothing in the next 10 years or so…

Well, this is just my humble opinion…

[quote=“ghost”]aiya u know la…they said their race is weak, can’t compete with other race, must need help, some more they are first class race, so entitled all privileges, they have the right to be lazy like king.

what kind of stupid idiot labelled their own races as weak and incompetent[/quote]

A stupid idiot who would sell their own mother for power so that they can own more $$$$$$

The first and most important change they should do is to stop politicians from meddling in our education system. Let the educationists take charge.

continue teaching science and math in english in secondary sch pls.

I could agree more on the teaching maths and science in English. There’s millions of reference book out there in the world, and most of it is published in English. And trying to BM’ize the words from English is a really bad idea… bad idea… Mouse=Tetikus… I mean WTF!? Keyboard=Papan kekunci… WTF??! The translated words sounds really awful and not right at all…

They seriously need to beef up the education syllabus as its too outdated and standards are dropping every year. Furthermore, i think recently they are proposing to abolish public examination! WTF? They say its not necessary, i say its not fair to those kid who study hard. How do you even compare how gud you are by just looking at ur school grades. I can get A’s for all my subject in a lousy school yet ill get C’s and D’s in a Good school. How do i even know if i am gud or not? This is just another lame excuse to help the semenajung Malays. If they wanna sit back and rot, do it urself, dun bring others with you. I’ve got a new goal to achieve and a new standard to set. Stupid education system.

for me there too much change and this causing confusion to the student
first bm then english then bm again,now no more public exam?
yeah our govt sucks

n for the race issues,please use ur sensitivity lah.u also have brain.i tot u all pandai?
not all malays are so laid back dun study den can study at uitm,then kerja govt
some are trying really hard to compete with others…
so please dun generalise
n please,dun be to proud of ur successful race

[quote=“3zz”]for me there too much change and this causing confusion to the student
first bm then english then bm again,now no more public exam?
yeah our govt sucks

n for the race issues,please use ur sensitivity lah.u also have brain.i tot u all pandai?
not all malays are so laid back dun study den can study at uitm,then kerja govt
some are trying really hard to compete with others…
so please dun generalise
n please,dun be to proud of ur successful race[/quote]

I sincerely apologize for the racial issue. However i never said anything about my successful race or anything regarding about. Please reconsider ur word too. And its too easy to generalize dont you think? Anyway cheers. People make mistake.

those special race of elite student all get they seat at the 10 fully residential schools are Sekolah Tun Fatimah (Johor Bahru), Sekolah Dato Abdul Razak (Seremban), Malay College Kuala Kangsar, Sekolah Seri Puteri (Cyberjaya), SM Sultan Abdul Halim (Jitra), Kolej Tunku Kurshiah (Seremban), Kolej Islam Sultan Alam Shah (Klang), Sekolah Menengah Sains (SMS) Tuanku Syed Putra (Perlis), Sekolah Sultan Alam Shah (Putrajaya) and SMS Muzaffar Syah (Malacca).

reduce the size & number of text books pls…kesian budak2…

One of the fastest ways to improve a nation is through the unorthodox methods of implementing supremely high level of education. Sure there will be collateral damages (kids flunking), but education is regulated by the government so as all required infrastructure is expected to be provided, there is no excuse for rural kids to lag behind. All left is up to the individuals effort. All standards should be going up, not down. Although not too high (suicide statistics of teenagers in developed countries often holds a reliable pattern). If the country refuses to educate the youngsters properly, this country will regress. Slowly but surely.

As for people who can even somehow twist this sort of issue into a racial issue, their heads must be filled with ■■■■ to the brim. This is education we are talking about, it applies to everyone you dumb ■■■■. If some ■■■■■■■ from across the strait wants to pull down the general intelligence and competence of Sarawakian kids, as an indirect effect of the current ‘dumbing down’ of the system, we are supposed to say “To hell with it, and go ■■■■ yourselves. And thank you very much.” Not sit around pinning this on racism.

I see your point ghost. I used to think like that as well, until I realized the more I pin this on the racism, the less I focus on corruption and general incompetence. We did have a good government system in the past, but that was one of the relics left behind by the British. I am just a bit frustrated that there are still people out there who retain the same mindset as did 50 years ago when we were a fledgling nation. The anti-west sentiment has long since served its purpose. Retaining it today only holds back advancement, if not directly result in regression of the country. Racism always will exist in Malaysia, but we can’t afford to focus on it so much anymore, not with all the systems to keep this country alive crumbling down around us.

We gained our independence from the British, but so did all the other commonwealth countries. There is nothing so special about our case of gaining independence. It was going to happen sooner or later, based on global issues at the time. It really is past the time the population should feel prejudiced of the west. 50 years have been a long time for us to grow.

I believe that every education system in this world is not perfect. People tend to think
that their’s is the best. The goverment can copy from other country but the culture might be different.
The government need to ask themselve,what are their main objective to revise the education system.
Do you want more people in INformation technology, agriculture or engineering field?
Do you want your student to excel in sports and formal education at the same time but dont have sportsmanship ethics?
Do you want to have an integrity and virtuous society but neglect to teach moral/religious syllabus?
Everything need to be as balance as possible.
Too much taking paper exam and the student can become expert in question based knowledge
whilst lacking the practicallity of it. Too much practicallity and the student dont read
books as many as they should be. Maybe its not in the MAlaysian’s culture to read books.
But thats not an excused, Culture can be changed and nurtured slowly.

Thus,I think that we should let the really really so called educationist to gathered
around within themself and the government in a symposium to make their own final conclusive ,
constructive and consensus decision.
Its their profession and expertise anyway. And I believed they have read many books about education
system than the engineer,businessman, or doctor does.
So call back all the retired educationist that the nation have and start from there.
We celebrate the teacher’s day every year. Every state choose their own tokoh guru
every year.And at the national level they choose 2 or 3 person a year. These is the time
for them to contribute their expertise to the government again.
They are the one who excels in their profession and dont waste their valued experiences.
Dont ask the parents on what is best and what is not in revising the national education system.
Everyone got their own expertise in their field of work.
Sometimes what best to us is not fun or “syiok” to implement.
In islam teaching, leader’s must be followed as long as their order dont cause any sins.Thats our responsibility
and religious believed …period.
In the end either you like it or not we must abide by the rules and regulation stipulated by our leaders.

But I believe that the national education system are wrong during the 80’s or earlier when the student
in their 13 years of age are being asked to choose between SPU (seni perusahaan),
SRT (seni rumahtangga), perdagangan streams , etc, for themself. In reality the difference between spu/srt/commerce
is only one subject. For me , I choose spu and since that moment my mind seems to be brainwash and label myself
as a technical person.
I assumed that these also has effected my schoolmates in the spu/srt stream as most of them have the tendency of
becoming a doctor, architect and engineer whilst my commerce stream schoolmates become an
accountant, hr and doing administrative jobs.
How can you decides or know what you want to beconme during these tender age?
Although during my primary school’s time I’ve always being asked about my ambition and they recorded
it for thrice a year for 6 years consecutively without failed.
And my answer will always be between pilot, doctor,firefighter and soldier. In the end I become computer technician.

My point is that whatever changes the government are making,the love for reading is what makes you become more valuable to the society. Education system is meant to be revised sooner or later.Best still if you could learn more than one languages to speak and read.

As for the racism i have only these to say to you all there…
masuk kandang kambing mengembek,masuk kandang lembu menguak …or …when in rome do as the romans do.

[quote=“kenjo”]I believe that every education system in this world is not perfect. People tend to think
that their’s is the best. The goverment can copy from other country but the culture might be different.
The government need to ask themselve,what are their main objective to revise the education system.
Do you want more people in INformation technology, agriculture or engineering field?
Do you want your student to excel in sports and formal education at the same time but dont have sportsmanship ethics?
Do you want to have an integrity and virtuous society but neglect to teach moral/religious syllabus?
Everything need to be as balance as possible.
Too much taking paper exam and the student can become expert in question based knowledge
whilst lacking the practicallity of it. Too much practicallity and the student dont read
books as many as they should be. Maybe its not in the MAlaysian’s culture to read books.
But thats not an excused, Culture can be changed and nurtured slowly.

Thus,I think that we should let the really really so called educationist to gathered
around within themself and the government in a symposium to make their own final conclusive ,
constructive and consensus decision.
Its their profession and expertise anyway. And I believed they have read many books about education
system than the engineer,businessman, or doctor does.
So call back all the retired educationist that the nation have and start from there.
We celebrate the teacher’s day every year. Every state choose their own tokoh guru
every year.And at the national level they choose 2 or 3 person a year. These is the time
for them to contribute their expertise to the government again.
They are the one who excels in their profession and dont waste their valued experiences.
Dont ask the parents on what is best and what is not in revising the national education system.
Everyone got their own expertise in their field of work.
Sometimes what best to us is not fun or “syiok” to implement.
In islam teaching, leader’s must be followed as long as their order dont cause any sins.Thats our responsibility
and religious believed …period.
In the end either you like it or not we must abide by the rules and regulation stipulated by our leaders.

But I believe that the national education system are wrong during the 80’s or earlier when the student
in their 13 years of age are being asked to choose between SPU (seni perusahaan),
SRT (seni rumahtangga), perdagangan streams , etc, for themself. In reality the difference between spu/srt/commerce
is only one subject. For me , I choose spu and since that moment my mind seems to be brainwash and label myself
as a technical person.
I assumed that these also has effected my schoolmates in the spu/srt stream as most of them have the tendency of
becoming a doctor, architect and engineer whilst my commerce stream schoolmates become an
accountant, hr and doing administrative jobs.
How can you decides or know what you want to beconme during these tender age?
Although during my primary school’s time I’ve always being asked about my ambition and they recorded
it for thrice a year for 6 years consecutively without failed.
And my answer will always be between pilot, doctor,firefighter and soldier. In the end I become computer technician.

My point is that whatever changes the government are making,the love for reading is what makes you become more valuable to the society. Education system is meant to be revised sooner or later.Best still if you could learn more than one languages to speak and read.

As for the racism i have only these to say to you all there…
masuk kandang kambing mengembek,masuk kandang lembu menguak …or …when in rome do as the romans do.[/quote]

it’s about education system, never about religious or racist in this context of discussion. maybe you should review back the 18 points of s’wak agreement, point no.1 which states “While there was no objection to Islam being the national religion of Malaysia there should be no State religion in Borneo (Sarawak & Sabah), and the provisions relating to Islam in the present Constitution of Malaya should not apply to Borneo” and directly under this topic discussion, point no.15 states “The existing educational system of Borneo (Sarawak & Sabah) should be maintained and for this reason it should be under state control”

since you’ve stated “masuk kandang kambing mengembek,masuk kandang lembu menguak …or …when in rome do as the romans do”(which makes you sound racist as well) - don’t you think we should decide our own kind of education system without influenced from the federal, taking into account the agreement point no.15?

which unless, this doesn’t meet any point at all for you if you’re not a s’wkian which i think you’re not, mr. newbie. :o