London Olympic: Hard to challenge Beijing, but we got style

London Olympic organizers admit that it is not possible to match Beijing 2008’s spectacular opening ceremony. For one, China’s economic rise allowed it to dump an astronomical US$100 million just for the 4-hour opening show alone, the most expensive ever in history. Recession-hit U.K. could only dished out less than half of that.

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20120727&t=2&i=635143478&w=&fh=&fw=&ll=600&pl=390&r=2012-07-27T194519Z_01_LM2E87R1HQ028_RTRRPP_0_OLY-OPEN-CEREMONY-DAY0-ACT1
London Olympic opening showcase Britain’s transformation from an agricultural society into an industrial powerhouse… and then its decline

Beijings opening ceremony raised the bar so high for Olympic extravaganzas that London saw no point trying to rise above the Chinese display of power four years ago. There is no way London can top the eye-popping pyrotechnics, the cast of thousands, and the architectural gem of a stadium in Beijing 2008 Olympics. It can’t, said Danny Boyle, Artistic Director for the London Olympic Games Opening Ceremony. So it won’t even try.

Operating with a meager budget by comparison, Boyle opted for a more toned-down show - projecting both Britains rich industrial history and its eccentricities, relying on creativity and cunning over hard cash. Whereas Beijing had 2,008 pounding drummers, Londons ceremony started with 70 sheep, 12 horses, 10 chickens and nine geese in a quirky farmyard scene.

There has to be a modesty, Boyle said. You cant get grandiose with this job because you are following Beijing. While China invested $40 billion in the Olympics, Britain had less than $15 billion, with around $40 million set aside, in austere times, for the opening ceremony. Beijing is something that in a way was great to follow, but you cant attempt to get bigger than Beijing, not under the current economic environment, Boyle said.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Sports/ap_london_olympics_opening_mr_120727_wg.jpg
The industrialization that turned Britain into a world power

We thought, Great, good, well try and do something different. Well try to use our resources in a different way. We dont have as many resources but thats fine. Whereas 5,000 years of Chinese history were distilled into the Beijing ceremony under the direction of Zhang Yimou, Boyle chose to hone in on the last two centuries of Britains progress… and decline.

“The International Olympic Committee themselves recognize that [Beijing] is the last edition of a games which is going to look and feel like this,” says Sebastian Coe, head of the London Olympics organizing committee. The London games, Coe adds, won’t attempt to equal the “scale and stature” of the extravaganza in Beijing.

When London won the Olympics bid in 2005, Britain’s economy was flush. That’s not the case now. The U.K. is in recession, with the latest data revealed a shocking figure that the British economy suffered a 0.7% contraction in the second quarter, much larger than expected. The country struggle under a 8% unemployment rate, and national output has not yet recovered to the level before the onset of the global financial crisis 2008.

Musical performance reflecting British cultural heritage

Despite a perishing economy that has hurt the lives and pockets of millions in the U.K., the London Olympic did succeed in bringing back the British morale, once again, it is to be proud to be British. “We have hosted the Games three times and each time the world has faced turbulence and trouble,” Sebastian Coe said. “Each time we have come through.”

Londons opening ceremony charted how, from being the engine room of the world, a nation in decline after the industrial revolution has tried to reposition itself as technological innovators. We are learning our place in the world, Boyle said. A hundred years ago, Great Britain was everything. Obviously the industrial revolution has partly bred that. But there is a change, so I hope there is an innate modesty (in the ceremony) about it as well.

The British manufacturing dominance that catapulted it into a world superpower in much of 19th century, was lost to the United States in 1901. The U.S. in turn, lost such dominance to China in 2011.

http://www.radiotimes.com/rt-service/image/render/Can_Danny_Boyle_s_London_Olympics_opening_ceremony_beat_Beijing_s_.jpg?imageUrl=/uploads/images/original/15297.jpg&width=570&height=318&quality=85&mode=crop
Organizers say there is no way it can rival the excesses of Beijing 2008

Britain, which used to be the most powerful nation on earth, was being forced to come to terms with a reduced role in the world. Its not unspectacular and unambitious. Quite the reverse. But theres a sense of modesty about it. You have to learn your place in the world. Boyle added.

Marco Balich, who created the opening and closing ceremonies to the Turin Winter Olympics in 2006, said the mission for such events is to convey a simple message while not being superficial and still providing a spectacle. Beyond the money, every nation expresses his own soul, while producing the ceremony, Balich told The Associated Press. Beijing wanted to show what a rich, modern and contemporary empire they are, the world’s emerging superpower… while Britain simply want to express its beautiful heritage and cultural history.

They did in their own way - original, eccentric, different. You dont necessarily need to match anything. You need to look at yourselves and express what you think you are as a nation to the world.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UpGkYZAWosE/UBAekgHW3fI/AAAAAAAABb8/wnoHChEzh0U/s1600/GDP.png
The Olympic comes at a time the U.K. sinks into economic recession

The London opening ceremony featured women in smocks and bonnets shepherded sheep, geese and cows on landscaped grass in the “Isles of Wonder” vision dreamed up by Boyle as the ceremony got under way in a party atmosphere. It was following by jaw-dropping moments of drama and comic interludes, celebrating Britain’s musical and cultural heritage.

A comedic short film starring secret agent James Bond and Queen Elizabeth II was screened during the television coverage of the ceremony. It’s believed this is the first time Her Majesty has acted on film, the program noted. It wasn’t Beijing. Not as exotic, not as magical. And not as expensive, but the opening ceremony was quirky and fun and loud and British.

There were not the wow moments of Beijing, just many very cool ones among the 3.5 hours. There was more humor, with puns and pop culture among the pomp and circumstance. In the end, the flame lit by seven young people, igniting more than 200 copper petals - one for each country - that converged into a burning flower of Olympic best wishes and hopes. Sir Paul McCartney performed the song “Hey Jude” at the end of the opening ceremony.

http://bestmoviesevernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/queen-elizabeth-parachuting-with-james-bond.jpeg
Televised screen of Queen Elizabeth II parachuting

Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor … 222801.cms

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/bo … story.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics-- … --way.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/olympics/2 … BNf5aAdPkY

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics … 56546878/1

and what happened to all the stadiums for the beijing olympic? why everything about PRC is good? all arab news are bad…hahah…so funny la ur intention mevotex.as if china is the best in the world.bbooo

anyways still think the London olympics opening got substance and interesting to watch.unlike the one in beijing…switch the channel right away when i watch it 4 years ago

London and Beijing olympics opening cermony, each was class of its own. I liked the way how Danie Boyle considered reality and put up a spectacular show. The green hill, Mr.Bean and the final lightining of the Olympic flame from the seven young athletes to the 200 over petals, these are the few things which will remain in my mind. He really brought the past to the future.

Ofcourse there was flash of proud moment ( watching it from TV ) for the Bidayuhs and Sarawakians when Pandela was seen as the flag bearer for Malaysia. What a proud moment that would be for that young diver’s parents. :smiley:

mevotex is just sharing the news, even the link were shared to us all for reference.

what is so funny about sharing latest news happened to the world? you think he wrote the news by his own?

i don’t get you.

why don’t you reverse what mevotex has been doing all this while? post all the good news about arab and bad news about other places/people.

only know how to criticize, very typical.

Think Arab the best in the world? Please post great news from the Arab world. Make sure to include links ya?

did i said so? did i said arab the best in the world? how ignorant.Mevotex had long since posted all the bad things about Arabs or anything related to Islam.then post all the glory of china as if everyone were amazed with china.duh.so boring.Did he ever post about how ignorant people in PRC were to each other when something bad happened to others,car accident etc.hahah…post whatever u like dude,but why the arab bashing?

brani nganok bangsa org lain dlm internet ajak boleh la.

sekda org paksa u suka atau sik, or even paksa u baca post dari mevotex ya bro. mun u sik suka, then u ubah perception org dalam mc.net tok by opening your own topics about how good those Arabs are, with links. u sik boleh nyuroh org mok suka ka sik, atau nyuroh org post benda nok u nak/suka baca jak. u kinek tok kritik jak tapi sekda pun post topik nok relevan makey counter topik mevotex ya.

logik sik? :slight_smile:

zaman info ngan teknologi bro…u sik fully utilize memang rugi. it’s one of the most powerful weapon, can even topple a government, lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Do post the most brilliant news you can find from the Arab world, we won’t mind reading.

And hey, I also posted a lot of great things about the U.S., and most recently, Philippines, Indonesia and Myanmar - the 3 potential Southeast Asian economies who might be the next Asian economic tigers. Proper credit should be attributed based on one’s achievements. Some places on Earth, despite being richly endowed with petroleum resources, achieved nothing much, yet caused a huge chunk of problems around the world, it is a fact. Wherever I go travel, there is now stringent, uncomfortable security checks not seen 10 years ago, this is due to…

When nations made advancement, they get my favorable view, this is also the case for Indonesia, a Muslim state. Some countries couldn’t properly manage their economies, failed in science & technologies, but yet when problems arise, marveled at blaming others (Jews, Americans, British to mention some) I don’t think world respect could be build with that.

And trust me, Middle East has the most “interesting” news around the world, miles and miles ahead than the rest of the world. One thing funny is that, Americans are not angered by ludicrous news from Italy, instead, would laugh at it. Taiwan and Thailand don’t bother much about news from Nepal, the holy land for Buddhism. But when it is Middle East, people 10,000km far away would get angry, wonder why…

Just to let you know I dislike the authoritarian communist authorities as much as many do, but car accidents, train derailment, city people quarreling on streets, business malpractices, these are common occurrences throughout the world even in your neighborhood, maybe I miss out some, why not you post?

sekda org paksa u suka atau sik, or even paksa u baca post dari mevotex ya bro. mun u sik suka, then u ubah perception org dalam mc.net tok by opening your own topics about how good those Arabs are, with links. u sik boleh nyuroh org mok suka ka sik, atau nyuroh org post benda nok u nak/suka baca jak. u kinek tok kritik jak tapi sekda pun post topik nok relevan makey counter topik mevotex ya.

logik sik? :)[/quote]

.saja nguras posting nya.macam sekda benda lain nak disebut.suka kau dgr org mdh mc.net tempt racist mala nganok bangsa ajak.sik malu ka kau? pake apa aku nak counter topic nya i am not backing the arabs. I just feel unconvenient bila manusia ya post benda gia and when u read the comments mudah nak put Islam indirectly in the bad light.Ngenang bah kita tok dah lamak idup sama dalam negeri,mok aman malas nak kelai segal bangsa,segal posting gia.aku rasa mc.net tok bertuah sebab sik banyak org melayu masuk dlm tok,and aku pun sik mauk forum tok kelak k kelai bangsa.bertuah kitak org lepeh sik tauk and org melayu sarawak nak banyak silent reader sik amik hati dgn apa dipost anak ya.whatever his intention is for focus much on arabs ya god knows,tapi just to let u and others know that ada org baca apa dicerita ktk org,dianok ktk org tentang agama dlm mana2 dlm tok.just that ppl let it go…ngenang bah dah kawan berpuluh,beratus tahun diam tmpt sama. :wink:

Please post some brilliant news from Arab saudi, do not forget to share few links from the site where you quoted from.

i bet the Arab has great news that can bring great benefits to the world too.

Please post some news here, i don’t mind reading and be amazed by Great Arabs.

i doubt that… but well i am ready to read some great news from middle east. don’t make me wait too long…

by the way, bro mevotex are you in USA now? wow~ how’s summer there? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“k-ray”][quote=“Athrun_zala_faith”]

i bet the Arab has great news that can bring great benefits to the world too.

[/quote]

i doubt that… but well i am ready to read some great news from middle east. don’t make me wait too long…

by the way, bro mevotex are you in USA now? wow~ how’s summer there? :P[/quote]

there MIGHT be something we didn’t noticed all these while, waiting for someone to send in the good news from Arab world.

i’ve never read about middle east having anything good other than trying to kill each other … a small bickering can be something bad …

sometimes … this picture comes to mind when middle east is being portrayed …

http://cdn2.geekarmy.com/photos/kwat62f-assworld.jpg

■■■■ Happens

ur ass is it? holy cow.try ask ur mom to poke at it.we dont do asses here.

The opening of the olympic is AWESOME.

lol, i realy like the part on Mr.Bean. On the side note, Bro Mevo, it’s kinda amazing how they allowed the Queen to parachute the entry. Won’t they worried someone might just snipe her down?

All in all, i’m shock when the queen parachute in lol. Epic.

[quote=“gameaddict”]The opening of the olympic is AWESOME.

lol, i realy like the part on Mr.Bean. On the side note, Bro Mevo, it’s kinda amazing how they allowed the Queen to parachute the entry. Won’t they worried someone might just snipe her down?

All in all, i’m shock when the queen parachute in lol. Epic.[/quote]

:mrgreen:

i like London Olympic opening…i learn alot of the culture…and not to mention was quite surprise to see Queen parachuting. epic.

they won’t have to worried someone sniping her down. they have m-16 and mr.bond and mr.english. hahahaha.