Leaders all condemn killing of Bill Kayong

KUCHING: The killing of Bill anak Kayong aged 43 has sent a shockwave among the politicians in Sarawak who condemned such senseless act.

Bill who stood in the last State election in Bekenu against Rosey Yunus and two Independents was the political secretary to Miri MP Dr. Michael Teoh.

According to Head CID SAC Dev Kumar Sree Shunmugam, Bill was shotyesterday morning at about 8.30am by an unknown person using a shotgun while he was waiting in his Toyota Hilux at a traffic light intersection in Lutong, Miri.

Dev Kumar said he believed that the victim was travelling from his home in Senadin, Miri and was heading to his office in Permyjaya, Miri and classified the case as murder.

Deputy Chief Minister, Tan Sri Datuk Amar Dr. James Jemut Masing said whatever it was, no one has the right to take laws into their own hands.

“My deepest condolence to Bill Kayong’s family on his demise. It’s my hope that the perpetrator of this heinous crime will be brought to justice soon,” he said.

Sarawak United Peoples’ Party (SUPP) president Datuk Prof. Dr. Sim Kui Hian said he was appalled with the murder of Bill Kayong, Branch Secretary of People’s Justice Party (PKR) Miri and called upon the police to arrest the shooter and track down the sources of firearms as soon as possible.

“We Sarawakians are a peace-loving society who have co-existed and flourished in a multi-cultural community regardless of race, religion or political affiliation for decades. This incident runs contrary to our Sarawakian values of peace and harmony and is strongly condemned. We trust that the police will carry out the investigations expediently and urge the public not to speculate upon this tragic incident out of respect of the victim’s family and friends,” he said.

He extended his heartfelt condolences to the family members of the late Bill Kayong.

Secretary General of SUPP, Dato’ Sebastain who knows Bill personally said he was shocked at the shooting.

Ting who went to the scene and comforted Bill’s wife said it was sad that such brutal killing would take away the father of two young children in an instance. He said this was senseless and condemned such violent act. He extended his deepest condolence and prayers for the family.

State Assemblyman for Batu Kitang, Lo Khere Chiang who is also the Padawan Municipal Council (MPP) Chairman said it was a sad day for all of us.

“I am sad that it happened in Sarawak when many a time we Sarawakians have been praised for being peaceful loving people. Whatever the problem may be, nobody should take the law into their own hands. I hope those responsible will be brought to justice. My heartfelt sympathy and condolences go to the families of the deceased and I pray that God will keep them strong during this difficult times.”

Chairman of Parti Keadilan Rakyat Sarawak (PKR) Baru Bian said words could not express the sorrow and outrage we felt that Bill was so brutally and coldly shot and killed.

“Bill was a vocal activist for the natives of Sarawak, fearless in his passion about native land rights. He was a young man zealously pursuing justice for the people and was very outspoken against any kind of discrimination or unfairness in our society. He was an active member of PKR and was the secretary of our Miri branch,” he said.

He offered his deepest sympathy and prayed that the family would find the strength and fortitude to bear this unimaginable grief.

Chairman of Democratic Action Party (DAP) Chong Chieng Chieng said such cold blooded murder was something that no one wanted or expected in a peaceful land like Sarawak.

Sending his condolence to the family of Bill, he wondered if Sarawak was as safe as what everyone perceived it to be. Chong said Bill was a strong advocate for NCR land.

LikeTweet

Source: http://miri.my/2016/06/22/leaders-all-condemn-killing-of-bill-kayong/