Lack of Malaysians travelling locally worries tourism minist

Source:http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/16/nation/15150423&sec=nation

[size=150]Lack of Malaysians travelling locally worries tourism minister[/size]

Wednesday August 16, 2006

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysians are not travelling a lot domestically and this gives the Tourism Minister much worry.

Our people are unaware that there are lots of places to visit in our country, said Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.

We want our people to spend their vacations in Malaysia as we are worried that there may be more Malaysians visiting other countries than foreign tourists coming to Malaysia.

He said the ministry would re-examine its plans to encourage Malaysians to travel domestically.

He also said Malaysia had many attractive tourist destinations for people with different needs.

For example, Gua Tempurung is for the adventurous traveller. If you want a change of weather, you can go to the highlands such as Bukit Tinggi, Genting Highlands, the Cameron Highlands and Frasers Hill, he told reporters at the briefing on the Langkawi International Boat Exhibition (Libex) at the Putra World Trade Centre here yesterday.

Tengku Adnan also urged travel operators to prioritise security and safety to prevent any untoward incident.

He expressed sadness over the drowning of the youngest son of a Perak Syariah Court judge at Ayer Ganda Lake when the fishing boat taking the judges family for a picnic capsized on Saturday.

The boat was overloaded and there were no life jackets on board. We must educate boat operators to be more responsible, he said.

Meanwhile, SailAsia Sdn Bhd executive director Alastair Campbell said Libex and the Darwin-Bali-Langkawi Yacht Rally would be held in Langkawi from Nov 24 to 27.

We expect more than 50 marine industry exhibitors to take part, he said.

i dun have any problem travelling locally. there is a lot of places i wawnt to visit. i want to revisit Penanf, go Melaka and Johor…not to forget, Genting Highland. There are two problem that prevent me to do so, i think most ppl will face the same problem…

1. My paid does not allowed me to travel so frequently. The ratio of expenses and salary does not allowed me to travel. Even if you spend very little during this vacation, it will still probably need about 4 to 6 months for you to save enough money to go travel around malaysia. Think about the air ticket, accomodation, travelling fee and some, shopping. Malaysian earn to little yet we pay so much for something.

2. the number of holiday an employee could take which the law allowed is too little. we dun have much time travelling now. especially for ppl leaving in Sarawak and Sabah. we need to fly to thos interesting places in West Malaysia. Interesting places in Sarawak and Sabah is very hard to reach and took some time and $$$$

Owing the bank 9 years for a crappy car and 20 years for the house, have to feed kids and wife, then pay for the ever increasing fuel price hikes, with an average of only Rm3000 monthly income per household, how to travel?

[quote=“QueBlur”]

1. My paid does not allowed me to travel so frequently. The ratio of expenses and salary does not allowed me to travel. Even if you spend very little during this vacation, it will still probably need about 4 to 6 months for you to save enough money to go travel around malaysia. Think about the air ticket, accomodation, travelling fee and some, shopping. Malaysian earn to little yet we pay so much for something.[/quote]

101% Agreed with this… no good salary, where to go? Only those above the piramid can go here, go there, how he can be on top of that piramid? how many people sacrified for him and still sacrificing?

[quote=“QueBlur”]
2) the number of holiday an employee could take which the law allowed is too little. we dun have much time travelling now. especially for ppl leaving in Sarawak and Sabah. we need to fly to thos interesting places in West Malaysia. Interesting places in Sarawak and Sabah is very hard to reach and took some time and $$$$[/quote]

ha… too little is true for the private sectors (I only have 7 days pay leaves) but in fact malaysian’s has most holidays compare to other nations… those government servants ask lagi some more, you really dunno how many people absent during working days the government department. The D.O. (District Officers) mostly outstation, who will sign for the permit? Spend 5 minutes in MMC and you’ll get what I mean. Go count the number of tables and people in the office and the people in the canteen… gimme the ratio… I guarrantee never 1:1 and far to reach.

Considering the number of hours malaysian spend travelling to and from work, i think if they’re gonna do anymore travelling for holidays, it’ll have to be overseas.