Bomba senior officer Ahmad Nizam Sapiee (centre) listens as a JKR representative explains on the condition of areas affected by the landslide during a site visit yesterday.
MIRI: Four of the 10 families – forced from their homes at Kampung Lereng Bukit due to a landslide last week – have returned to their respective homes after receiving clearance to do so.
As of noon yesterday, the number of evacuees of last Saturday’s landslide at Kampung Lereng Bukit stood at 20 persons from six families, from the initial 31 from 10 families.
The six families remain housed at the Kampung Lereng Bukit multi-purpose hall pending clearance to return home.
Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) zone chief Law Poh Kiong told The Borneo Post that a team from the Slope Engineering Branch of the Public Works Department (JKR) was sent to the affected areas yesterday to conduct a study on overcoming the landslide issue at Canada Hill and its surrounding areas, including Kampung Lereng Bukit.
“The victims will only be allowed to return to their respective homes after the team does its study and declares the affected area safe.
“As of now, the residents are advised to rent at another place as most of them are also currently renting at Canada Hill and its surrounding areas,” he said.
Law also confirmed that there is no more flooding in Miri.