Just Venting

Any of you guys ever been to a job interview and come across a really stupid interviewer?

My friend came across one - and boy was I pissed when I heard her story.

It goes someting like this, fairly simple :-

• She went in for an interiview

• after asking several straightforward questions the interviewer asked why she quit her job

• The reason is because her current employer ismigrating to Australia

• She said “My boss is go…” before she could finish,

• stupid interviewer said “I ASKED why you QUIT. NOT about your boss!

WHAT A @#%#$%#@ DUMBASS interviewer. I asked my friend not to place to much hope on working for Mr. Numbnuts even if the job was offered.

Wondered how the company ever functioned with the Executive just saying and not listening. Maybe that’s why they’re hiring.

Although I thought the interviewer is rude, he does have a point, why does he want to know about her previous boss migrating to Aust?

Because that is why she is looking for the job in question. God, the guy asked the question right?

I forgot to mention that after boss leaves for Australia the company no longer exists? It should be pretty clear.

Boss = employer. Boss moving to oz = no more boss = how is it possible still be employed?

Oh and besides, she never finsihed her answer - “My boss is going to migrate to Australia and the company is shutting down” is her answer maybe?

Main point being Mr. Numbskull never let her finish!

[quote=“ian”]Because that is why she is looking for the job in question. God, the guy asked the question right?

I forgot to mention that after boss leaves for Australia the company no longer exists? It should be pretty clear.

Boss = employer. Boss moving to oz = no more boss = how is it possible still be employed?[/quote]

ah yah, then say the company is winding up because the owner is migrating to another country lar.

I think the interviewer got himself all sensitive because from his point of view, it seems her very good boss (obviously he’s excellent because he’s so good that Australia wants him) left, she didn’t like the new boss because he wasn’t good enough so what makes the interviewer good enough to become her boss. I think when he heard how she started, he’s already jumped to conclusion in a second that he doesn’t want your friend to work for him. :?

[quote=“ian”]Oh and besides, she never finsihed her answer - “My boss is going to migrate to Australia and the company is shutting down” is her answer maybe?

Main point being Mr. Numbskull never let her finish![/quote]

Then she should want until numbskull finished and continue saying what she wanted to say. but numbskull seems like a bully anyhow, so best she didn’t want to work for him.

[quote=“Peter Choy”]

ah yah, then say the company is winding up because the owner is migrating to another country lar.[/quote]

But isnt that what she was about to say? Only worded differently.

I think the interviewer got himself all ensitive because from his point of view, it seems her very good boss (obviously he’s excellent because he’s so good that Australia wants him) left, she didn’t like the new boss because he wasn’t good enough so what makes the interviewer good enough to become her boss. I think when he heard how she started, he’s already jumped to conclusion in a second that he doesn’t want your friend to work for him. :?

OK now you’re confusing me. But I think I get what you mean. The numbskull feels threatened and insecure by the mere mention of “because my boss”? But we all know typical that people of higher authority feel threatened by smarter people and will try to supress them with all their might.

Sides, she never finished saying he migrated.

[quote=“ian”][quote=“Peter Choy”]
I think the interviewer got himself all ensitive because from his point of view, it seems her very good boss (obviously he’s excellent because he’s so good that Australia wants him) left, she didn’t like the new boss because he wasn’t good enough so what makes the interviewer good enough to become her boss. I think when he heard how she started, he’s already jumped to conclusion in a second that he doesn’t want your friend to work for him. :?[/quote]

OK now you’re confusing me. But I think I get what you mean. The numbskull feels threatened and insecure by the mere mention of “because my boss”? But we all know typical that people of higher authority feel threatened by smarter people and will try to supress them with all their might.

Sides, she never finished saying he migrated.[/quote]

numbskull got himself all insecure because he’s obviously tried to put 2 and 2 together before having all the info. from how i read it, i’m thinking like him: “this girl had a good boss who went to aust, couldn’t get on with replacement because he’s obviously not as good (thinking she may have problem with the old fashion respectyoureldersauthority) so now she’s found herself out of work (yah lar, she said quit, but i’m sure she got fired) now she want me go give her a job?”

[quote=“Peter Choy”]
numbskull got himself all insecure because he’s obviously tried to put 2 and 2 together before having all the info. from how i read it, i’m thinking like him: “this girl had a good boss who went to aust, couldn’t get on with replacement because he’s obviously not as good (thinking she may have problem with the old fashion respectyoureldersauthority) so now she’s found herself out of work (yah lar, she said quit, but i’m sure she got fired) now she want me go give her a job?”[/quote]

Again, she never got to the migrating part. Just “My boss is goin…” all in all it means the same thing.

If you’re my friend, how would you structure the sentence when asked why you are leaving the job? (Remember that there is no known info about her previous emplyer prior to this.) Like any normal human, naturally the first reponse is the one most used sentence you’ve used previously.

There was alot of talk on her employer going to austrialia. "Boss going here, boss going there… blabh blah blha… the only natural response when asked this question will be “My boss is going to migrate to australia.”

Hi,

Ok, i hope this help. And i’m trying not to take side in either way.

Ur friend should answer it directly not the other way around.
Question: “Why did u quit your job?”
Answer: “I quit my job because the company are winding up.”
Then if the interviewer asked why?.. Answer: “My employee are migrating to Australia.”

And yes, the interviewer should let her finish her sentence.

But, that’s also some skill that the HR do that is to provoke the applicants
and to see how would the applicant react to a such provocations.

I suggest that ur friend be more prepared for future interview. Direct question only need direct answer. Simple as that. Hope this help.

Sincerely,

iqmedia

i think the interviewer had a bad day for a start and he is just wanting to get this session over as quick as possible. As an interviewer, he should be a good listener and showing a bit of professional skills with handling an interview. Ppl come in for interview do really look forward to work with his company and the outcome of this session is giving a bad impression on how he represent his company.

ian… pls tell ur lady fren… even she did not get this job… not to be upset la. :smiley:

She has other interviews and other opportunities. The interviewer / numbskull’s company lost a good job candidate.

I’m just peeved that they can cut you short. If it were me I would repeat my answer, and if I got cut off again I’ll shout it out in his face.He asked, and an answer is given, isn’t it?

Again, I would like to point out, with such a simple question, why ‘should’ there be an ‘appropriate’ way to answer it?