JPJ officers to go undercover to film errant motorists

KUALA LUMPUR: From today, three Road Transport Department (JPJ) squads in each state will go undercover in unmarked cars armed with video camcorders to film errant motorists in action. The videos will later be used as evidence against the traffic offenders who will be fined RM300 each. The JPJ undercover teams will supplement the police in Ops Sikap XII to reduce the number of road accidents and fatalities during the Chinese New Year festive period. The JPJ teams, who will be on patrol for the next two weeks, will be on the lookout for traffic offenders, especially those who jump queue or use emergency lanes to beat traffic jams. We want to send the message to the public that somebody is watching, said JPJ deputy director-general Solah Mat Hassan. He added that enforcement officers would be patrolling highways and major roads. There will be at least three teams in each state to film those who flout the law, he said after the launch of the Chinese New Year road safety campaign here yesterday.

Solah said those caught on camera committing an offence would be sent a notice under Section 114 of the Road Transport Act 1987. They would be required to turn up at state departments for an investigative interview and to view the footage. Should they fail to turn up after two weeks, they will be blacklisted and the compound amount will be doubled, he said. In other words, those who fail to turn up within the two weeks will have to pay RM300 for not obeying the notice to turn up for the ‘investigative interview’ and another RM300 for the actual offence committed. Solah advised the public to go to the department immediately if they were issued the notice. As a matter of precaution, Solah said that motorists would not be stopped by JPJ enforcement officers in plainclothes. He advised the public to ignore anyone in civvies claiming to be JPJ officers and lodge a complaint at the respective state departments. Our operation procedure prohibits our officers from stopping motorists for any reason to avoid causing traffic jams and preventing cases of bogus officers stopping the public. They are there to observe and film errant motorists. Malaysian Institute of Road Safety director-general Prof Dr Radin Umar Radin Sohadi said this move was just a component of a comprehensive enforcement system. JPJ’s focus will be on emergency lanes, junctions and traffic lights and I believe it will increase the public’s awareness that they have a high chance of being caught, he said. Prof Radin Umar added that it was now up to motorists to drive safely and be more considerate on the road, adding that this move was merely a warm up to the Automated Enforcement System.

Source

Have to be really careful from now onwards For me…

So I don’t geddit. How come the JPJ has cameras but the police don’t, like in the US? (So they could sell the scenes for police funding and we can watch the dramatic car chases)

Will they film errant cops on petrol driving reclklessly? I have personally seen few times here in Miri.