Indian Solution for Cleaning Polluted US Lakes

Indian Solution for Cleaning Polluted US Lakes

In yet another example of reverse technology transfer, a product developed by Nualgi Nano Biotech (NNB), a low profile biotech company here, is helping Americans to clean up polluted lakes. A three-acre Duck Pond in Croton-On-Hudson in New York state has been restored to normal health thanks to ‘Nualgi’ - an invention by NNB founder Thothathri Sampathkumar.

Prior to the application of Nualgi in Aug 2011, the Duck Pond “was in a highly impaired state with a variety of water quality issues” such as bad odour, poor clarity and infestation with duck weed and algae, said John Tucci, president of Lake Savers, a small company in Richland, Michigan.

Lake Savers, which has about 2,000 acres of lakes and ponds, including the Duck Pond, under its management, uses a combination of oxygenation systems, beneficial bacteria and enzyme formulations in its restoration projects. According to Tucci, this however did not work well in extremely impaired water bodies like the Duck Pond and so the company wanted to assess whether the addition of Nualgi to its programme could speed up recovery of this water body. The US company obtained 50 kg of Nualgi from Sampathkumar in August 2011 to try it out.

In an email to the Bangalore company earlier this month, Tucci has acknowledged that the water quality in the pond showed a “remarkable and sustained improvement” after a single dose of Nualgi application. Duckweed disappeared in one month after application and did not come back till now, and no algae blooms either, while “fish productivity and health has improved dramatically with the pond becoming a favourite destination for local fisherman,” he said.

Nualgi is a mix of micro nutrients in the form of nano particles including silica, iron and manganese, which triggers the rapid growth of a type of algae called diatoms, explained Mallimadugula Bhaskar, a collaborator of Sampathkumar. The oxygen released by diatoms through photosynthesis increases the dissolved oxygen level of water and thus keeps the pond clean and the diatoms converted into ‘zooplanktons’ provide food for the fish. One kilogram of Nualgi can treat four million litres of water, he said. Apart from India, Nualgi has been patented in the US, Britain, Germany and South Africa.

Encouraged by its successful experiment in Duck Pond, Lake Savers has obtained clearance from the US Environmental Protection Agency for using Nualgi on a large scale in the US. “We are now aggressively embarking on more intensive studies and applications of Nualgi in a variety of water bodies from 5 to 120 acres,” Tucci said. The Lake Savers which has so far purchased 350 kg of Nualgi, has expressed intent to buy another one tonne this year, Bhaskar said.

According to Bhaskar, Nualgi is an economical alternative to treat sewage and organic wastes in “eutrophic” lakes and ponds as no skilled labor or energy is required. It is inexpensive and can be mass produced, he said.

An eutrophic lake is characterized by excessive growth of algae resulting from contamination by nitrogen or phosphorus compounds such as by laundry detergents, untreated sewage, and fertilizer run-off from agricultural land. “One obvious solution is to reduce these inputs but this is unrealistic,” Bhaskar said, adding: “The other solution is to remove the nutrients from water. The Nualgi-diatom-zooplankton-fish food chain is the best way to achieve this. Thus all the polluted lakes and rivers can be restored to their original glory using Nualgi.”

According to Bhaskar, Nualgi is being used in many lakes in southern India for the past seven years and fishermen are buying the product to increase their catch in water bodies. “In Delhi only 30 per cent of the sewage of about four billion litres is treated,” Bhaskar said. “If Nualgi is used, this can become 100 percent in one year without any capital expenditure.”

It is likely that Nualgi will be effective in oceans too, Sampathkumar said, adding it can be used to prevent algae bloom, known as red tide, like the one a week ago that reportedly killed nearly one million fish in the Gulf of Mexico. Oceanographer David Karl of Hawaii University has taken a small sample of Nualgi and is testing it in ship-board experiments in the Pacific, Bhaskar said.

Nualgi’s developers hope to promote its use worldwide to revive fresh water eutrophic lakes and the over 500 “dead zones” in coastal regions - so-called because they are so deprived of oxygen that they can’t support any aquatic life.

http://www.biggerindia.com/life/15920-i … lakes.html

[size=85]comment: if this really works, thinks of the benefits to inland freshwater fish breeders. let hope MCC notices and tries it for starters a kg of this stuff at Bulatan Park pond.[/size]

interesting diatoms :slight_smile:
at first i read and thought why would they put algae into the water, as heavy growth of algae usually reduces oxygen in the water and therefore killing other life in the water… but ahhhh this diatoms is super special

i forgot to add that using this solution could go a long way to solve pollution of water used to produce palm oil by refineries which carelessly released the polluted and not fully retreated water back into our waterways. this is especially so true in Sabah and Sarawak considering the ever expanding large landmass under oil palm cultivation where even rainfall runoff are affected by the improperly treated water effluent from palm oil refineries.

well i guess pollution of such with oil should be prevented in the first place and so they will not need to have to treat it after :stuck_out_tongue:
water quality of waterbody decline in an urban developing area or developed area with very little surface flow or stormwater treatment devices. but with palm oil leaks into waterway (or even worse if "delibrately: released) is unacceptable… and they should be penalised or shut down :stuck_out_tongue: – that is if the EPA (or DOE?) take their role properly

“The Ganges was ranked among the five most polluted rivers of the world in 2007,[9]” - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganges#cit … eendiary-8

can they apply this on river? :slight_smile:

[quote=“vertigo”]“The Ganges was ranked among the five most polluted rivers of the world in 2007,[9]” - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganges#cit … eendiary-8

can they apply this on river? :)[/quote]

Right on !

vertigo, dopamineblitz. grow up will ya.

just because i posted the news doesn’t makes me an expert. i posted news i think makes interesting reading.

i do hope they use this solution ( if its not a scam ) on the Ganga river as a short term measure but in the long term prevent industries, farm and human from polluting the river which is the real cause and symptom of its ill and it will be one mammoth task indeed considering the hundred and thousand of industries discharging waste directly into it and the millions of human’s waste and animal carcasses dumped in, day in day out. it is indeed shocking and disgusting. Local environmentalist are fighting a losing battle to move the inept and corrupt and inertia challenged govt to do something.

whether or not this solution works, time will tell. i hope it works and the Indian govt be quick to sees the benefit of this Nualgi Nano Biotech (NNB) but…

like so many invention and ideas, i guess, unless white men gives their stamp of approval, no one will gives the indigenous inventions or ideas a second look. whatever it is, give it a benefit of doubt to work.

if it works, good.
if it dont, its just another news that will quickly be pooh-poohed and disappear as fast as it appear.

I don’t see anything wrong, If you can clean the Ganges river with it it would be a good marketing tools. Result will do the talking. Belum breakfast ka kawan?

[quote=“dopamineblitz”][quote=“vertigo”]“The Ganges was ranked among the five most polluted rivers of the world in 2007,[9]” - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganges#cit … eendiary-8

can they apply this on river? :)[/quote]

Right on ![/quote]

often the best invention or technology started and comes from the places which has the most problem. so i wont be surprised that if they have invented some solution to solve the WQ issues in india since they have the most WQ issues there…
and btw, it isnt just the WQ issues in india that is the most concern for the people there, but the problem also affecting receiving water body at downstream neighbouring country i.e. the poor bangladesh people. and it isnt just WQ issues but quantity issues that the indian caused to the bangladeshy.

and WQ treatment for lakes, pond or any enclosed waterbody are good place to start the treatment studies … with rivers which you have none stagnant hydraulic parameters it is trickier to deal with… with this the indian government must enforce how they discharge their urban stormwater into the river… treatment prior to water discharging into rivers might be needed??? who knows?

Goshan’s article is indeed very interesting… i am not a WQ expert but still find it interesting to read. thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

[quote=“gorshan”]vertigo, dopamineblitz. grow up will ya.

[/quote]

err…am i asking the wrong question?

but anyway…,

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/6/7/67c6b_ORIG-I_Ain_t_Even_Mad.jpg

eeek… apa ni. budak kecik pagi pagi lagi dah main troll :slight_smile: