How to differentiate sarawak local ethnic people?

i have been pondering upon this question for a long long time.

I’m a chinese and we have foochow, hakka, henghua, cantonese etc. While you can probably tell them apart by the dialect they converse and their characteristics but physical outlook plays a minimal role in which chinese group they belong too.

i was wondering if it was possible to tell how iban, penan, kenyan, kelabit , bidayuh apart from their appearance/outlook. Is this real? Whenever i ask sarawakian how do u tell them apart?they really look all the same to me" and they explain to me “bidayuhs and kelabits are fairer, while iban have darker complexion” while i can accept these, but how do u tell how the minority like “penan, kenyan apart?”

hepp kenyan? are you refering to the kenyah? :slight_smile:

interesting topic you have there. to identify someone from which ethnic race they are, i think it depend on your upbringing whether you do expose to these ethnic races. like me for instance, i can tell/know which ethnic race/dialect they are by first time meeting them, having a conversation with them or even by looking at their surname apart from identifying them at a glance on their physical appearance. reason being is i grew up and exposed mostly to the bumiputra community since young.

but sad to say i am less exposed to the chinese community so i cant tell whether they are actually a foochow but can converse well in hokkien, etc. however i do know what dialect language they are using during a conversation.

in this matter, identifying them by physical appearance may not be accurate. i personally feel that having a conversation with them does helps a lot in term of in-directly identifying which ethnic race they are from.

if im not mistaken words DAYAK means alot of tribe under dayaks word rite?

* Iban (Dayak Laut)
      o Sebuyau (Iban Sebuyau)
      o Remun (Iban Remun)
      o Balau (Iban Balau)
      o Saribas (Iban Saribas)
      o Iban Ulu Ai
      o Iban Undup
      o Iban Rajang
* Bidayuh (Dayak Darat)
      o Biatah - Padawan
      o Bukar/Sadong - Serian
      o Jagoi/Singai - Bau
      o Selakau/Lara - Lundu

Melayu Sarawak

* Brunei (Melayu Brunei)
* Dayak Muslim
* Melayu Sumatera

Melanau

* Melanau Mukah
* Melanau Dalat
* Melanau Oya
* Melanau Matu-Daro-Rejang
* Melanau Ba'ie (Bintulu)
* Melanau Balingian
* Melanau Miri
* Melanau Igan

Orang Ulu:-

* Kayan
* Kenyah
* Kajang
* Kejaman
* Punan
* Ukit
* Penan
* Lun Bawang
* Lun Dayeh
* Murut
* Berawan
* Kelabit

Bisaya

Kedayan

something i found from wikipedia,also to me cannot to diffrent the etnic,just look like same,unless chinese la,but sometimes when i meet somes kedayan dusun also like chinese hehe…no matter whut…proud to be sarawakian…alot of races…we r under 1 roof!..chewaah

i am still confused. I don’t understand bahasa sarawak, not to mention all the iban.kayan,penan languages they speak.So its not possible to tell from their appearance?

u have to be friend alot with them so then u will understand…i still remember…in 60’s 70’s 80’s…in sarawak…chinese with iban with malay with others race got very2 close realationship…until got chinese also can speak malay smooth…but today…not a lot…just some…

most of the miri chinese i know speak bahasa sarawak, i have no idea what they’re talking about all the time if they use that. As for ethnic locals, alot of them speak mandarin. very suprised with that!

ah, that is actually quite common. but then, you also have ethnic locals who, if they can’t speak mandarin, are able to speak hokkien, foochow, etc.
hmm…it’s actually quite tough to judge through appearance alone. for example…i have a friend who is ‘indian’ on official documents, but grew up speaking Iban and mandarin. another person i know…he happens to be brought up in a pure chinese family, has a chinese surname…but can’t even speak Mandarin or any other dialect. basically…one of the very few ways you differentiate is by actually asking the person his/her ethnicity, i’m sure they don’t mind telling =)

so many tribes…no standards

sad state of affairs

lol… I can speak mandarin, hakka, hokkien, cantonese, foo chow (last time only), Melayu, Bahasa Sarawak, Melanau (last time only) and Iban too… :o Yes you can tell what tribes they are by the look only. So far I think more easy to identified is orang Ulu (Kenyah / Kayan) and Kelabit for native tribes by the look.

by john84 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:30 am

so many tribes…no standards

sad state of affairs

lol…look, it’s johnnie boy again lol… :shock:

lol i dont thk the locals can differentiate us chinese from hakka, foochow, hokkien, etc either

How to differentiate? Very easy. You can ask them. “What is your race”. Don’t make thing so hard.

Lol that’s the best method so far :lol:

Lol that’s the best method so far :lol:[/quote]

Yes that true. This kind of question never come through my mind at all.

[quote=“heterodyne”]i have been pondering upon this question for a long long time.

I’m a chinese and we have foochow, hakka, henghua, cantonese etc. While you can probably tell them apart by the dialect they converse and their characteristics but physical outlook plays a minimal role in which chinese group they belong too.

i was wondering if it was possible to tell how iban, penan, kenyan, kelabit , bidayuh apart from their appearance/outlook. Is this real? Whenever i ask sarawakian how do u tell them apart?they really look all the same to me" and they explain to me “bidayuhs and kelabits are fairer, while iban have darker complexion” while i can accept these, but how do u tell how the minority like “penan, kenyan apart?”[/quote]
Don’t you… I saw many pure Iban also had a very very fair complexion compared with chinese, orang ulu, kelabit and so on…not majority lol…

[quote=“LeVin20V”]if im not mistaken words DAYAK means alot of tribe under dayaks word rite?

* Iban (Dayak Laut)
      o Sebuyau (Iban Sebuyau)
      o Remun (Iban Remun)
      o Balau (Iban Balau)
      o Saribas (Iban Saribas)
      o Iban Ulu Ai
      o Iban Undup
      o Iban Rajang
* Bidayuh (Dayak Darat)
      o Biatah - Padawan
      o Bukar/Sadong - Serian
      o Jagoi/Singai - Bau
      o Selakau/Lara - Lundu

Melayu Sarawak

* Brunei (Melayu Brunei)
* Dayak Muslim
* Melayu Sumatera

Melanau

* Melanau Mukah
* Melanau Dalat
* Melanau Oya
* Melanau Matu-Daro-Rejang
* Melanau Ba'ie (Bintulu)
* Melanau Balingian
* Melanau Miri
* Melanau Igan

Orang Ulu:-

* Kayan
* Kenyah
* Kajang
* Kejaman
* Punan
* Ukit
* Penan
* Lun Bawang
* Lun Dayeh
* Murut
* Berawan
* Kelabit

Bisaya

Kedayan

something i found from wikipedia,also to me cannot to diffrent the etnic,just look like same,unless chinese la,but sometimes when i meet somes kedayan dusun also like chinese hehe…no matter whut…proud to be sarawakian…alot of races…we r under 1 roof!..chewaah[/quote]
I thought kedayan were muslim & almost like malays.? Only different is they have their own dialect (with rough tone).? Kedayan are mostly from sibuti / bekenu village. Not Kadazan…Kadazan dusun & sino kadazaan were from Sabah and can be found also in minor in limbang or lawas area. The one you said look like chinese are sino kadazaan (Chinese mixed kadazaan dusun = Sino Kadazaan).

what about orang putih tribe?

did you all forget the first king of Sarawak?

[quote=“raymond4319”]
I thought kedayan were muslim & almost like malays.? Only different is they have their own dialect (with rough tone).? Kedayan are mostly from sibuti / bekenu village. Not Kadazan…Kadazan dusun & sino kadazaan were from Sabah and can be found also in minor in limbang or lawas area. The one you said look like chinese are sino kadazaan (Chinese mixed kadazaan dusun = Sino Kadazaan).[/quote]

kedayan religion is muslim…the religion is muslim…but the race is kedayan…malay is malay…its diffrent…same like melanau…some melanau’s r christian,and some melanau are muslim…also like dayak…if they convert to muslim,they r still dayak…not malay…alot ppl comfuse with this…malay is just race…some malays also got out from muslim n joint christians…but the race still malay…

[quote=“john84”]what about orang putih tribe?

did you all forget the first king of Sarawak?[/quote]
can we discuss/debate based on the thread topic? this has nothing to do with orang putih tribe.

btw off the record, who is the so-called first king of sarawak?

true enough. a race is a race and a religion is a religion. a race have the freedom to choose whatever religion ‘suit’ them.

HOWEVER…

i beg to differ on your statement pertaining to ‘some malays also got out from muslim n joint christians…but the race still malay…’ reality check, there is no way (no road) for a muslim to ‘go out’ from their religion in order to convert into other religion legally. illegally way - yes it does exist. due to the sensitivity of religion matter, let’s not light up a ‘spark’ here ya.

now back to the main topic please… :smiley:

[quote=“LadyBird”][quote=“john84”]what about orang putih tribe?

did you all forget the first king of Sarawak?[/quote]
can we discuss/debate based on the thread topic? this has nothing to do with orang putih tribe.

btw off the record, who is the so-called first king of sarawak?[/quote]

Why tell to debate about the thread topic then go off topic yourself??? :? :? :? please try to set a good example

you don’t know who the first Rajah of Sarawak is?..I give u a clue (ORANG PUTIH) first name starts with capital J