How reliable is it ...?

A few months back, I was in KL and was flying back by Air Asia. When I was in KL, I bought a small table from IKEA and knowing that I was flying back by Air Asia, I was very careful in making sure the weight of the table I bought (i.e. not to be over 15kg). Yeah, I looked at the weight stated on the box of the table as 11kg. So, I thought, if plus my luggage should be less than 15 kg.

And so, when I was at the LCCT, checking in, then, weighing the table, the weighing machine at LCCT stated 12kg. Then, I asked the guy at the counter, how come the machine is 12Kg, but the net weight at the box states 11kg. Now, which one is right (one can argue, well, what stated on the box maybe is wrong)? Just for the benifit of the doubt, I mean, how reliable is the weighing machine? Knowing that, 1 kg above the 15kg, would have an extra charge of RM15/kg. That’s a lot, isn’t it? Since there were a lot of people at the back of me, I didn’t want to argue too long, besides the guy just say that, the weighing machine showed 12 kg, so that’s it. So, I decided not to check in my luggage, cos’ with the luggage, it was 1 kg extra. Well, can say that, I’m too calculative, but, to me it is not really the money, but, the integrity of the system.

And so I was thinking, they can cheat on the weight, anytime … How sure are we that the weighing machine is showing the real weight? Is the reading reliable? I don’t know … or maybe, just don’t care lah …

I agree with you…

In cases like this, it’s not about
the money at all… Be it RM100,
RM15 or RM0.10…

However, I do think the only way
ur gonna know is when you know
the workers at AirAsia or the people
who maintains/fixes the weighing
machines…

But then again, that could never
happen… I mean what are the
chances of us winning a weighing
machine debate with public listed
AirAsia?

Hey, I didn’t say it’s not possible but…

No point going thru much hassle
unless you have the right resources
if you know what I mean…

Only one way to find out - if you have the time, get one of those standard weight lifting weighs (1KG) and then measure it several places to verify its weight, and bring it to the LCCT and weigh it there.

Or make a complaint to whichever authority it was for them to investigate.

taking air asia from the first time I fly to KL n till now I am using their services
Never really thought of suc question because I always fly with my sister around to company me
Never have over weight problem.
I might pay more attention next time I go through there.
But somehow I personally thinks that the weighing machine sometimes might be little problem too
because what I actually realized is that they can never stop rating the weight of the luggage (the number never stop turning) when we put it up there so I wonder how accurate will it be…