Hospital Miri endoscopy unit partially burnt

MIRI: Hospital Miri declared a Stage 2 fire emergency on Tuesday (Oct 30) night when smoke enveloped its endoscopy unit.

Hospital director Dr Jack Wong said that the unit was partially burnt in the 8.30pm incident, probably due to wiring issues with its air-conditioning unit.

“There was no fire but we decided to issue a Stage 2 emergency alert just in case.

“The Fire and Rescue Department was alerted and the situation contained shortly after,” he said in a statement on Wednesday (Oct 31).

Miri Fire and Rescue Department chief Supt Law Poh Kiong said an initial probe indicated the possibility of wiring problems in the endoscopy unit.

“We received a 999 call from the hospital and sent a team there from Bomba Lopeng station.

“The situation was contained by 9pm but we will carry out a probe on the wiring to prevent a recurrence,” he said.