Helicopter crashes off Bintulu, survivors found

Smallee…Just curiosty…Does these choppers in the photos have aircon inside?

similar to tat red bird but the one we are using is not Red color la… same model but different color…

that red bird is too bright and easy for the cat sniper to target…

Does these choppers in the photos have aircon inside?

I think most aircraft today have creature comfort unless it is for cargo purposes.

Nope… as fas as I could feel everytime when I board them… there only have a blower so when flying high, you get the cool air circulation in the cabin…

Super Puma L2 is an old choper. mostly not suitable to use for off shore and carry passager to rig. Shell and Petronas should change and get new chopper for offshore. They are profit making company and putting HSE first priority for they staffs. but see the chopper they use like 20 yrs old. This not the second time the same type chopper crash into the sea. Should get new type chopper.

[quote=“smallee”]
But if it is an uncontrollable crash, then it is hard to tell before situation make peoples brain decide differently even you are trained because we are then turning into a so called Survival mode…

Just my 2 cents… :wink:[/quote]

Usually only when there is a structural failure or blade failure (especially tailfan) or control linkage will a chopper go into uncontrollable crash - as most engine failures the pilot will just put the chopper into autorotate and have the chopper go down with some reasonable amount of control.

If its an uncontrollable crash just ride it in and decide later.

[quote=“ian”][quote=“smallee”]
But if it is an uncontrollable crash, then it is hard to tell before situation make peoples brain decide differently even you are trained because we are then turning into a so called Survival mode…

Just my 2 cents… :wink:[/quote]

Usually only when there is a structural failure or blade failure (especially tailfan) or control linkage will a chopper go into uncontrollable crash - as most engine failures the pilot will just put the chopper into autorotate and have the chopper go down with some reasonable amount of control.

If its an uncontrollable crash just ride it in and decide later.[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY… Agreed… :wink:

Actually, they were originally quite suited for offshore and heavy weather. In UK they used it for offshore as well. Just that these are now pretty old and prone to failures.

Whatever it is, WE are the ones who have to risk our lives earning a living. Very grim. Very, very grim. The good thing is that I dont have to bother telling stories of survival if i die on the next chopper trip. Hopefully thats the case :twisted:

I look at at life from a different angle la… we…as a human being… so I think we can choose which way we want to head off… if everytime when u jump on a helicopter and u got this feeling of crashing, then why choose to jump on it… betul tak…

Maybe when the real thing happen, u might be thinking totally different and start finding for surviving before u will realise a lot of things u haven’t accomplish in life… hehe… :wink:

Source: http://bernama.com/bernama/v3/news.php?id=244527

February 01, 2007 00:14 AM

Helicopter Crash Victim Just Started Working Five Months Ago

MIRI, Feb 1 (Bernama) – Aewan Faslasaini Sallehin, 22, who was killed when the helicopter ferrying him and seven other passengers to an oil platfrom about 80km offshore Bintulu crashed into the South China Sea, had just started working as a technician with Dejtech Sdn Bhd five months ago.

“Before he joined the company he used to help his mother in her shop,” said his father Mohd Salleh Rakawi.

Mohd Salleh, 66, who was met at his brother’s home here today, said the family only came to know about the tragedy through the news on the television and did not think that their son was involved.

Mohd Salleh, who was still in a state of shock, said that the last time the family met him was when he came home to their kampung in Mukah two months ago.

The youngest among eleven siblings, he was brought up by an uncle (Sallehin) since birth and was said to be very active in extreme sports. It is understood he was also engaged.

“Now all we can do is to wait for his body to arrive so that we can give him a proper burial,” added Mohd Salleh.

His body was found by a rescue team still strapped to his seat in the Super Puma L2 helicopter, which was half submerged after it crashed at 2.30 pm Tuesday.

All the others including the two pilots of the ill-fated helicopter owned by Malaysian Helicopter Services (MHS) survived the crash.

The helicopter was piloted by Abdullah Ishak, 46, and assisted by his co-pilot Tham Quang Thiet, 47, a Vietnamese.

Those who survived are Douglas Akang, 25; Affendy Abdul Rahman, 40; Markson Leju, 29; Ravi Kumbong, 30; Daniel Jerome Juan, 32; Sazali Shamsudin, 35; and Harry Sidadum, 36.

The helicopter had taken off from the Miri Airport at 1 pm and had dropped off other passengers at two offshore oil platforms - Delta 35 and Bayan Alpha, and was just about three kilometres from a third, Delta 18, when it went down.

Six of them managed two scramble on to a self-inflatable liferaft while three others floated in the sea with their life jackets before being rescued by an emergency response team.

Meanwhile, Aewan’s body arrived at Bintulu Port on board the Royal Malaysian Navy’s KD Kedah at 9 pm Wednesday night after almost a seven-hour journey from the scene of the crash.

It was brought to the Bintulu Hospital and is expected to be released Thursday for burial.

Kidurong State Assemblyman Chiew Chiu Sing said that one of the rescued passengers told him that the helicopter was flying at a height of 400 feet before it crashed.

"One of the crash victims said he saw smoke coming out from the helicopter. At that time, the helicopter was flying at approximately 400 feet above sea level before it suddenly plummeted down.

“They were scared but prepared for any eventuality,” he told reporters after visiting two survivors who are still warded at the Bintulu Hospital. They are Sazali Shamsudin and Harry Sidadum.

All the other survivors have been discharged from the hospital but their whereabouts are not immediately known. Members of the press have also been barred from entering the ward where the two Petronas Carigali staff are warded.

– BERNAMA

Source: http://bernama.com/bernama/state_news/news.php?id=244480&cat=sre

January 31, 2007 20:31 PM

All MHS Offshore Flight Choppers Suspended Until Further Notice

KUCHING, Jan 31 (Bernama) – All offshore flight helicopters of Malaysian Helicopter Services Sdn Bhd (MHS) and contracted to Petronas Carigali have been suspended until further notice following Tuesday’s mishap, off Bintulu, a Petronas official said Wednesday.

The official, who declined to be named, however, said all operations at its offshore installations were still ongoing by using vessels.

“The suspension is pending investigation into the cause of the crash involving the ill-fated Super Puma L2 helicopter,” he told Bernama.

In Tuesday’s mishap, the MHS-owned Super Puma L2 helicopter contracted to Petronas Carigali to ferry oil and gas workers offshore Sarawak and Sabah, crashed at about 2.30 pm in the South China Sea, enroute to D-18 Platform from the Bayan A Platform.

Nine people survived the crash, including MHS pilot Abdullah Ishak, 46, and Vietnamese co-pilot Tham Quang Thiet, 47, while the sole fatality was Aewan Faslasaini Sallehin, 22, an employee of Dejtech Sdb Bhd, a manpower supply contractor for platform maintenance for Petronas Carigali.

The other survivors are Douglas Akang, 25, Affendy Abdul Rahman, 40, Markson Leju, 29, Ravi Kumbong, 30, Daniel Jerome Juan, 32, Sazali Shamsudin, 35, and Harry Sidadum, 36.

Meanwhile, DCA Sarawak regional director Huang Tiong Poh said yesterday’s mishap had not affected the flight operations of other helicopters and aircraft.

This is the second time in less than a year that a similar helicopter had crashed off Sarawak waters.

On June 18 last year, a Super Puma helicopter ditched in the South China Sea enroute to the B11 oil platform, off Bintulu, but no casualties were reported.

– BERNAMA

Source: http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=12887

Thursday, February 1st, 2007

Family of chopper crash victim still in shock

MIRI: The mother of a Petronas Carigali contract staff is still in shock and disbelief over the death of her son, Aewan Faslasaini Salihin, 22, after the helicopter he was travelling in crashed in waters off Bintulu on Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.theborneopost.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/00000817.jpg
AEWAN: Supposed to have come home after two weeks offshore today.

She said that Aewan, a technician working with Dej-Teck Sdn Bhd, last talked to her before he went offshore middle of last month was about his desire to concentrate on his career.

I want to focus on my carrier and talk less, was what Aewan told his mother, Noraini Abdullah, 52, a Melanau who hails from Kampung Muhibbah, Kuala Baram.

That desire is never fulfilled because his (dead) body was found by the Search and Rescue team about 2.20 pm yesterday. His remains were rushed to Bintulu for a post mortem.

Noriani said that Aewan, her youngest child, was a friendly and cheerful person. He was easy to get along with and was liked by his colleagues and friends.

He was supposed to return home tomorrow (Feb 1) after nearly two weeks working offshore, she lamented, adding that there was nothing unusual about him before he left two weeks ago nor was there any sign of sort prior to his sudden demise.

Aewan was one of eight workers onboard the helicopter that crash-landed in the open sea off Bintulu on Tuesday.

I know it but I am still hoping and praying against all odds that my son is alive, she wept, while being consoled by her other children.

She said that Aewan had only been working at his post for six months after he graduating in mechanical studies from Pusat Giat Mara in Kuala Baram.

Aewans sister, Siti Hadzar, 36, who was very closed to him, said that every time he returned back from offshore, he would ask his mother to cook Kacang Dal - his favourite dish.

I was looking forward to seeing him tomorrow (today) because thats when hes back from offshore, she said while clutching a framed photograph of her favourite brother, still a bachelor.

Their father Selihin Rakawi, 56, who operates a canteen in Kuala Baram, was still in shock to be interviewed.

Meanwhile, several Petronas Carigali officials visited the familys home in Kuala Baram yesterday to offer their condolence.

Family members and relatives are also still in disbelief about the incident and are gathering at the home to give whatever assistance they could and offer words of comfort to the bereaved family.

just to show how this Super Puma looks like… it is actually a big helicopter if comparing to some use in oversea offshore operation…

now that is scary…

y u like to bring up OOOOOOOOOLLLLDDDD story lah…

stop BUMP-ing another OLD NEWS. CONTRIBUTE by updating the latest news with USEFUL infos instead.
cheers.