Helicopter crashes off Bintulu, survivors found

Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/1/30/nation/20070130194722&sec=nation.

Tuesday January 30, 2007

Helicopter crashes off Bintulu, survivors found

KUALA LUMPUR: Seven Petronas Carigali oilrig workers and two pilots miraculously survived a helicopter crash after a helicopter ferrying them crashed into the sea some 80km off Bintulu Tuesday.

Search and rescue operations are underway for one other missing oilrig worker, whose name has not been disclosed.

In a statement, Petronas said the Super Puma L2 helicopter belonging to Malaysian Helicopter Services (MHS) crashed at about 2.30pm pm, shortly after leaving an offshore platform for another rig.

The helicopter was to have arrived at its destination at about 2.40pm but the Miri control tower, lost contact with it midway.

Petronas will release more information as soon as it is available.

any insider news or gossip?/ :wink:

not again…MHS?! Why cant they buy new copters? I remember the same tragedy in June 2005. Both my bosses are in the copter, thank God all the passengers were survived. Traumatic experience for these people…and can you guys imagine, one of my boss still refused to use copter going offshore, he prefers to use boat! :? :cry:

Source: http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=12859

Wednesday, January 31st, 2007

Chopper crash-lands at sea

Nine survivors picked out of stormy waters; search and rescue ops continues for missing contract staff
MIRI: One passenger was reported missing after a Super Puma L-2 helicopter crash-landed in the stormy South China Sea about 80 km from Bintulu yesterday afternoon.

The Super Puma L-2 belonging to Malaysian Helicopter Services (MHS) was carrying eight offshore crews and two pilots in Bintulu waters when it went down at about 2.30 pm in the waters between D-35 and Bayan platform.

Six were Carigalis employees while the other two were contract staff seconded to Carigali, one of whom was still missing at press time.

The missing passenger was identified as Irwan Faslas Saini in his 20s from Kuala Baram, Miri.

The aircraft remained floating, secured by a standby vessel after the crash near D18 platform. This was in contrast to the last incident where the aircraft sank within minutes near D11 in Bintulu waters.

Yesterdays crash-landing in the sea is the third for a Super Puma helicopter since 2005. The helicopter was used to provide transport service for oil exploration companies in the country.
According to sources, nine of the survivors were in an inflatable dinghy when plucked out of the churning waters by a standby boat from the nearby platform which spotted them about the same time a SAR Sikorsky-AS 92 helicopter, mounted after the SOS was received by Shell Emergency Response Centre, came upon them.

The rescue boat tried to berth at the platform but was unsuccessful after several attempts, due to the rough sea conditions, forcing it to head to Bintulu with the rescued victims.

Standby rescue boats could not be dispatched to the scene due to rough sea conditions. The survivors had to be lifted up by a hovering Sikorsky-AS 92 helicopter, which first spotted them.

The two-pilot rotary rescue aircraft picked up the workers for the offshore rigs around D-35 and Bayan platform, operated by Carigali Petronas. They were flown to Bintulu hospital for examination and treatment.

On June 18, 2005 an MHS Super Puma carrying 11 workers from Shell and its contractors plunged into the sea within visible distance of an offshore gas production platform (B11) in Bintulu waters at noon.

Yesterdays incident was eerily similar to a second incident on Nov 5, 2006 involving an MHS Super Puma helicopter carrying ExxonMobil employees that went down while flying to an oil rig in the waters off Terengganu.

The aircraft crash-landed at 11.40 am in the South China Sea, about 103 nautical miles off Dungun and about 200 metres short of its destination, ExxonMobils Tapis B platform.

It was descending towards the platforms helipad but the experienced pilots averted a catastrophic crash by diverting the failing aircraft away from the platform into safer waters.

[i]Meanwhile, in a press statement issued in Kuala Lumpur on the incident, Petronas confirmed the incident.

The statement by its head of media relations Azman Ibrahim said the incident occurred at 2.30 pm while departing from an offshore platform en route to another platform, and that nine persons including the two pilots had been rescued while another person was still missing.

The search and rescue operation was ongoing at press time and Petronas would release more information as the details came.

The press in Miri was given the runaround by the management of Carigali and MHS here, being kept out of the office and told there would be a press conference, which did not materialise. They were locked out together with family members of the victims and were only allowed in much later.

Deputy Miri OCPD Supt Abang Abdillah Abang Othman confirmed that Miri Police had been informed of the incident. [/i]

Source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news.php?id=244334

January 30, 2007 23:24 PM

Press Being Kept In The Dark About Heli Crash

MIRI, Jan 30 (Bernama)-- Petronas’ unofficial gag order to prevent more information from being made available to the media appears to be working as hours after news of a helicopter, in which its staff were among those on board crashed at sea Tuesday, the mission to bring survivors back ashore to Bintulu seems to be shrouded in secrecy.

Bernama learnt that the latest information about the incident is being kept exclusively at the management level of the national oil corporation as attempts to reach the local police authority over it also did not bear fruit.

A police report was said to have been lodged here about the incident but neither Bintulu Police Chief Supt Sulaiman Abdul Razak nor the Central Police Station’s officer-in- charge, ASP Hasmeera Hassan, could be reached to confirm this.

Earlier, a statement from Petronas in Kuala Lumpur revealed that nine persons survived the crash that took place about 2.30pm Tuesday about 80 kilometres off Bintulu, but as of 10pm Tuesday night, there has been no sign of any of them being brought to the hospital here, the nearest treatment centre to the scene.

The four-paragraph statement that was released almost six hours after the incident also disappointed press members who expressed that lacked enough information about the incident.

– BERNAMA

I wonder why the secrecy? Sil and I were in our subs cruising along that area that time. If news got out just in time, we would have stop by to help out. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Seven Petronas Carigali oilrig workers and two pilots miraculously survived a helicopter crash”

Well, if it’s a miracle then it wouldn’t have happened in the first place. Or the crash reversed itself into flight. Now THAT’s a miracle.

Earlier, a statement from Petronas in Kuala Lumpur revealed that nine persons survived the crash that took place about 2.30pm Tuesday about 80 kilometres off Bintulu, but as of 10pm Tuesday night, there has been no sign of any of them being brought to the hospital here, the nearest treatment centre to the scene.

Oh no, are we seeing a repeat of the Adam Air fiasco?

latest update: 1 passenger still missing… :cry:

I wont be surprised if i crash into the sea on the next offshore trip hehe :twisted:

Few Possiblity
1.The company may have been disorganised in handling this emergency.Meaning, they would have hit the panic button not knowing what to do.Moments like this they would not like to meet the press .

Press plays an important role in emergency,If you are well organised,I don’t see problem in meeting them.

I wont be surprised if i crash into the sea on the next offshore trip hehe

Yeah, but don’t get selfish and die. We want you to live through it to tell us about it if it does happen.

i think petronas malu wat happen…that MHS is known to get crashed often…

apai_mau,
if the heli mauk crash,can we just jump to the water terus instead of tunggu the heli copter to actually crash landed?i know the blade will stop after 7-8seconds

Get new copters…

[quote=“chilskater”]apai_mau,
if the heli mauk crash,can we just jump to the water terus instead of tunggu the heli copter to actually crash landed?i know the blade will stop after 7-8seconds[/quote]

chil, u go for ur sea survival first, then you can jump…

I doubt you can jump out instantly after the blade rotor stops because you’ll be stunned, fumbling over the seat belts, and trying to open the door - doing all this while the heli quickly goes belly-up. It might be a different case if you jump out the heli while it hovers around above sea-level a few more seconds waiting for the crash - not sure about the implications during life threatening moments like this. Can one actually do this during this moment without breaking any safety policies? Just my 2 cents. :smiley:

too much movies for me…ehhehehe

Thats why all the offshore workers go for sea survival course.But however well trained you are, it can be totally different situation in real emergency.

It’s better to stay in the chopper as it crashes. You have your seat belts, you won’t fling around the cabin and break an arm or two to immobilize yourself when you have to swim, and there is no danger of having the chopper land on top of you if you jump in the water or cutting you into sushi for the fishies with its blades.

Plus the chopper is designed to float temporarily after a water landing to let you get out.

There’s a reason they train you for that in the survival course, so better stick with it. This is as good as it gets in terms of survival for heli water landing unless there are newer choppers requiring different egress techniques.

It’s better to stay in the chopper as it crashes. You have your seat belts, you won’t fling around the cabin and break an arm or two to immobilize yourself when you have to swim, and there is no danger of having the chopper land on top of you if you jump in the water or cutting you into sushi for the fishies with its blades.

Plus the chopper is designed to float temporarily after a water landing to let you get out.

There’s a reason they train you for that in the survival course, so better stick with it. This is as good as it gets in terms of survival for heli water landing unless there are newer choppers requiring different egress techniques.[/quote]

Ian… u sounds like a Trainer in one of the training centre… hehe… I think the best is to stay calm and see what happen next… normally in normal situation crash or controlled crash or controlled emergency landing, what Ian said is true… and some helicopter are design to float( e.g Sikorsky S61N)… and some are equipped with inflatable floatation device( e.g Sikorsky S76 )

But if it is an uncontrollable crash, then it is hard to tell before situation make peoples brain decide differently even you are trained because we are then turning into a so called Survival mode…

Just my 2 cents… :wink:

Smallee, ur present chopper is better. Ada gaya.