GST after elections

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 13 The government will introduce the controversial goods and services tax (GST) only after the next general election, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said today.
I guess when the time is right, in the near future, probably after the next general election, we will introduce the GST.

We need to explain this to the people and there is a growing acceptance that this is the way forward for Malaysia, he said in a dialogue session with Forbes Media editor-in-chief Steve Forbes at a conference here.

Najib pointed out that GST was necessary because only 1.2 million Malaysians out of a workforce of 12 million were taxpayers.

Fearing a political fallout, the government has repeatedly postponed the implementation of the GST due to fierce political resistance. It was originally expected to have been implemented by the middle of 2011.

The GST is expected to help the government reduce the federal budget deficit and grow revenue by widening its tax base as currently only about 10 per cent of Malaysian workers pay income tax.

More: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/mala … ays-najib/

“Fearing a political fallout,…” <-- This shows they don’t care about the country but only their political power :shock:

[size=150]“Najib pointed out that GST was necessary because only 1.2 million Malaysians out of a workforce of 12 million were taxpayers.”[/size]

Well this is because they are not earning enough…Increase standard of living plus Wages then charge GST…

That’s mean so many people are earning RM2500 per annum/year :?

[quote=“amy89”][size=150]“Najib pointed out that GST was necessary because only 1.2 million Malaysians out of a workforce of 12 million were taxpayers.”[/size]

Well this is because they are not earning enough…Increase standard of living plus Wages then charge GST…[/quote]

It also means our civil service of 1 million is too big for a country of 28 million. Basically, 1.2 million excluding commercial and industrial paying gaji of 1 million. Now you know who is the BOSS.

Are you sure about this RM2500 per annum/year = RM2500 a year

quoted “The GST is expected to help the government reduce the federal budget deficit and grow revenue by widening its tax base”

reduce federal budget deficit, or to clink clink clink into their pockets?
i think we all know the answer to that…

[quote=“Eugene91”]KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 13 The government will introduce the controversial goods and services tax (GST) only after the next general election, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said today.
I guess when the time is right, in the near future, probably after the next general election, we will introduce the GST.

We need to explain this to the people and there is a growing acceptance that this is the way forward for Malaysia, he said in a dialogue session with Forbes Media editor-in-chief Steve Forbes at a conference here.

Najib pointed out that GST was necessary because[b][u] only 1.2 million Malaysians out of a workforce of 12 million were taxpayers.

Fearing a political fallout, the government has repeatedly postponed the implementation of the GST due to fierce political resistance. It was originally expected to have been implemented by the middle of 2011.

The GST is expected to help the government reduce the federal budget deficit and grow revenue by widening its tax base as currently only about 10 per cent of Malaysian workers pay income tax.

More: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/mala … ays-najib/

“Fearing a political fallout,…” <-- This shows they don’t care about the country but only their political power :shock:[/quote]

The main reason for this deficit is because of our incapable leaders who illegally utilize our country funds for personal use/gains.
Personal Trips, Personal jewelry, personal assets and not to mention, personal entertainment.

They are the main cause for our country degradation and economy deficit.
If they dare to allows other telcos, i think our country will have much better gains.

Well, they dun dare becoz they wanna monopoly the market for personal gains.

Whenever i see the statement they give out…i really can’t stand but laugh at their pathetic logics dat is not logic at all.

well said…

only in my case, instead of laughing at them, i feel like breaking down and weep in frustration…
:frowning:

we not a taxpayer because our salary not yet reach the minimum salary range to pay tax la…

we may not be taxpayer, but you just have to feel a certain amount of sadness at how all that money is being squandered by the impotent so-called leaders…

You may not be an income tax payer now due to your salary bracket but the implementation of GST predicted to be after GE13, you will be taxed whether you like it or not or whether your salary is RM1. GST does not discriminate.

You may not be an income tax payer now due to your salary bracket but the implementation of GST predicted to be after GE13, you will be taxed whether you like it or not or whether your salary is RM1. GST does not discriminate.[/quote]

But it will put a heavy strain on the poor to slightly lower than middle class families…
and I think we have a pretty widening range of this families in malaysia…
:frowning:

Actually we “are” tax payers.

Road Tax are tax.
House tax are tax.

Maybe our idiot PM does not realize those are tax as well.
Anyone who owns a house, car, Bike is a tax payers.

Anyone who owns a local phone line is a tax payers
Anyone who owns a streamyx line is a tax payers.

So i wonder how’s they got the weird statistic ? Maybe as usual, twisting the real truth?

not forgetting KFC, McD etc. for 6% govt tax.

welcome to the real world

next it is time to take away the petrol subsidy, you people have been leeching long enough

You may not be an income tax payer now due to your salary bracket but the implementation of GST predicted to be after GE13, you will be taxed whether you like it or not or whether your salary is RM1. GST does not discriminate.[/quote]

But it will put a heavy strain on the poor to slightly lower than middle class families…
and I think we have a pretty widening range of this families in malaysia…
:([/quote]

You’re right GST will put a heavy strain on the already disadvantaged groups such as the poor to the middle class. Even the working middle income family are feeling the pinch of inflation. The intention of implementing GST is to increase the tax based on consumption, so everyone pays for goods and services rendered.
I don’t know what the widening range would be but I’m pretty sure in the near future, we will have the poor, the rich and the super rich in the country.

@stay

i’m not sure where I saw it but there was a an article showing the widening chasm between the rich and the middle class and poor in malaysia…
the gap is staggering while the middle class is shrinking and the poor widening while the rich simply got richer and richer…

it is just a sign of things to come and it doesn’t seem like it will go for better…

Are you sure about this RM2500 per annum/year = RM2500 a year[/quote]

According to http://www.hasil.gov.my/goindex.php?kum … 00&sequ=11

Based on net income iinm

[quote=“gameaddict”]Actually we “are” tax payers.

Road Tax are tax.
House tax are tax.

Maybe our idiot PM does not realize those are tax as well.
Anyone who owns a house, car, Bike is a tax payers.

Anyone who owns a local phone line is a tax payers
Anyone who owns a streamyx line is a tax payers.

So i wonder how’s they got the weird statistic ? Maybe as usual, twisting the real truth?[/quote]

Well still it is unfair for some of us who do pay income tax which is quite a lot…

I guess they did not include other taxes into the statistics.

think of it this way…

Guy A = salary over 2500
Guy B = salary around 800

both tax lets say 10%…

Guy A after tax still got 2250 cash to use.
Guy B after tax only got 720 cash to use…

which do you think will feel the brunt of the tax impact on them?
do you see any fairness in this ?

no sarcasm here, no harsh words… just curious to see how you feel about this?