Monday July 3, 2006
Gerbang Perdanas claim balloons to RM360mil
KUALA LUMPUR: The controversial RM100mil compensation sought by Gerbang Perdana Selatan Bersepadu Sdn Bhd for the cancellation of the Johor half-bridge project has shot up to RM360mil.
Unamused, Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu said the contractor has asked for all sorts of compensations which the ministry could not entertain.
I have directed Public Works Department director-general Datuk Dr Wahid Omar to conduct an investigation into the claims, Samy Vellu said after opening the Malaysia Hindu Sangam annual general meeting yesterday.
Everything will be done like an Anti-Corruption Agency probe. I have instructed Dr Wahid not to be afraid of anybody and do what he thinks is right, and to report only to me.
He said Gerbang Perdana had been given until July 11 to provide all the documents to justify their claims.
The RM100mil compensation claim had resulted in a tiff between Samy Vellu and Public Accounts Committee chairman Datuk Shahrir Samad who asked the ministry to negotiate the amount as the company had been given a RM470mil highway project in return.
Samy Vellu said the ministry had completed its investigation on the work Gerbang Perdana had done and determined the appropriate quantum for the compensation, adding that it was much less than what they asked for.
I can’t tell the amount until it has been brought to the Cabinet. What we have seen from documents, payments made, cheques and personalities (involved), everything has been checked and thats how we know the quantum. It is not RM360mil.
Samy Vellu said that if Gerbang Perdana failed to produce all the documents by the deadline, the ministry would submit its proposed quantum to the Prime Minister and Cabinet for approval.
If they fail to submit all the documents, we will decide that they will not get any compensation or just a little.