[forward]Voice from Miri

Below is the article posted on the YB Lim Kit Siang’s blog:

First, congratulations to DAP for grabbing 6 seats in the general elections! I hope the 6 Rockets will do us proud in the State Assembly and keep BN in check.

On another matter, I write with concern about the situation in Miri and what I fear might be the loss of votes for the opposition especially in the urban areas of Piasau, Pujut and Senadin. The people of Miri are blind-sided by the Miri Resort City smokescreen.

For me and my friends, all of us in our twenties, we do not see any parts of the town resembling a resort city.

1. The petroleum museum and the Lutong bridge are just ploys to trick us into thinking the government is doing their job. They talk big about promoting tourism in Miri and instead, they present us with these small incentives and suddenly call us a city.

2. The Baram bridge is probably the most expensive bridge in Malaysia. It costs RM20 in total to get to and fro and is nowhere near the length of the Penang Bridge (13km) which only takes RM14 to go both ways. We were promised a suspension bridge but are charged a ridiculous fee instead to compensate for the governments inability to fork up sufficient funds to complete the bridge.

3. Another worrying issue : the crime rate in Miri is rising very quickly. There are cases of car thefts and daylight robbing. People are afraid, Miri is not safe anymore. But the Government does not see that as they are too busy feeding us with half-baked development plans to listen to our voice.

4. In addition, one issue concerning the whole of Sarawak is an issue I hold very personally at heart as I am a psychology student. We are not getting enough attention regarding our mental health. Figures from the Mental Health Association show that there are over 5,000 mental patients in Miri alone and have been increasing by 50% every year since 2000. The Miri Counselling Centre has written to the government and met up with George Chan and Lee Kim Shin (Senadin) to discuss having a land provided solely for the purposes of housing and treating these patients. However, this mission has led to one dead end after another as the government deems it unimportant and gave the excuse that there are not enough psychiatrists to go around. In Sarawak alone, there are only 2 of such professionals, namely Dr. Gan and Dr. Yap who are both in Kuching whereas 8 are found in Penang and Kedah and 8 alone in Kuala Lumpur. The Miri General Hospital has a Psychiatry Unit headed by a Medical Offiver which sees only up to about 200 of the 5,000 patients. In Kuching, a home for mental patients near a temple at 7th Mile is being dismantled to make way for a new residential are and more shop lots. These patients cannot be left wandering around in the streets as they may bring danger to themselves and also the public. The federal government has to consider distributing some of the professionals in Semenanjung to Sarawak as this is a growing problem.

Having listed some of the concerns however, the older generation (our parents and elders) are happily satisfied that we are getting the better end of the so-called development. They tie this to George Chans long-lived involvement in Miri. We were not surprised that George Chan retained his seat in Piasau and by a considerably large majority although it has declined since 2001. He still has a lot of face value in Miri and the older generation are familiar with him.

Another reason for his influential position and popularity in Miri is that the older generation are not so much in touch with the current issues going on in the government. We do try to keep them informed but we are young and perhaps the elders find us not convincing enough because of that and they have been voting for him for so long.

Although DAP did not manage to grab the seat in Pujut, I hope that Mr Fong will continue to find out more about Mirians concerns and show his credibility at a most personal and community-based level. It is also important that he bring to our attention of BNs wrongdoings as he will eventually get the information from the 6 DAP Rockets in their strife within the State Assembly. If Mr Fong shows his enthusiasm at a consistent rate and reminds us repeatedly of his presence in Miri, he might be able to get through to the older generation and reconvince the younger of his capabilities to give Mirians a voice. In the meantime, I hope DAP will continue to groom more members and send more Rockets to Miri come the next elections to ensure a DAP win here! We will continue to persuade our family and friends to support DAPs mission to bring the voice of the Rakyat into government!

Power to the People!

http://blog.limkitsiang.com/?p=535#more-535

Amazing that he has his own blog.

On a side note, I agree with a lot of things he mentioned, although it is mostly on the negative side of things.

a few DAP’s MP has their own blog, which is good since most media tend to avoid publishing views from the opposition. I have have been reading Uncle Kit’s blog for quite some time and its a good source of information which we normally can;t find from the mainstream media.

ya… I agree as well. that is all what I will call improvement opportunites that BN needs to look into. Sending a few rockets is good to balance up the political issues but if a lot, then i think it is going to be bad for us ( Sarawakian ). Just like some of our other states in West Malaysia… Kelantan, and bla bla bla… If u have been there, u will see the different comparing to what we have. :roll: :roll:

Actually I prefer to see how young generaton bring out the solution when they encounter problem. Keep bring out the issue without suggestion do not help Miri either.

For

1. This is very subjective. I wish to see what he recommend the government to do if the petroleum museum and the Lutong bridge are considered as “small incentives”?

2. This is good question to bring out. Although the toll should be charged, the amount is questionable.

3. This comment is untrue. Actually

a.MCC is taking action on it already, please refer http://www.miricommunity.net/viewtopic. … 5&start=16.

b.Rakan Cop(http://www.rakancop.net/) had been promoted in Miri few months ago.Every Mirian please go to register on it.

c.YB Lee Kim Shin had organized a dialogue session with Miri Police. Please refer http://www.miricommunity.net/viewtopic.php?t=545

d. Panduan Pencegahan Jenayah had been outlined by Polis Diraja Malaysia.Please read http://www.rmp.gov.my/. Precaution is always better than cure.

It’s all depend on the Mirian if they alert on it/they believe on Police or not, practically. If we see on the other side, do we have better choice to solve the problem despite police?

1. This problem,if not wrong, had bring attention to YB Lee, I forgot when I read the news already. He should complain his case to PM(http://www.pmo.gov.my/website/Feedbackd … B?OpenForm) or through Public Complaints Bureau ([url=http://apps.bpa.jpm.my/eApps/bpaiaducmpl/AduCmplPublic/add.do]http://apps.bpa.jpm.my/eApps/bpaiaducmp … lic/add.do) to alert Federal government on this issue.

That’s all.

[quote=“psim”]

1. This is very subjective. I wish to see what he recommend the government to do if the petroleum museum and the Lutong bridge are considered as “small incentives”?[/quote]

I think the Lutong bridge is very helpful (but I do not know whtehr it is too costly or not) - the museum is a very big dissappointment, one year late and too little content.

1. This comment is untrue. Actually

a.MCC is taking action on it already, please refer http://www.miricommunity.net/viewtopic. … 5&start=16.

It cannot be untrue because it is happening. Taking actions is one thing, what is happening right now is another. I hope the situation will improve over time, meanwhile I recommend everyone to take precautions, such as observing surroundings when exiting their vehicles, etc.

It’s all depend on the Mirian if they alert on it/they believe on Police or not, practically. If we see on the other side, do we have better choice to solve the problem despite police?

The root of the problem is, why are half of the Mirians not believing the police in the first place? Think about it.

Occassionally we have to see things from a Mirian’s point of view, not the Council’s, not the government, not the YB , etc.

[quote=“ian”]
It cannot be untrue because it is happening. Taking actions is one thing, what is happening right now is another. I hope the situation will improve over time, meanwhile I recommend everyone to take precautions, such as observing surroundings when exiting their vehicles, etc. [/quote]

What I mean is on the comment of “the Government does not see that as they are too busy feeding us with half-baked development plans to listen to our voice.”, may be I need to speak in more specifically.

From the dialogue session, the main issue of some cases can not be solved is the public not alert on the procedure of how Police carry out their work and lack of follow-up attitude like providing the convincing evidence to police. Even DAP N64 Pujut candidate Mr. Fong Pau Teck also admit that Miri Police already try their best to overcome the crime after hearing the dialogue session.

However, the turn up on that day is not encouraging. Most of the attendance is the HuaZhong(Including many Chinese associations), SUPP member, DAP(At least Mr. Fong), public.

If the public reluctant to hear and react, what can the authorities do?YB Lee purposely organised the talk in Mandarin medium to cater for the need of Chinese community and held the talk in Sunday noon which most people not tied to their work.

[quote=“psim”]

From the dialogue session, the main issue of some cases can not be solved is the public not alert on the procedure of how Police carry out their work and lack of follow-up attitude like providing the convincing evidence to police. Even DAP N64 Pujut candidate Mr. Fong Pau Teck also admit that Miri Police already try their best to overcome the crime after hearing the dialogue session. [/quote]

Does this include giving strong hints on wanting ‘kopi-o’? A friend of mine got caught for cellphone driving and while he admits he’s at fault, (after all he was driving in a small area and not the main roads) the police kept hinting at him for a bribe.

They kept beating round the bush, checking his car, asking questions such as, “Are you working?” several times, “What is your profession” etc… useless questions having nothng to do with his summon and more likely to do with asking for a quick cash - basically just wasting time. In the end my friend just asked for the ticket, which they promptly shut up and wrote.

They shone a light toward him (at night) so he coudln’t see their ID. I believe that he wasn’t bothered to do so either.

I’m pretty sure this isn’t a normal operating procedure. This is the reason why I asked, “why Mirians aren’t trusting the police”.

Want another story? Another friend’s van got stolen. After giving a report, the police seemed to be doing nothing for a few days, so a quick ‘encouragement’ was given to them… wow, what do you know - they suddenly got really hardworking and ‘found’ his van!!

However, the turn up on that day is not encouraging. Most of the attendance is the HuaZhong(Including many Chinese associations), SUPP member, DAP(At least Mr. Fong), public.

If the public reluctant to hear and react, what can the authorities do?YB Lee purposely organised the talk in Mandarin medium to cater for the need of Chinese community and held the talk in Sunday noon which most people not tied to their work.

Yeah, I know about the talk.

Yes, I know what you mean. Actually I met both good police and bad police(although I am not the one who got summoned).

The 1st one is the one I always think is due to own fault. If we are the one who choose to bribe the traffic officer, then we should not always point the finger to police except ourselves. In law wise, both police and driver already can be charged for illegal practice.

Like me, I never got caught due to this kind of offence(Hear hp, safety belt not tie). But I must make it clear that it’s not I tolerate the bribery, I only mean that I never give the chance to let them “minum kopi O”.

The 2nd one I have no comment. You’re the one who encounter, may be you are right. I never experience this b4.

We must very clear in 1 thing,either BN or Opposition can not solve this kind of issue except the rakyat themselves. If the police want to take, rakyat want to give, then it’s fair deal.

My sentiments exactly. But it affects those who don’t give bribes too. While police that take bribes because they were given bribes, I would not really blame them…

But police who are just asking for a bribe even though the person does not want to is going overboard.

Either way;

Bribe = bad
no bribe = not as bad but still bad

Like me, I never got caught due to this kind of offence(Hear hp, safety belt not tie). But I must make it clear that it’s not I tolerate the bribery, I only mean that I never give the chance to let them “minum kopi O”.

The 2nd one I have no comment. You’re the one who encounter, may be you are right. I never experience this b4.

We must very clear in 1 thing,either BN or Opposition can not solve this kind of issue except the rakyat themselves. If the police want to take, rakyat want to give, then it’s fair deal.

Like I mentioned, it’s only fair deal if both sides agree, unfair deal is when one side is asking.

But really, I’m not one to point fingers. Both sides have their own negatives but the whole point is that eventually, the result is that both the bribe-givers and non-bribe-givers will no longer trust the police, and that’s bad.

[quote=“ian”][quote=“psim”]
The 1st one is the one I always think is due to own fault. If we are the one who choose to bribe the traffic officer, then we should not always point the finger to police except ourselves. In law wise, both police and driver already can be charged for illegal practice.
[/quote]

My sentiments exactly. But it affects those who don’t give bribes too. While police that take bribes because they were given bribes, I would not really blame them…

But police who are just asking for a bribe even though the person does not want to is going overboard.

Either way;

Bribe = bad
no bribe = not as bad but still bad

Like I mentioned, it’s only fair deal if both sides agree, unfair deal is when one side is asking.

But really, I’m not one to point fingers. Both sides have their own negatives but the whole point is that eventually, the result is that both the bribe-givers and non-bribe-givers will no longer trust the police, and that’s bad.[/quote]

I know you are talking in the practical way, especially for the 2nd example(1st one is air deal, not need to discuss anymore). Do you have any suggestion to solve this kind of problem?

I am merely talking from citizen’s perspective. Alas, I do not have a good suggestions aside from teaching people not to bribe and not to do stupid things that let them get caught (and taken advantage of).

Naturally there will always be incidents like this (yin-yang), but now it is just overflowing with bad vibes and really needs to be controlled.

when one attempts to highlight a problem, it doesnt always means he or she has a better solution. just like a person complaining about how bad the economy is, doesnt mean he/she has a better solution.

Yes, I agree.

But I encourage everyone before they complain certain issue, please brainstorm the solution first so that they can see thing in more objective persepctive.

[quote=“psim”]Yes, I agree.
But I encourage everyone before they complain certain issue, please brainstorm the solution first so that they can see thing in more objective persepctive.[/quote]

Might I remind you that I’m not complaining, I am bringing forward an issue to discuss upon.

EDIT: also, being ‘objective’ is subjective as different persons perceive different things differently. It is important to know what the citizens are thinking and THEN act (or not) upon it in the appropriate way. One cannot expect the citizens to think exactly as you want them to think. What I write here are my opinions from my viewpoint.