Doris: Let Pandelela decide what she wants

MIRI: It is best for the government to ask diving star Pandelela Rinong what her needs are to help her develop further in sport and in life.

Wanita PRS chief Dato Sri Doris Sofia Brodie opined that conferring a `datukship’ on her would not be of much benefit to Pandelela as it is only a title.

“It will be better if the recognition comes in the form of development support and assistance, like helping her in her studies,” Doris said yesterday.

“Such an approach will be good for her future.”

Doris added that if Pandelela wanted a ‘datukship’, then by all means the government should consider this, but “personally I feel what is important is for the government to ask her what she needs and give it to her”.

On Pelawan assemblyman David Wong’s recent criticism of PRS president Tan Sri Datuk Amar Dr James Jemut Masing’s stance that the ‘datukship’ could wait, Doris said she believed Masing said it out of good faith.

“I think Masing feels that Pandelela is still very young, and she needs to be encouraged and further developed to be even better in her sport.”

Doris, who is also a political secretary to the Chief Minister, said like all Sarawakians, Masing was very proud of Pandelela and wanted nothing but the best for her.

She added that Wong should not try to milk political mileage from this issue that arose after Pandelela teamed up with Cheong Jun Hoong to win the silver medal in the women’s synchronised 10m platform at the Rio 2016 Olympics last week.

LikeTweet

Source: http://miri.my/2016/08/15/doris-let-pandelela-decide-what-she-wants/