Don't leave security entirely to police

http://www.miricommunity.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=636

Taken from The Borneo Post-

[quote=“Ryna”]Don’t leave security entirely to police[/quote]I like the HEADLINE very much … very true statement!!!

Too many peoples know as good on computer key board “blasing” all the way … if only they could take 1/4 times out from facing the computer and do the actual work to prevent … thing be can prevent if not solves!!!

Just my 2 cents … peace 8)

Aren’t there should be police in selected areas in the first place where reports can be made?

Unfortunately, in a situation such as the Desa Seri heist few months back, even with increase patrol, I wonder how the situation would’ve turned out? It wouldn’t have helped much because the police line either jammed or left alone, and it then took another 30 mins for the police to arrive. Patrols to confront an armed group of robbers could’ve resulted in a worse bloodbath.

I think we still need the police to be better - they are the ones who have arms to deal with armed robbers. We can try sticks and stones, but that would’nt have helped much with security.

My dear friends,

Actually all of you could help such as by joining Sukarelawan Polis.

[quote=“ian”]Aren’t there should be police in selected areas in the first place where reports can be made?[/quote]Oh yes, I agreed on this prastice but again, the fact is … those “un-selected” areas will start to make noise later … just cant please everyone …

[quote=“ian”]Unfortunately, in a situation such as the Desa Seri heist few months back, even with increase patrol, I wonder how the situation would’ve turned out? It wouldn’t have helped much because the police line either jammed or left alone, and it then took another 30 mins for the police to arrive. Patrols to confront an armed group of robbers could’ve resulted in a worse bloodbath. [/quote]No unless there is a small police station/point there to assist and to those who live that area are to conduct regular patrolling … the crime activities will not go down!!! The culprit are getting smarter nowsaday!!!

Armed issue is beyond what I can discuess here :? :wink:

[quote=“ian”]I think we still need the police to be better - they are the ones who have arms to deal with armed robbers. We can try sticks and stones, but that would’nt have helped much with security.[/quote]You hit the jakebox … [size=59]but still …[/size] … Well, as the headline stated … Don’t leave security entirely to police … therefore, it is always wise to have ourselves prepared and to prevent ahead. :slight_smile:

[quote=“iqmedia”]My dear friends,

Actually all of you could help such as by joining Sukarelawan Polis.[/quote]Good thinking BUT … many peoples doesnt have enough time to do so, they are either too busy with their “works” or their finger is “too large” to do sms correctly :wink:

I for one still very much like to prastice and to gear ourselves well and prepared ahead … Police would served as Back-Up Team … :wink:

[quote=“iqmedia”]My dear friends,

Actually all of you could help such as by joining Sukarelawan Polis.[/quote]

Do we have that in Miri? I m not sure la… coz if yes… i am actually out of date… hehe… also… could someone plz explain wat sukarelawan polis got to do and how to improve the security in our lovely city… :lol:

Sukarelawan Polis (SP) is a paid voluntary service organise by PDRM.

Each and every district with IPD (Ibu Pejabat Polis Daerah) and IPK (Ibu Pejabat Polis Kontijen) got SP. SP will work together with regular police officer. In my very honest opinion, it’s better than joining RELA.

In Miri itself, we are still lack of SP around. Just when I arrive in Miri around August, they are still 30 SP needed and PDRM are more emphasis on selecting non-bumis to join SP.

To get more knowledge on SP, try to get the fact on this website: http://www.rmp.gov.my

Leo, it’s common excuses for us to do voluntary work or help others by saying “I’m busy”, “got no time lah”, “Polis *****!” and a lot more. And without enough fact on each on every individual jobs not just police job, we tend to make final and hard conclusion. What more worst is we depend on outsiders (other country) statements than to do research ourself.

And Leo, people like us tend to get this… If we do something right, maybe a few thanks would be heard… maybe… But once we did a mistake… so many… so many worst and negative statement would be heard.

Just my humble opinion based on real life experience.

i believe in cooperation between the people and the police. oni with proper cooperation, we can prevail over crime.

but i don’t believe in asking the people to directly involve in catching those bad guys. first, normal ppl do not have the proper training to handle in those situation. most ppl do not have self defence skill. secondly, normal citizen to not have the authorities or power to catch those criminal.

how many of us can really defense ourself? frankly speaking, i can’t fight. therefore, i don’t think i’ll be good enough to capture those criminal, armed or unarmed. not to mention protecting myself when i got attack.

look at wat happen to those criminal that had caught red handed in west malaysia. although he commited a crime, but beating him to death is not the solution. those ppl do not have the mental strength to prevent themselves to involve personal anger in capturing those bad guys.

we can do our part like reporting suspicious ppl/activities in our neighborhood. make sure we install proper lock and use it. do not show off our wealth and etc.

[quote=“iqmedia”]Sukarelawan Polis (SP) is a paid voluntary service organise by PDRM.

Each and every district with IPD (Ibu Pejabat Polis Daerah) and IPK (Ibu Pejabat Polis Kontijen) got SP. SP will work together with regular police officer. In my very honest opinion, it’s better than joining RELA.[/quote]Definately agreed on this statement!!! :wink:

[quote=“iqmedia”]Leo, it’s common excuses for us to do voluntary work or help others by saying “I’m busy”, “got no time lah”, “Polis *****!” and a lot more. And without enough fact on each on every individual jobs not just police job, we tend to make final and hard conclusion. What more worst is we depend on outsiders (other country) statements than to do research ourself.

And Leo, people like us tend to get this… If we do something right, maybe a few thanks would be heard… maybe… But once we did a mistake… so many… so many worst and negative statement would be heard.

Just my humble opinion based on real life experience.[/quote]O-Man, u hit me … right to my heart :shock: :cry: 8)

By the way, give me a call when u r free … may be we can talk more on this SP :idea: let see. how we can assist each other in one way the other :wink:

[quote=“QueBlur”]i believe in cooperation between the people and the police. oni with proper cooperation, we can prevail over crime.[/quote]TRUE!!!

[quote=“QueBlur”]but i don’t believe in asking the people to directly involve in catching those bad guys. first, normal ppl do not have the proper training to handle in those situation. most ppl do not have self defence skill. secondly, normal citizen to not have the authorities or power to catch those criminal.

how many of us can really defense ourself? frankly speaking, i can’t fight. therefore, i don’t think i’ll be good enough to capture those criminal, armed or unarmed. not to mention protecting myself when i got attack.[/quote]What you have just mentioned is true but I like to point to you that (Not to create issue or to make thing worst) … if we individual dont AT LEAST try to help individual … we are not going to make it possible to live in today world!!! Imagine, you fall down into a cliff, I bet you will at least try your best to climb up/out rather than just shouting for assistance … right? You are not trained to climb out but when come to life threatening situation … eventurelly, your instinct started to GROWTH!!!

U see, we people tend to depend on other too much and that could actually or possible leading us to much more disppointment in one way when our “request” is not met the expectation.

Peace …

Leo, i’ll try to contact u. Not a promise. Got a lot to handle lately. Gone to Kuching tomorrow.

QueBlur, yes u are right about some people (not only normal people, as it would make me paranormal). Try to confront difficulties in a number of force. To get proper training, try to join uniform bodies such as RELA, SP, Wataniah, JPA3, PBSM, etc… The one who join this are also civilian (normal people) too…

If maybe u dont want to involve in anything like above, maybe u could enter self defense classes and such.

And any case, first think and analyze the situation. Why must u think u need to capture the criminal in the first place? Let the capturing part be done by the police or other law enforcement bodies. The best thing to do is gather intel or info about the criminal that could HELP the police. Then let them do their jobs afterwards. Is that hard to do? Do we need proper training on gathering info such as (color of the cloth, hair, face, car plate number, type of car, etc.)?

Lastly, if our country is in war, would u love to be normal people or be like me paranormal people or unnormal people?

“Jangan tanya apa yang negara patut atau boleh buat untuk anda, tapi tanyalah apa yang anda boleh buat untuk negara”

[quote=“nightwatch”]
By the way, give me a call when u r free … may be we can talk more on this SP :idea: let see. how we can assist each other in one way the other :wink:[/quote]

I think I know what are u thinking… :slight_smile: Ok let me gather some info on IPD Miri first.

[quote=“iqmedia”]

The best thing to do is gather intel or info about the criminal that could HELP the police. Then let them do their jobs afterwards. Is that hard to do? Do we need proper training on gathering info such as (color of the cloth, hair, face, car plate number, type of car, etc.)?"[/quote]

Guess if everyone does this… it will make them ( polices or enforcement troops ) easier to close out cases. 8)

Lastly, if our country is in war, would u love to be normal people or be like me paranormal people or unnormal people?

if me… i think normal people… and be with my families waiting for the boom to drop on our roof… :frowning: :wink:

Jangan tanya apa yang negara patut atau boleh buat untuk anda, tapi tanyalah apa yang anda boleh buat untuk negara

Very very true… wat did we do for the country… similar to * ppl don’t care what u know until they know what u care*

Country is one thing, but government is another. Constructive criticism of the government does not mean not loving the country - in fact it means the opposite. We all love our country. But I digress, that’s another matter entirely.

Same goes for the police force, surely, we do criticize them for a lot of things. In fact, there’s many things I have personally seen about the police that I don’t think any of us are proud of. Does it mean we hate these very people who are there to protect us? No way, but we really want to push for improvement on their behalf. What we can do on our part has its limits.

Ok, let’s use the recent Desa Seri Heist as an example. If the neighbors had seen these ‘supiscious’ people right before happening, what is the first thing they should do? Call the police right? But if anyone remembers, what happened to the police line?

So if that fails, (and have another person continously trying the numbers) do they go and stop the armed robbers (all five of them) by themselves? Even the neighbors outnumber them, the robbers outarm them. The best they can do in that situation is keep trying the phone and then hide in their houses and nothing bad happens to their victims. Not because they’re cowards, but the situation is out of their control.

Here’s another example, a more recent theft of electric cables in town near the fish market. It happened at about 2am, and someone did in fact see it, and called the police. And waited. And waited. And waited. Come 6am, oh, there they are! This news was reported in the local papers.

Now, let’s assess the situation in that area -

• Theft of power cables
  • Thieves unknown
  • Theives not known to be armed or not
  • Number of thieves also unknown
  • it’s dark outside, no cable, no power

Quite frankly, do you want to step outside? A real quick calculation shows that your life is probably not worth the cables being stolen.

Ian… valid points… but the truth is… we ( all of us… big numbers of ppl )… not only criticize the police force for their lack of … la. But we all do on all others gov dept as well like MCC, etc…

So for those who feel offensed when issue raised in your circle of concern… please don’t take it negatively la…but try to look for improvement… and show others tat we can do it.

[size=59]Gossip, criticizing, complain is part of the life circle… [/size] :wink:

[quote=“ian”]Country is one thing, but government is another. Constructive criticism of the government does not mean not loving the country - in fact it means the opposite. We all love our country. But I digress, that’s another matter entirely.

Same goes for the police force, surely, we do criticize them for a lot of things. In fact, there’s many things I have personally seen about the police that I don’t think any of us are proud of. Does it mean we hate these very people who are there to protect us? No way, but we really want to push for improvement on their behalf. What we can do on our part has its limits.[/quote] 8) I read that :wink:

[quote=“ian”]Ok, let’s use the recent Desa Seri Heist as an example … but the situation is out of their control.

Here’s another example … This news was reported in the local papers.

Quite frankly, do you want to step outside? A real quick calculation shows that your life is probably not worth the cables being stolen.[/quote]I am aware what you are saying on these issue, the respond fail in a way due to any reason. The point that i would like people to realize is that, we are really depending too much on Police or one way the other. We learn that the unit does not do well in some way YET … we still count on them!!!

Many people include myself doesnt really care in a way that when bad thing happened not on us … we will only try to fight back / defense when it is affected or to cost the danger of our life or to lose the property we have. Again, read from the news paper … the owner would fought back to save but other people would just call for assistance … worst, there are some people would just stand aside and watch!!!

Imaqine, if everybody TEAM UP and force the culprit to submit … we can actually in a way to get thing done instead of waiting for some one to assist that might get us “tall-wher” (in hokkien, pliz 8) ) later.

I am not siding on any party but merely just to point out that we civilian can do just as good to “assist” although we are not trained to do so :wink:

Peace … smiles