Difficult for Penan women to get legal redress

Difficult for Penan women to get legal redress

KUCHING: It will be difficult for Penan women deep in the interior of Baram to seek legal redress after they have been abandoned by timber loggers who married them according to their customs and traditions, a lawyer said yesterday.
“The so-called marriages are not registered with the registrar of marriages,” said Harrison Ngau.

“They are just marriages of convenience.”

He said registering marriages could also be a problem since many Penan women did not have legal documents such as birth certificates and identity cards.

He said many Penan women had come seeking advice after being abandoned by their husbands.
“There is nothing I can do, except say that they should have investigated the backgrounds of those they were about to marry.”

He said the village elders needed to be strict in these matters, or there would not be an end to the exploitation.

He said the problem with the Penans was they were too trusting.

He said he told the Penan elders that they must be wary of outsiders taking advantage of them.

“They are innocent people, and they think the loggers are good people,” he said, adding that local Sidang Injil Borneo (SIB) churches had been helping the Penan community.

According to Ngau, cases of “cowboy marriages” not only involved the Penan community, but also the Kelabit, Kenyah and Kayan communities in Baram.

“I have heard the Kelabits, Kenyahs and Kayans talk about women being left behind by men from logging areas.”

He added that these women were forced to take care of their children on their own, and some did not even know who their children’s father was.

Borneo Resources Institute of Malaysia (Brimas) project director Raymond Abin said there were cases of Penan women and girls being sexually assaulted by loggers in the deep interior of Baram.

“I have heard of such cases, but I do not know how widespread they are.”

He said Brimas, a non-governmental organisation (NGO) which had a close relationship with the Penan community, would go to the ground and gather evidence of sexual abuse by loggers on Penan women and girls.

He said Brimas wanted to verify allegations made by the Bruno Manser Fund (BMF), a Swiss-based non-governmental organisation, that loggers had harassed and raped Penan women and girls.

Abin said there was truth in BMF’s allegations.

“We need solid evidence to present cases of sexual abuses to the state government,” said deputy chief minister Tan Sri Alfred Jabu, who is in charge of Penan affairs,

Alfred had recently denied that sexual abuses had ever taken place

Abin said Brimas would report its findings to the Human Rights Commission of Malay-sia (Suhakam).

"We want Suhakam to conduct a public inquiry into the sexual abuse against Penan women and girls by loggers.

“The exploitation of the Penans has to be stopped once and for all.”

[b]On Jabu’s statement that the sexual abuses had never taken place, Abin said the minister should have met the Penan elders at a proper forum.

“From what I know, Jabu had met the community leaders from Baram where some of them spoke in praise of the government.”

He said he did not think that the community leaders would be brave enough to speak about sexual abuse at such a gathering.

Abin said Jabu should meet ordinary Penans and learn the truth behind the allegations.
[/b]
link:http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/National/2368240/Article/index_html

again,the society shuts one/both eyes???

interestingly, many of the timber companies owners are self-proclaimed christians - methodist, jil, and even some have family members in sib… i wonder where is the sense of justice… in the harm that’s directly or indirectly caused onto the sarawak natives…

sense of justice??? hmmmm… i think they left it at home… for show only!! If they are really caring christians… they would have done something about it instead of shutting both their eyes and ears!!!

Related news from The Star.

Tuesday October 7, 2008 MYT 1:38:35 PM

Deputy CM calls for full probe into Penan rape claims
By SHARON LING

KUCHING: Deputy Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr George Chan has called for a full investigation into claims of sexual abuse of Penan girls by timber workers.

This is a serious allegation and I hope that a complete investigation will be done to find out whats going on, he said on Tuesday.

He urged the media and the public not to speculate about the matter but to leave it to the police to investigate the matter thoroughly. He added that such allegations were bad for the countrys image and as such, it was important to get to the truth of the matter.

Our country must not be seen as a cowboy country where anything can happen. Whoever has done wrong things should be brought to justice.

But at the same time we should not speculate on things we are not sure of, he told reporters after launching the state Farmers Day logo at Menara Pelita here.

In an interview with The Star, several Penan schoolgirls from settlements in the Middle Baram area in northern Sarawak claimed they had been raped by timber workers.

The claims of sexual abuse were first exposed by local and foreign non-governmental organisations last month.

Sarawak Commissioner of Police Dep Comm Datuk Mohmad Salleh has been reported as saying that police were prepared to launch immediate investigations into the allegations. It is not known whether they have begun such investigations however.

Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Ng Yen Yen and the Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) have also said that the complaints would be investigated.

Note:
Now the bloody DCM is blaming the media and public of speculating the issue… they just can’t accept the truth or the truth is too hard to swallow.

itu pokok punya daun tarak goyang kalu tarak ada angin daa…
citt!
poooraaahhh!

faith by name,but dont practise…

how you know. i heard some of them go to church without fail every sunday. who are you to say they dont practice?

do i need to explain???
sigh…

[quote=“jul2305”]do i need to explain???
sigh…[/quote]

iboh ko layan nya ya. nya suka create factless debate. org sekda life. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

yup, self-righteousness is the root to most ignorance…

i really got tired reading this crap … every single incident in this country have probe an investigation with no result as it delays the respond, just to fulfill ppl’s need to know something is happening but actually its no … i wonder if i open a investigation company sucking government money with investigation cases that i don’t have to prove anything damn i should be damn rich …

[quote=“haroldz”]Difficult for Penan women to get legal redress

KUCHING: It will be difficult for Penan women deep in the interior of Baram to seek legal redress after they have been abandoned by timber loggers who married them according to their customs and traditions, a lawyer said yesterday.
“The so-called marriages are not registered with the registrar of marriages,” said Harrison Ngau.

a copy of marriage registration is not the only document that can prove the existence of marriage. affidavits of 2 disinterested witnesses would be sufficient to prove that a marriage was indeed contracted. marriage solemnized in accordance with peoples customs and traditions are validly recognized by law. Because customs and traditions are also sources of law. so non-Registration of marriage would never invalidate the marriage itself.

so penan women may petition the court for support of the loggers’ children

“We need solid evidence to present cases of sexual abuses to the state government,” said deputy chief minister Tan Sri Alfred Jabu, who is in charge of Penan affairs,

Alfred had recently denied that sexual abuses had ever taken place

what solid evidence that he is looking for? let those victims execute complaint-affidavits charging the offenders of the crime of rape. in general, no woman would put her honor and shame under public scrutiny if the crime committed against her is untrue. with the modesty of penan women and their station in life, their testimonies must be accorded with respect and greater probative value for the prosecution of the case.

justice chooses no race, tribe, religion etc, but it must be afforded to all victims who cry of it. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

merely my opinion

good day miricom

What the hell is happening? :roll: Do we need other country’s NGO’s to remained us of what is hapening to out extended Brother’s and Sister’s and even our children in Baram our own back yard? I for want am thankfull for what SIB church people is doing. May God bless them. May not be expecting much help from our uncle.

[quote=“haroldz”]He said the problem with the Penans was they were too trusting.

He said he told the Penan elders that they must be wary of outsiders taking advantage of them.

“They are innocent people, and they think the loggers are good people,”[/quote]

Somebody has to look into their predicament and that somebody should be none other then they themselves. If they themselves did not fight for their own right, nobody else will fight for them. The issue will still be an issue. Unless our friend Stupidhead are willing to talk on behalf of them.

Media and NGO are there just to address the issue and raise questions. They don’t provide answers.

This is the leader that they chose to represent them. So, no point complaining.

In this particular case, why need to bring in religion? and what have the owners of the timber companies got to do directly with the case? Did they committed the acts themselves? How many companies in Sarawak do you think is able to be in total control of their employees? Not to mention companies, some parent can’t even control their own children, I’m one of them.

I would agree if those owners would consider doing their part in assisting the police to investigate the case without any prejudice. Sadly, in this case, none of them has voice up.

[quote=“baham”]justice chooses no race, tribe, religion etc, but it must be afforded to all victims who cry of it.
merely my opinion[/quote]

you made it sound as if justice is a concious entity… unfortunately, it’s not.
to be fair, it’s an ideal that some of our judges still seem to adhere to, but the enforcers have rather poor track record, not so much in being blind to race & religion, but definitely in terms of cowing to the power that be, in selective enforcement and application of the laws, and denial of protections to the disenfranchised, disadvantaged, and marginalised minorities…
race and religion is not really the problem, the problem is abuse of power

In this particular case, why need to bring in religion? and what have the owners of the timber companies got to do directly with the case? Did they committed the acts themselves? How many companies in Sarawak do you think is able to be in total control of their employees? Not to mention companies, some parent can’t even control their own children, I’m one of them.
I would agree if those owners would consider doing their part in assisting the police to investigate the case without any prejudice. Sadly, in this case, none of them has voice up.[/quote]

this is the typical lousy, pathetic excuse that our 3rd world corporations like to use. this is clear indication of a lack of corporate responsibility and poor business ethics. if fact, it’s more than that, if criminal ativities are/were carried out on/using company properties - e.g. vehicles, i have a strong suspicion that a fair judge will not look too kindly on a corporation that says: what my employees do is not my business.

what happens in a company reflects the value system of the company, the values of the company reflects the value system of the top management/leader, which reflect the belief system or principles that the leader(s) of the company live by. are you suggesting that top managers and leader of a company can live a life in business that is independant of his personal life, including his religious belief?

we obviously have a long way to go before we break out of our 3rd world mentality…

You know what, I would vote for you to be our next PM. Please register yourself as independent candidate k. :smiley:

i’m not qualified to become pm in malaysia. i’m a cinaman

hahahahahahahaha …

screw it lah stupidhead … we make our money and get out of the hell hole … hahahaha