Decorative lights a hazard

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/10/16/nation/15726329&sec=nation

Monday October 16, 2006

Decorative lights a hazard

PENANG: Decorative lights used during festive seasons are dangerous as they can cause electrocution and electric shocks.

Consumers Association of Penang (CAP) president S.M. Mohamed Idris said the lights, which were enjoying brisk sales nationwide due to the coming festive seasons, could also be a fire hazard.

He said checks by CAP officials revealed that the lights were fitted with unapproved two-pin plug holders, and low quality wires which could easily be pulled out of the plugs and light sockets.

Furthermore, the products do not state that the lights have been independently tested.

Mohamed Idris called on the authorities to investigate the sale of these lights.