DAP launches Anti-Fuel Hike Campaign

Source: http://www.sun2surf.com/article.cfm?id=14182

DAP launches Anti-Fuel Hike Campaign
Llew-Ann Phang and Kathleen Tan

KUALA LUMPUR: The DAP is now exploiting the fuel hike issue to the hilt after benefiting from it in the just-concluded Sarawak election.

This was why the party today (May 22, 2006) launched its Anti-Fuel Hike Campaign, as an offshoot from its Sarawak election campaign which landed the party six seats, an unpreceded performance.

Its wins were at the expense of the Sarawak United People’s Party, headed by Tan Sri Dr George Chan.

DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng told a press conference in the Cheras DAP Centre that Sarawakian voters were influenced by the main issue of economy.

With him were members of parliament Tan Kok Wai (Cheras), Teresa Kok (Seputeh) and Fong Kui Lun (Bukit Bintang).

DAP distributed election leaflets listing eight reasons for its fuel hike protests and Lim said this proved successful in Sarawak as it was relevant to the Malaysian society.

"We want to know if the government approves of the principle for Petronas’ profits - amounting to RM34.5 billion in 2005 and expected to reach RM40 billion this year - to be distributed to the people, especially the needy.

“Once this principle is agreed upon, the mechanism for distributing the monies to those who need it will fall in place,” Lim said.

Referring to the 2004 statistics in the 9th Malaysia Plan (9MP), Lim said the mean monthly household income for Kuala Lumpur is RM5,011 while that for a Malaysian home is RM3,249.

“The distribution of profits can go towards topping-up’ or a reload’ to make up for the difference because at least 50% of those in KL do not earn that much.”

Quoting a Chinese proverb, “abundance is to be enjoyed by all but in hardship, the burden should be equally borne”, Lim accused the Barisan Nasional of not practising this.

“Therefore, we feel the economy issue is not just felt by the Sarawakians but is relevant to all,” he said.

DAP won six out of 12 seats it contested but lost by a narrow margin in three seats in the Sarawak election.

Updated: 06:51PM Mon, 22 May 2006

i would really love to know where (or whose pocket) has all the profits from Petronas gone too :evil:

We got BILLIONS from oil and woods alone as natural resources revenues… Yet our living costs are getting increased on a daily basis… Some people got to realized not all people sleep on a bed of roses nor have a full exclusivity of a golden golf club memberships…

I am hungry… Could you spare me a dollar or two from those BILLIONS ringgit revenues, will ya buddy? He… he… he…

Just my 5 cents… he… he… he… I would love to know where does the BILLIONS goes … :smiley:

Quoting a Chinese proverb, “abundance is to be enjoyed by all but in hardship, the burden should be equally borne”, Lim accused the Barisan Nasional of not practising this.

Fuel price hikes are one thing, but what they REALLY screwed up are with the diesel shortages!

Price fuel hike i can feel the heat now… used to be 20 a week fuel spending now 50… on a Kenari… :cry: