Damage to submarine cables, slow surfing for Malaysians

Published: Thursday August 13, 2009 MYT 8:11:00 PM
Updated: Thursday August 13, 2009 MYT 8:19:11 PM
Damage to submarine cables, slow surfing for Malaysians
By JO TIMBUONG

intech@thestar.com.my

PETALING JAYA: Internet users in Malaysia may have trouble surfing websites hosted in the United States and Taiwan for the next couple of weeks due to damage to a submarine cable system.

Internet service provider TM said there would be slow connectivity after the Asia-Pacific Cable Network 2 (APCN2) submarine cable system was damaged by unknown causes.

The ISP has posted an alert on its website (http://www.tm.com.my) informing users of this, a company spokesman said.

The damage was first discovered in July. Internet connectivity was supposed to return to normal by Aug 16.

However, TM discovered two more faults which occurred on Aug 6 and Aug 12.

The last damage was detected near Taiwan but the cause has still not been ascertained.

Our technicians are on the job and we are waiting for confirmation on what caused the damage to the APCN2 system, said the spokesman, adding that a full recovery of Internet services will now be delayed.

The company was also unable to confirm whether the damage was caused by Typhoon Morakot, which swept over Taiwan and caused Internet users in Singapore to experience a slowdown.

The Straits Times reported that the typhoon, which caused the worst flooding in Taiwan in 50 years, damaged the APCN2 system and made it difficult for Internet users in the island republic to connect to websites hosted in the United States and Taiwan.

The last time users here experienced a major slowdown in Internet services was when the same cable was damaged by an earthquake in December 2006.

even when its fixed its still slow

no wonder my internet speed is dang crappy today :S

hmm… mine seems to be okay… normally early morning around 6 its fast…

From Streamyx Website.

Referring to our earlier statement on 21 July 2009 on the disruption of our Internet services due to circuit faults on the Asia Pacific Cable Network 2 (APCN2) Segment 1 between Kuantan and Katong, Singapore, Telekom Malaysia Berhad ™ wishes to announce that there is a delay in the restoration of Internet services due to technical problems at the repairing stages.

In addition, our consortium members have also detected another fault on the same circuit about 372km from Kuantan Cable Station.

Customers using Internet services may continue to experience slow browsing while accessing websites hosted in the US and Hong Kong. In addition, customers using other IP services such as Virtual Private Network (VPN) and other critical business applications linked to the US and Hong Kong may still experience some service degradation. To alleviate the problem, some of the links have been directed to alternate routes to ease the congestion.

Restoration works on the affected cables are already in progress. However, in the restoration process, traffic to Northern America and Hong Kong may experience degradation while traffic to other countries is not affected.

Due to this, full recovery of Internet services is now expected to be on 16 August 2009. TM will make further announcements on the progress of the restoration works.

TM wishes to assure its customers that it is undertaking all necessary measures to restore communications services for its customers as soon as possible.
Customers can call TM at 100 and select Internet Services or e-mail us at help@tm.com.my for any Internet related problems.

Thank You.

should change to new cable…those cable is under the sea for century already…but for alternative…can use proxy site to use other country line to connect…

in the office can access but back in tmn bumiko cannot laa…

no wonder my internet slow like cacing… for some website even youtube.com

yeah i noticed the slow speed and some pages cannot accesed… :frowning:

need upgrade all cable liao lar… too old liao…and too little cable…internet user are increasing …although fiber optic cable very fast but too many load already…

The speed to las vegas … http://www.speedtest.net/result/539898459.png

Test to Los angelas taking very long and the result is http://www.speedtest.net/result/539906518.png

Apu always rosak one the cable… :evil: :evil:

no rosak=slow. rosak=slow.

Haiz no wonder I always lag when gaming la…Bad TMNUT :evil: :mrgreen:

Screamyx! Scream scream scream! sien la no maintanance of coz rosak la

don use cabel… BUT use wireless a.k.a SATELITE 8)