DAM lends helping hand to Sungai Lutong Bawah longhouse fire victims

Kiyai (sixth left) accepts the donation from Wilfred.

Kiyai (sixth left) accepts the donation from Wilfred.

MIRI: Committee members of the Dayak Association Miri (DAM) recently visited the residents of the 18-door longhouse in Sungai Lutong Bawah, Bakong, which was razed by fire in the early morning of Feb 24.

The incident left all 120 of them homeless.

Longhouse chieftain Kiyai Kiaw said all their belongings, including important documents and relics, went up in smoke on that fateful day.

The DAM team, led by their deputy president Wilfred Mac, also handed over some donations to the victims.

“We are sad to hear about their misfortune and we hope that this little gesture by DAM would help meet their immediate needs,” said Wilfred, who was assisted by DAM Youth chief Rabi Impen and DAM Women chairperson Jacqueline Selaka Mawar in the programme.

In response, Kiyai thanked DAM members for their initiative and willingness to travel for one hour from the city and meet them.

“I’m touched on the gesture — my appreciation and gratitude to all those who have helped us in one way or another,” the longhouse chief said.

LikeTweet

Source: http://miri.my/2016/03/01/dam-lends-helping-hand-to-sungai-lutong-bawah-longhouse-fire-victims/