Custom clearance and import duty for online purchase?

Hi,
I am just curious as to how is the procedures for oversea online purchased item and deliver to Malaysia via express? For example, I plan to buy a camera from the USA and payment made. Upon reaching Malaysia, will I have to pay for import duty on the camera that I bought?

Just need some advise from those who always do online shopping.

Thanks…Kooks

You pay for the unit and shipping. Once reach malaysia, the item might get tax and need to pay before custom release your item. You can ask malaysia customs for import duty rate on camera.

My impression is that camera no tax but but I could b wrong.

Buying stuff from overseas better to using EMs courier (express mail) or equivalent - a service with tracking. Sometimes, especially with high value items, somehow lost in transition if you do not have tracking.

Regards,
Joe Ling

For personal use that mean 1 unit of each, dslr camera and lens no tax. Tripod and bag got tax. But if the bag got put camera inside then no tax.

sounds funny.supporting item got tax meanwhile the main thing no tax…and 1 set inside bag no tax.why such rule are even exist…

Anything of value above RM 500 will be taxed.

If not mistaken you will need to pay for the import permit as well. But i am not sure how to do that.

sounds funny.supporting item got tax meanwhile the main thing no tax…and 1 set inside bag no tax.why such rule are even exist…[/quote]

Belief it or not but that’s what exactly happened to me what I went to pick up my tripod and bag which I ordered from Korea.

if via EMS - Pos Laju will deleiver to u nce in malaysia…and they will definitely tax you…try other courier service…i.e Aramex- Nationwide express…so far when i ordered item from oversea via aramex no tax…but when i ordered via EMS ALWYAS kena tahan at custom posl aju one… :evil:

does that mean say if the seller post to me using say DHL or any other express provider, and it should reach my home directly?

do I need to do anything like custom declaration? it seems complicated especially when after you pay more than thousand of ringgit and the thing got stucked at our custom office in KLIA.

I cant guaranteed 100%…this is based on my experience…maybe also based on what item u order…
I once ordered items worth Rm2k plus …and pos via citilink…it reach my home no problem…then i ordered same item less than RM500 via EMS (Pos Laju) and guess what…kena tahan kastam at pos laju office there…kena tax RM55…

what if i ordered something by “SAL”?
i remembered that they can deliver the item ,reach to my place even though there’s no track number when using “SAL”
but dunno why this year, the items i ordered delayed for like a month in a halve already :?

i heard that the customs are very strict with overseas purchase nowadays. guess i better think twice abt my purchase.

holy crap. i just made a purchase online == pls go through ok…

i order and receive my item (headphones) with no tax. at USD198,60…more than RM500…

[quote=“Ryunaruto”]what if i ordered something by “SAL”?
i remembered that they can deliver the item ,reach to my place even though there’s no track number when using “SAL”
but dunno why this year, the items i ordered delayed for like a month in a halve already :?[/quote]
what is SAL?

SAL is a postal service provider/company

if order handphone, no tax but need sirim permit

one permit can use to order 3 set, the fee is rm100 (import permit)

after it got cleared (take 2-3 days), print the permit to claim ur handphone at pos malaysia

sometime if u dun do ur research well on custom tax, the taxes plus the item price could be higher than local price

wonder will pos laju send a letter about the item arrival…cause mostly if no body at home, they will send a letter to our mail box to let us and go collect it later…

waiting for my another items to arrive by “SAL”

hope it arrive in time or else…complain