Crocodile takes man in front of nephew

Source: http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=18537

Sunday, May 13th, 2007

Crocodile takes man in front of nephew
By Patrick Joseph

BINTULU: A 31-year-old plantation driver, Sangga Megong, disappeared while fishing in Sungai Maba at a spot some 69 kilometres from here about 6.45pm last Friday.

http://www.theborneopost.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/00001910.jpg
SEARCH IN PROGRESS: Police search for Sangga in Sungai Maba

A crocodile took my uncle right before my eyes, cried his 14-year-old nephew, identified only as Nicholas.

Uncle and nephew from Rumah Banggau, Mile 35.5 Jalan Bintulu-Miri went in a car to the river. About 6pm Sangga parked his car near Sungai Maba Bridge and they continued on foot.

Then about 6.30pm they decided to stop fishing because it was high tide. However, they could not just leave because Sanggas fishing net got stuck in the water.

My uncle told me to wait on the river bank then ducked under water to check the net, Nicholas said yesterday. Shortly after that I noticed that he had some difficulty getting out of the water. It was as if his legs were being pulled by something in the water.

When he was about to get into the water to help his uncle, he saw a crocodiles head which he claimed to be as big as a 16-inch television set.

He panicked when he realised that the crocodile was pulling his uncle down.

I could not do anything because I was so fearful. After my uncle disappeared went under and didnt resurface, I lost my mind and ran back to the car.

Eventually he decided to drive his uncles car back to the longhouse to bring the bad news.

About 8pm the villages formed a search party and went to look for Sangga. It was futile because they were not well-equipped to operate in the river in the dark.

The villagers knew there are crocodiles in the river, but there also a lot of fish. So the temptation to try their luck and tempt fate is great, sometimes with dire consequences.

It was our third fishing trip there, said Nicholas, who still trembled which he recalled how his uncle met his end.

The search for Sangga now involves the marine police, regular police, fire and rescue department personnel, and Sarawak Forestry officials.

My uncle told me to wait on the river bank then ducked under water to check the net, Nicholas said yesterday. Shortly after that I noticed that he had some difficulty getting out of the water. It was as if his legs were being pulled by something in the water.

Plus…

The villagers knew there are crocodiles in the river, but there also a lot of fish. So the temptation to try their luck and tempt fate is great, sometimes with dire consequences.

Big mistake for entering the water and knowing there are crocs in the river… :frowning:

temptation of easy catch of fish more greater than danger of eaten by crocs.

recently so many crocs attack in sarawak la…what happened arr…?

no more food /fish in the river???

so angler…stop fishing…start to eat fish from sea hehehhe

:wink:

probably due to the decrease in the rivers economy, Hell…Humans are doing that too now by robbing ppl and killing them…