Chemical Engineer Internship

Hi.

I urgently need to confirm my internship (Chemical Engineering) for next year May. I tried and sent my resume to those common companies that students usually apply. Dayang, Nippon Oil, MMC, Halliburton etc. But I get either an automated reply or no reply. Depressed. Can anyone suggest other companies in Miri that provide internship? preferably oil and gas.

Thx thx…

You can sent your detailed to my email

Apply for internship at Petronas Carigali.But make sure u tell them to attach at MCOT not main building of Petronas Carigali…n Always call them to ask the some update :slight_smile:

haha…it’s like that…i apply for mine 1 year in advance to all of the company u listed…u forgot petra & sarku…i did mine at petra. They reply to me only after 6 months i sent my request(long eh?)

but most of my friends said Petronas only offer the opportunity to Bumiputera. isn’t it true?? =)

wow, 1 year in advance… i was told that application half a year in advance is enough. that’s why i only started mine now… i cant get the letter from uni, some of the companies like petra need it… guess it might be too late after i get the letter… sarku has no contract in hand now…

i had sent my details to your email… thx thx… :slight_smile:

How about Mechanical Engineering ? I am currently year 2 mechanical engineering student and would like to do internship during June- Sept 2011.

any other suggested companies that take trainee? =)

hi, i did my intern in SOPB (Sarawak Oil Palm Berhad). they can give immediate reply to you.
though its not really an oil & gas company, you will get to learn more on waste water treatment…

[quote=“huijiun”]hi, i did my intern in SOPB (Sarawak Oil Palm Berhad). they can give immediate reply to you.
though its not really an oil & gas company, you will get to learn more on waste water treatment…[/quote]

thx for your info… I sent them my application last month… still waiting for their reply… btw, where did they place you??

there’s shipping companies too… not directly O&G, but not far from it (Ajang shipping, Woodman, Shin Yang, Berjaya, Nam Cheong)… there’s oso Daiken, Laku (no allowance), other M&E companies too… of course, the M&E companies have very limited chances for chemical students

i heard this year sopb doesnt provide internship for chemical engineering… it’s better u call companies b4 u send in ur resume…

I’ve tried some of those companies you mentioned… thx thx…

Yea, i did that before sending in my resume… Is this true?? I called them, the staff said application is still under consideration…

i also not sure… i heard it from my friend…hmm… quite hard to find companies who want chemical…

it’s ok… just keep waiting… patience is the key, maybe… lol…

bump

[quote=“homaniacs”][quote=“huijiun”]hi, i did my intern in SOPB (Sarawak Oil Palm Berhad). they can give immediate reply to you.
though its not really an oil & gas company, you will get to learn more on waste water treatment…[/quote]

thx for your info… I sent them my application last month… still waiting for their reply… btw, where did they place you??[/quote]

hi, sorry for late reply. i just got to see this post. i think the notification were sent to my spam mailbox and got deleted. luckily today i checked my spam mailbox and got your PM. but i cant reply your PM i dunno why, maybe because i m still new here. so i will just reply here…

i am a MEng graduate in Chemical Engineering, currently taking PhD in wastewater water treatment. i did my intern in 2007, and my other friend did in 2006. it was quite a rush when i applied my internship in SOPB. i got it and the next day i head down to the mill. :stuck_out_tongue: because it was too rush, so the supervisor did not really plan and prepare for my internship, and they are busy traveling to new mill at that time, but things going smoothly as time goes on. and i can tell you, the people there are really really nice!! :slight_smile:

for your info, SOPB has a few mills scattered in sarawak, the nearest is in lambir, the largest capacity mill with the most advance technology, the others are galasah and balingian, not sure if they have any new mill. i went to galasah (between Miri-Bintulu) as the intern position in lambir was full. i have to drive 1-1.5hour to get there, so normally i stayed in galasah, only go back miri during weekends to stock up my groceries. they provide free accommodation and utilities to every staff there. the electricity is generated by the factory (self-sustained). although it is quite far from miri, but you learn to be independant, normally we cooked our own meal, as the nearest makan stall (where people normally stopby when they travel Miri-Bintulu by car/bus) is 15 mins away from the mill. sometimes, i even follow my frens to pick vege/mushrooms from the jungle. nice experience! haha. and sometimes i went to watch them play football in the evening. :slight_smile:

well, sometime i spent my time in lab examine the oil quality, calculate the oil losses, milling efficiency etc… and during that time, galasah mill has problem with their wastewater and they have come out with a new wastewater water plant but i think it failed at the end. thats why i learned alot about wastewater treatment that time. FYI, it is crucial and challenging to treat palm oil mill effluent (POME) as it is hard to comply the BOD standard set by the government. thus, there are many researches developed on treating POME (you can google to find it out). my current supervisor involve actively in this treatment technology and i can see there is alot potential in this development. thus, it might be beneficial for you to do intern here if you are interested in this field. other than that, i also learn about processing the oil palm into crude palm oil, mostly mechanical knowledge, glad that i get to learn something else apart from chem eng. there were 3 engineers in galasah: 2 mill manager and a mill engineer, some are from chemical and some are from mechanical background. maybe you can learn more in lambir plant as there are more advance technology.

i dont think it is risky to work here, but it is fun! though sometime it is smelly and slippery in the factory. i nvr heard of any university personal insurance. but i did submit a university letter stating that my uni request me to do internship during the summer holiday.

it is important that you choose the thing you are interested in and go for it. hope you get into the field you like and get a good experience. good luck!

by the way, if you need more info, you can PM me your email address and i will reply to your email address. :slight_smile:

hey guys. can someone locate the location of new lambir palm oil mill using http://wikimapia.org/#lat=4.203216&lon= … rch=lambir . i jsut need raw location since im not from miri and not familiar with miri bintulu road. i tried search using google map but maybe they still not updating sarawak. is it near to bukit lambir ?