Certificate Program for Safety and Health Officer?!?

[b]I heard ppl said that attending the One month course - Certificate Program for Safety and Health Officer then can work as the OSH officer, ist that true?

How is the field working as OSH officer? For someone who has passed the Certificate Program for Safety and Health Officer, what will be his/her job opportunity?
How the salary?

Thank… :slight_smile: [/b]

please join miri hosted free classified at http://www.4everfairy.com/ads

by attending the course is not good enough to gain a good pay. at least you have 3 years experience to earn basic rm3.5 or rm4k per month.
work scope depending on which field are you involved in. offshore or onshore (probably work with Oil & Gas Company). you must have self confident and have a good leadership skills…

if you finish your course (1 month) with NIOSH, you can get a job as safety officer as well, but… low starting… after 1 year or more, you can resign from that company and apply with better company and demand for better pay than before bcoz you already had OSH cert & Experience… “Safety Officer” is valuable in “Market”… means… good opportuniy … as long you are independent and “work smart”… mana ada easy money right?? then, after you have your 3 years working experience as safety officer, you can register with DOSH for safety officer… if you do… your value is more higher… but, of course you have to pass your 4 paper exam…

after certain of year… you can easily earn basic salary rm7k or more… and apply for HSE COORDINATOR… or HSE ADVISOR which you can earn rm10k +++ in future !!..

good luck !!! :slight_smile:

this is SO REPETITIVE la…

search for similar thread, u’ll know ur answer…

dun listen to NIOSH or the training provider, they wan2 sell u the course

last time NIOSH kuching said “take this course, senang cari keja cos safety officer mmg byk kosong n required by law”…

actually if u passed the examz baru senang cari keja

it is hard work… not to say dont listen to this or that…

my point of view is, if you really have good education background (diploma & degree) in other field, plus working experience, and plus this safety programme, of course you can easily earning good income… JOB won’t come to get you. its you to find the opportunity …

BE SMART

Agree with you szry…to get the cert in safety is no big deal. No matter which level you complete. But to secure a good pay cheque isn’t easy as it is all hard work. 99% of companies looking for safety officers include additional clauses in their adverts such as with at least 2-3 years working xperience…bla…bla…bla…The only places with good pay cheque as safety officer is in the Oil & Gas inductry. But the effort to secure a job in this line needs patience like what szry mentioned. Need to start from scratch to reach your goal. Safety is all about common sense!! Good luck…

[quote=“hsc_j”][b]I heard ppl said that attending the One month course - Certificate Program for Safety and Health Officer then can work as the OSH officer, ist that true?

How is the field working as OSH officer? For someone who has passed the Certificate Program for Safety and Health Officer, what will be his/her job opportunity?
How the salary?

Thank… :slight_smile: [/b][/quote]

Hi bro…for more info you may visit my blog at http://www.hse4hire.blogspot.com

nice thread here for those who want to involve in HSE

Just to share what I know and what I had said in other thread. To be a registered SHO in Malaysia the following will be the step.

People without HSE Working experience.

Option 1.
Take the SHO course in NIOSH. Then sit for the 4 exams paper and pass all 4 papers ( got to do it within 2 years from the moment you took the first paper exam). Then work as a HSE practitioner for a minimum of 3 years. After that, you will be able to register with DOSH as a Registered SHO in Malaysia and you will be a value asset within the country in the HSE field.

Option 2.

Take the SHO Course in NIOSH, go find a job as a HSE practitioner or HSE assistant and gain your 3 years experience. Once you have the experience, then go for the 4 paper exams. Once pass all 4 paper exams, register yourself with DOSH and be a register SHO office in Malaysia.

Option 3

If you are currently work related with HSE and have being working for more than 3 years, simply just go for the SHO course and sit for the 4 exam papers. Once pass all exam papers, go register yourself with DOSH and be a Registered SHO Officer in Malaysia.

Another way.
if you have more than 10 years experience in HSE, you can try apply for a registered SHO in Malaysia without having to go through the course and exams. You will just need to do an interview with DOSH officer to test your knowledge. If the DOSH officers feel that you are more than capable, then they will pass you and register you. If they feel that you are not as good as they feel, then you will have to go for Option 3 as I mentioned above.

Regarding Salary on how much a SHO officer could make, I would not want to comment about it because different field is paying different rates but what I would say like others, Oil and Gas will fork out the highest pay for SHO if comparing with other industries.

it really good info for those who likw to join HSE department

[quote=“Smallee”]Just to share what I know and what I had said in other thread. To be a registered SHO in Malaysia the following will be the step.

Option 1.
Take the SHO course in NIOSH. Then sit for the 4 exams paper and pass all 4 papers ( got to do it within 2 years from the moment you took the first paper exam). Then work as a HSE practitioner for a minimum of 3 years. After that, you will be able to register with DOSH as a Registered SHO in Malaysia and you will be a value asset within the country in the HSE field.

Option 2.

Take the SHO Course in NIOSH, go find a job as a HSE practitioner or HSE assistant and gain your 3 years experience. Once you have the experience, then go for the 4 paper exams. Once pass all 4 paper exams, register yourself with DOSH and be a register SHO office in Malaysia.

Option 3

If you are currently work related with HSE and have being working for more than 3 years, simply just go for the SHO course and sit for the 4 exam papers. Once pass all exam papers, go register yourself with DOSH and be a Registered SHO Officer in Malaysia.

Another way.
if you have more than 10 years experience in HSE, you can try apply for a registered SHO in Malaysia without having to go through the course and exams. You will just need to do an interview with DOSH officer to test your knowledge. If the DOSH officers feel that you are more than capable, then they will pass you and register you. If they feel that you are not as good as they feel, then you will have to go for Option 3 as I mentioned above.

Regarding Salary on how much a SHO officer could make, I would not want to comment about it because different field is paying different rates but what I would say like others, Oil and Gas will fork out the highest pay for SHO if comparing with other industries.[/quote]

wanna ask, does it means without HSE experience at all, i don’t need to study diploma in OHS? All i need is NIOSH and some certs and experiences to get to be HSE job?

Very SIMPLE, hse needs lot of field working experience. if u r certified then u might get the job as offshore SHO then u get good pay.
For those who just only pass exam without any field working experience, office base safety coordinator will take you with low pay,