Car Project : Reconditioning & Upgrade Proton Saga 1986

I plan to refurbish and upgrade my old car, a Proton Saga 1986 into a rally sport standard given our road condition here in Sarawak which is bumpy and you know… bad.

The car is not in a very tip top condition now.
Will post about the diagnosis tomorrow and update this thread as the progress goes by to serves as my motivation and so.
It will be personal project of me with a good friend of mine.
But I think since we do it in our free time, and financial limitation, my target is around 6 months to 12 months.

Hope I can make it. :smiley:

My planned phase.

1. Diagnosing.
2. Engine.
3. Body work & paint job.
4. Sport kit.

This is the first time and I am not a mechanic or a car expert.
I will rely heavily on our respected Uncle Google and my friend who is majoring in automotive sector.

Wish me luck guys.

i think you better go buy a new car, Axia now very cheap.

The last time i restored my old Proton Wira, it didn’t go so well…and not very cheap too.

Problems pop up once in a while…cost me money here and there.

So i sold it and go for new car, got warranty 5 years nothing to worried about.

Comfortable and runs more economic on fuel.

If it is your hobby to do so… go ahead…personally, restoring a proton saga is not a difficult task.
I am too restoring a 1967 old junk …

yeap , go ahead. i like the old saga with steel bumper and would like to own one too! =P the best thing about restoring Proton is that you can buy almost everything new including the door card. i’m currently restoring 78’ Corolla Hardtop. Also be sure to open your rear seat and check around the wheel well/absorber area, saga tends to have cracks around there. good luck on your restoration!

@gtsw20
lawrence here, i saw your ke10 still at the old place!

@toxicsubstance … already throw to scrap metal field :mrgreen:

Athrun_zala_faith said:
i think you better go buy a new car, Axia now very cheap.

The last time i restored my old Proton Wira, it didn't go so well....and not very cheap too.

Problems pop up once in a while...cost me money here and there.

So i sold it and go for new car, got warranty 5 years nothing to worried about.

Comfortable and runs more economic on fuel.
It's more about "doing it" as a "leisure" time only.
Maybe plan to spend less than RM10K.

GTSW20 said:
If it is your hobby to do so.. go ahead..personally, restoring a proton saga is not a difficult task.
I am too restoring a 1967 old junk ....
1967!
What car is that?

My planning for the car is to revive it but as well upgrade to the latest compatible technology for it.
I've upgrade it to power steering and sport exhaust system before.
My engine still run smooth like new engine, though plan to overhaul it anyway soon.

toxicsubstance said:
yeap , go ahead. i like the old saga with steel bumper and would like to own one too! =P the best thing about restoring Proton is that you can buy almost everything new including the door card. i'm currently restoring 78' Corolla Hardtop. Also be sure to open your rear seat and check around the wheel well/absorber area, saga tends to have cracks around there. good luck on your restoration!

@gtsw20
lawrence here, i saw your ke10 still at the old place!
Yeah, I got advice to change the whole "Y" shaped rear wheel arm.
And that steel bumper have saved me in three accidents where the other newer car face serious dent and break on the spot while the Proton just a paint scratch.

And are you talking about the Toyota Landcruiser Hardtop?
Wow, that's hard to find spare parts now don't they?
That's my dad fav car.

@wgn_white Corolla KE35/TE37