Calling the geologist to comment

http://uchukeling.com/blog/photo/miri/sinkingroad-01.jpg

Any idea on how to solve this sinking road?

I see that another mega project about to start :lol:

i think there is a leaked underground pipe or there is underground water tht caused the soil to sink in

Sinkholes are very common in Kinta Valley (Ipoh & areas surrounding it) because the whole area is underlain by limestone. As a result of differential dissolution of the limestone by water, sinkhole appears.

I believe this picture is somewhere in Miri, which is underlain by sandstone, thus no dissolution by water. However, if there is an existing natural drainage pathway at that location, underground erosion can happen, which results in sinkholes.

Of course if the problem is man-made (leaking underground pipes), the solution is no other than fixing the leak. But, if it is not, the natural underground drainage pattern needs to be studied. The drainage and irrigation department might be able to provide topographic map of the area as well as the drainage map.

In summary, a proper study needs to be carried out to fix the problem and until then short term solution by patching up the road section experiencing subsidence would be the best approach

Make a new route and destroy the old one… - problem solve

Make a new route and destroy the old one… - problem solve

No, smallee … no matter how many new routes you make, if the root problem is not being tackled … the problem will never be solved.

Goldylocks has given some good insights and she seems to know what she’s talking about. I think she is a geologist … :shock:

So, Uchu, Goldylocks answered you …

The authorities concern should do something once and for all. When???

Ya lor… they should pay TPK a bit more $$ and he will for sure help us to settle the problem…since he is just doing the project near by…

This year along, I think the City Hall have done three minor repair works there. I wonder how much have been spent?

if not do like that how they claim money out to do maintainance ley. :slight_smile:

A lot of money is spent to rectify the problem but somehow it kept on haunting us with that humungous sinkhole. It gets worse as day passes. For those who travel along that route will know. Almost everyone avoid that lane when approaching that sink hole.

I wonder if Pak Lah noticed anything when his entourage suddenly veered to the right and back to the middle avoiding that? :slight_smile:

pak lah drive good car where can felt those sink road ley…

just drill a hole to find out what is the problem.
:smiley:

if too expensive…just use a roller to compact it till it won’t sink anymore

I think the car make him too comfortable until he fall asleep… and did not feel the bumpy section… :roll:

I think the car make him too comfortable until he fall asleep… and did not feel the bumpy section… :roll:[/quote]

ya u r right smallee, coolman raise both hand n both leg to agree it. :slight_smile: