Call for MACC to investigate

(The Star) #1

MIRI: Telang Usan assemblyman Dennis Ngau wants a thorough probe into claims that RM1.25bil was spent on solar projects for 369 rural Sarawak schools.

Ngau, from Parti Pesaka Bumiputra Bersatu, said he was shocked by the claims by the Sarawak Report.

“Telang Usan is one of the most remote constituencies in the state and country, with many rural primary and secondary schools.

“I am shocked to hear of the claims by online portal Sarawak Report that former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak’s administration spent RM1.25bil on solar projects for the 369 rural schools in this state.

“Since Telang Usan has dozens of rural schools, I want to know how much money was allotted to Telang Usan schools for such solar projects,” he said, adding that solar projects for schools do not usually come up to such an amount.

He called on Sarawak Report to provide more details and name the schools involved.

“The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission must go to every school there and carry out an audit.

“This latest allegation is serious and we locals want to know more,” he told StarMetro Sabah & Sarawak when interviewed.

Sarawak Report claimed that Najib inked the RM1.25bil deal and a private Bintulu company received the deal from Najib.

Subsequently, MACC Putrajaya issued a statement saying it would look into the allegations.

Ngau, who is from Long Bedian, said it did not make sense spending RM1.25bil on the solar project for rural schools.

The costs cannot be so high, he stressed.

Ngau said so far, the Sarawak Report had not contacted him for comments or ask him about such projects in his area.

Telang Usan is the size of the state of Johor.

Source: https://www.thestar.com.my/metro/metro-news/2018/06/13/call-for-macc-to-investigate-assemblyman-says-over-rm1bil-too-high-a-price-for-rural-schools-solar-p/