Cabinet to discuss holiday proposal for Malaysia Day

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/9/19/nation/20060919143959&sec=nation

Tuesday September 19, 2006

Cabinet to discuss holiday proposal for Malaysia Day

Update by The Star Newsdesk

BY MUGUNTAN VANAR

KOTA KINABALU: The Cabinet is prepared to discuss the issue of whether Sept 16 or Malaysia Day should be declared a national public holiday.

Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said that they would need to listen to the views of Cabinet members on the proposal sought by Sabah and Sarawak.

We have to deliberate on this in the Cabinet to get their (members’) response. In reality, we should celebrate only one National Day, that is Aug 31," he told reporters after opening the 21st Parti Bersatu Sabah Congress where founding president Datuk Joseph Pairin Kitingan was returned unopposed as the partys leader.

Najib said the government was however open to discussion.

On Saturday, Culture, Art and Heritage Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim had said that Sabah and Sarawak should officially ask the Cabinet to declare Sept 16 to be made a national public holiday.

Actually, Malaysia Day was supposed to be on Aug 31 but because of some extraneous circumstances at that time (1963), it was delayed to Sept 16, Najib explained.

[…]

so what is the different between Malaysia Day and National Day?

Boleh tolong explain?
8) :oops:

GRRrr.

Double standards again.

National Day is where Persekutuan Tanah Melayu merdeka dari jajahan Union Jack DENGAN BANTUAN Sarawak dan Sabah and also Singapura(but they make a smart move by kuar afterward)

Hari Malaysia bila Malaysia ditubuhkan secara rasmi dgn gabungan Sarawak,Sabah dan Persekutuan Tanah Melayu. 13 Negeri dan 1 wilayah persekutuan…later Labuan SOLD to federal…

Understand? With us(SARAWAK), Tanah Melayu wont be able to free from Union Jack FOREVER!!! And yet we only get about 5% of Oil and Gas royality.

[quote=“chilskater”]National Day is where Persekutuan Tanah Melayu merdeka dari jajahan Union Jack DENGAN BANTUAN Sarawak dan Sabah and also Singapura(but they make a smart move by kuar afterward)

Hari Malaysia bila Malaysia ditubuhkan secara rasmi dgn gabungan Sarawak,Sabah dan Persekutuan Tanah Melayu. 13 Negeri dan 1 wilayah persekutuan…later Labuan SOLD to federal…

Understand? With us(SARAWAK), Tanah Melayu wont be able to free from Union Jack FOREVER!!! And yet we only get about 5% of Oil and Gas royality.[/quote]

so u mean, National day when Malaysia is free from Union Jack is on 31 Aug. and Malaysia Day is when we all gambung together and it is on 16 Sept?

in this is the case, then I think we should celebrate twice la in Sarawak. One is helping tanah melayu to break free from Union Jack which we call national day and secondly is when we join them and form a solid country as what we call Malaysia today. hehehe… Good idea ler… :smiley: :smiley:

yup…but not many malaysian knew about it…we shud celebrate 16 spetember only coz that really historical moments for swak n sabah…31 ogos just gimmicj from the other side…

ya lah… i think the govt should just approve this as another holiday just to remember this special date ma… otherwise…not much ppl will remember this special day in future.

Honestly, i didn;t know until last night…hahaha… very bad in history la… :lol:

Ai yah don’t ask why lar, hands up all who wants another paid holiday!

Yeah there’s something about reading mousedeers crossing bridges and the chasing animals falling into the river that bores me too.

Wonder why it took them over 40 years to ‘realise’ this.

hahaha… this doesn;t really bother me la… coz holiday or no holiday… i still get paid. haha… just a day to remember. Yet… surely I will still support if need me to raise my hand, finger and feet as a vote. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: hahaha…

Paid holiday? I want! I want! :smiley: Yeh yeh another 12 hours overtime hehe :smiley:

Cn we (Swk & Sabah) jst celebrate it on our own instead of mkin it nationwide??!

Holiday or no holiday, I still work. Makes no differnce for me. Though I can ‘off’ anytime I like for my shopping, haircuts, etc. :smiley: And speaking of haircuts I need one already. :?