Brunei proposes compulsory all shop closing on Friday

Brunei, who has launched the ‘Wawasan 2035 Negara Zikir’, a national goal which intends it to be the purest Islamic state, and a regional spiritual and learning center for Islam in Southeast Asia by the year 2035, has proposed a compulsory act to close all shops in the country for nearly 2 hours every Friday.

Brunei Legislative Council (LegCo) Buiilding

This come after the oil-rich Sultanate designated IRK (Islamic Religious Knowledge) as a compulsory core subject to be studied in schools by both Muslim and non-Muslim students in 2010, began drafting Sharia laws to be adopted and implemented across the country in 2011, and placed a 3-day limitation on Chinese New Year lion dance performance earlier this year.

The state has been increasingly devoted itself to religion in recent years, which spooked businesses and investors. Non-petroleum Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) into Brunei plunged 30% in Q2 last year, while the country now has the lowest economic growth (GDP) among all its ASEAN peers.

Brunei also records the lowest tourist arrivals in Southeast Asia, more than 3 times less than Myanmar, the next lowest in list. Its tourism reputation was stained in 2008 when Brunei raided an international hotel while it celebrated New Year’s Eve, drawing attention across world’s medias. Real standard of living in the country, adjusting to inflation, has dropped below 1985 level.

Brunei capital, Bandar Seri Begawan

At the 8th LegCo session yesterday, Brunei Minister of Religious Affairs, YB Pengiran Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohammad bin Pengiran Haji Abdul Rahman supported a proposal to make it compulsory for all shops in the country to close for around 1 hour and 45 minutes during Friday prayer as a respect to the religion and to prevent Muslims from “wandering around” during Friday prayer.

He said this proposal is also in line with the nation’s aspiration to be a Nation of Zikir by 2035.

YB Pengiran Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohammad said the level of faith among the Muslims in the country is high and their awareness not to be absent from Friday prayer is also high. He said mosques around the country during Friday prayer are always full, and in fact the ministry had received requests for mosque enlargement to accommodate worshippers during Friday prayer. He attributed the level of faith in the country to the successful religious programmes and “awareness efforts” played by the ministry and the cooperation from the media such as publication of content of “Khutbah Jumaat”.

Nevertheless, he said the Ministry of Religious Affairs through the Syariah Affairs Department had in the past (April 2004) taken action against Muslims caught not performing Friday prayer, through joint patrols by the Religious Enforcement Unit, with the police, immigration officers as well as penghulus and village heads. Officers also had carried out patrols at commercial buildings, he said.

“I believe this initiative is good, as it follows the Islamic teachings by giving warning before giving punishment,” he said. To prevent Muslims from avoiding Friday prayer, the minister repeated the calls for all shops in Brunei to be closed temporarily during Friday prayer from 12pm to 1.45pm.

Brunei to go ‘ghost country’ for 2 hrs every Friday?

Source:

http://www.brudirect.com/index.php/Loca … rayer.html

http://www.bt.com.bn/legco/2012/03/04/c … ay-prayers

Kelantan had practice this long time ago. Before friday prayer, the shop (even supermarket) closed for few hours and reopen after friday prayer.
The non-muslim there already getting used to it and doesn’t complaint much.

2 hours is nothing. Its not like Brunei is a shopping heaven. Besides most of their citizen come down to Miri for shopping anyway.

[quote=“soundsyst64”]Kelantan had practice this long time ago. Before friday prayer, the shop (even supermarket) closed for few hours and reopen after friday prayer.
The non-muslim there already getting used to it and doesn’t complaint much.[/quote][quote=“soundsyst64”]Kelantan had practice this long time ago. Before friday prayer, the shop (even supermarket) closed for few hours and reopen after friday prayer.
The non-muslim there already getting used to it and doesn’t complaint much.[/quote]

And your PM just said something :wink:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi … sec=nation

[quote=“mevotex”]
And your PM just said something :wink:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi … sec=nation[/quote]

Sorry. I don’t trust everything that PM said, especially from Mass media. XD

Sabah full with foreigners whch mahathir give them IC

On the other hand, you shouldn’t mix a country with a state - the entire nation shut down is not very ideal. Kelantan’s GDP is around US$3.8 billion, this is 1.5% of Malaysia’s GDP - if the retail industry is proportionate, only 1.5% of the country’s shops would be affected.

In Brunei’s case, 100% would be affected. The 2-hr is on noon time, which is one of the busiest time for retail everyday, this is undesirable to business and GDP.

for them heaven is more important than money.
hahahahahah

Right, Friday and Sunday are off-days to many in Brunei. Which mean if enacted many might go to Miri for shopping instead. Good news for your city but a concern for me due to more capital outflow, another hit to Brunei’s already weak retail industry.

i dont think that brunei is largely affected just by closing the shops for 2 hours. they dont really focus on retail market, more solely on petroleum instead.

I think its good to save the earth. Off all the electricity

Right, Friday and Sunday are off-days to many in Brunei. Which mean if enacted many might go to Miri for shopping instead. Good news for your city but a concern for me due to more capital outflow, another hit to Brunei’s already weak retail industry.[/quote]

Capital Outflow: Here’s one thing many people in Malaysia don’t care/don’t realise how it impacts economy.

But in this case it’s good for Miri’s economy (outflow from Brunei) :stuck_out_tongue:

I see brunei is going down down down down…

Right, Friday and Sunday are off-days to many in Brunei. Which mean if enacted many might go to Miri for shopping instead. Good news for your city but a concern for me due to more capital outflow, another hit to Brunei’s already weak retail industry.[/quote]

Capital Outflow: Here’s one thing many people in Malaysia don’t care/don’t realise how it impacts economy.

But in this case it’s good for Miri’s economy (outflow from Brunei) :P[/quote]

on the other hand, all goods price will increase eventually bcoz the no of brunei ppl to shop in miri increasing. then, the local people will suffer with the hike of all goods price.

Or the authorities could banned people from leaving Brunei on Fridays.

on the other hand, all goods price will increase eventually bcoz the no of brunei ppl to shop in miri increasing. then, the local people will suffer with the hike of all goods price.

This is very true indeed. The ones that profits are businessmen but citizens suffer because we are competing with bruneians which have more purchasing power.

[quote=“united84”]

This is very true indeed. The ones that profits are businessmen but citizens suffer because we are competing with bruneians which have more purchasing power.[/quote]

i dont think it is Bruneian weekend shoppers we local are competing with but more likely high prices are caused by offshore workers with greater purchasing power who are making life miserable for average non offshore working Mirian competing for food, cars ,housing and other essentials.

Nevertheless, he said the Ministry of Religious Affairs through the Syariah Affairs Department had in the past (April 2004) taken action against Muslims caught not performing Friday prayer, through joint patrols by the Religious Enforcement Unit, with the police, immigration officers as well as penghulus and village heads. Officers also had carried out patrols at commercial buildings, he said.

if all going to masjid performing Friday prayer, then, what about the police, immigration officers and others who are conducting the patrols? if they busy patrolling during the Friday prayer, then they are the one who should be caught for not performing the prayer. :mrgreen:

I ain’t sure if anyone sees the contradiction there…

First, he says this measure is needed to stem people from wandering around not attending prayer. Then the next line he boasted about the ministry’s successful programs which led to people having high faith and even overcrowding the mosque.

Must have not been successful as he want huh? Why need to take the measure, just increase the efforts on the very successful programs :mrgreen:

[quote=“mevotex”]I ain’t sure if anyone sees the contradiction there…

First, he says this measure is needed to stem people from wandering around not attending prayer. Then the next line he boasted about the ministry’s successful programs which led to people having high faith and even overcrowding the mosque.

Must have not been successful as he want huh? Why need to take the measure, just increase the efforts on the very successful programs :mrgreen:[/quote]

looks like they are very good in ■■■■ and bull stories like our wonder G…
LOL