Boost for tourism and racial integration

SIBU: The formation of Sarawak Artistic, Entertainment and Creative Association provides a good platform to promote tourism and racial integration.

Pelawan assemblyman David Wong said members could use their creativity in promoting tourism in Borneo to draw visitors from far and near.

“About 90% of the urban population have never been to a longhouse in the rural area. So the association is a good platform to promote this,” he said at the launch of the association’s Sibu chapter.

Wong said the Dayak community makes up 52% of the state’s population and have their unique culture and heritage.

“I hope the association can help promote the culture and heritage of the Dayaks through various means, including social media,” he added.

Bukit Assek assemblyman Irene Chang, meanwhile, said more recognition should be given to art, entertainment and creativity as they were good contributors to the state’s economic development.

“A large number of the population are creative.

“Based on report by the US Bureau for Economic Analysis, art and creativity sectors contributed US$750bil to the nation’s economy,” she said.

On the local front, she said a school in Miri had produced a video on bullying in school which helped to educate the public on the matter and how they could help to prevent such incidents.

“I hope we can take the association to greater heights,” she said.

Association president Datuk Benny Jeremiah said the association was not so well-known in the state.

“Our headquarters is in Kuching. Last month we set up the Miri chapter.

“We want to network to promote art, entertainment and creativity among the people,” he said.

The Sibu chapter of the association is led by its chairman Gabriel Limbang.

Source: https://www.thestar.com.my/metro/metro-news/2019/06/26/boost-for-tourism-and-racial-integration/